What's new

Possible Release of Disney's "Song of the South"? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator

That wasn't even close to my "logic," or my argument.
This is about slavery, not just race. And slavery was brutal. Ehh, I'm too tired to argue, I was just trying to explain why the film is controversial, but the argument has been trivialized at this point.

Clay_E

Second Unit
As a side tangent to this whole thing, I note that there is a musical version of The Color Purple currently in preparation for Broadway...so the Animaniacs may yet get their day in the sun, after a fashion...

Eddie Estes

Agent
The argument that was made was the bringing up that Speilbergs directing The Color Purple was controversial because he was not black.

Song of the South has not been put out for a couple of reasons.
A) Fear of poor public relations(Unwarrented I think)
B) A liberal agenda that says we'll play to your feelings on this particular film. The film has nothing to do with slavery.
C) The feeling that all classic animation is for children. The same executives who fear putting out all the Classic Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry and similar films unedited are the same ones who defend the artistic freedom of Kid Rock, 50 Cent, and other vile crap like that and release it.
There you have it.

Eddie Estes

Agent

Let's see Micheal Eisner on the corporate level.
Roger Ebert on what I would call the public perception level.
The NAACP has not taken a position one way or another.

I am they would find it incredible to be called conservative.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I am NOT going to get into a political argument with you since it's against forum rules. I am simply stating that the idea that "liberals" are keeping this from being released it utterly ridiculous.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Political correctness is not necessarily a liberal or a conservative thing. However, I am of the opinion that it is a riduclous thing. If political correctness is the reason it the film is being withheld, then I do not like that one bit. I am opposed to political correctness in virtually all of its iterations.

While Song of the South may not be Disney's best film, I have always enjoyed it...ever since I saw it in kindergarten during it's 1986 re-release. I hope it sees a legitimate DVD release eventually. Do it as a Treasure, I don't care. I just hope to see it released. It is a fun, hearwarming story that I have always enjoyed.

Eddie Estes

Agent

We can debate it through email if you like but considering the factors holding the films release on DVD the chances of Me not winning said debate are extremely remote.
I was not discussing politics. I was stating that politics is one of the major factors as to why you can't buy this film.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Not nearly so remote as the chance that you'd convince me that you'd have won such a debate. And given that we both have a priori beliefs that we couldn't lose such a debate, having such a debate wouldn't be worth my time.

Eddie Estes

Agent

Thats a shame I thought I was going to have some fun with this.
On another note.
For the same reasons I listed above we(classic animation lovers)need to stay on Warner Home Video about the censored Tom and Jerry DVD collection. It was announced that it would be unedited and you see what we got out of them.
You can not agree with some of the attitudes shown in some of the 30-50s cartoons but censoring them or pretending they don't exist is a true disservice to people who can appreciate these films for the art that they are.

Eddie Estes

Agent
I don't want a fight. I was simply stating the fundamental reasons why I don't see Disney releasing this.
Political Correctness is the major sticking point.
Now if anybody can give me a reason (besides someones feelings being hurt if this film is released) where I was wrong in my points I welcome it.
I was talking about a reasonable rational debate over the issues I raised.
It always amazes me how Walt Disney or Tex Avery, and Bob Clampett made these films through hard work but some lawyer or useless bean counter can stop them from being appreciated.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I agree with Eddie. It's political correctness, plain and simple.

Otherwise Disney would have released this long ago.

It's patronizing and insulting to people's intelligence for Disney to withold such a classic film because some are afraid people won't understand its historical context.

And yes, it's origin is a collectivist attitude that the feelings of the group trump the thought of the individual.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That's more than a little unfair. Disney is a company whose core business evolved from mass-marketing anything associated with the Disney brand to children and families. Since they have been phenomenally successful in associating the Disney brand with family entertainment, it makes sense that they would take longer to release archival titles that could confuse or sully their brand. While I find this unfortunate and probably a little unimaginative on their part, I certainly do not find it patronizing and insulting to my intelligence.

Regards,

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Since they have been phenomenally successful in associating the Disney brand with family entertainment, it makes sense that they would take longer to release archival titles that could confuse or sully their brand.

Too bad they didn't think about such things before producing their straight-to-video cheapquel garbage the last ten years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks