What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (2 Viewers)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
AlanP said:
I was holding out for the annual DD summer sale to order PP. I realized I had a gift card from BB. I went into BB today and used my gift card and got it.........
It carries a nice price from BB. $37 and change with tax.............
If DD does actually push the sale to the second half of July this year, as has been rumored/corroborated, anyone interested should be able to snag the second season in a timely fashion for a great price.
DD's sales, for anyone not familiar with them, typically yield discounts in the 40-50% off msrp range. We should be able to get season 2 for ~$24.

jej2252

Grip
Real Name
jerome
Have just started watching the set tonight. Love it!!!
Hope the whole series gets released and why not the NBC soap as well as the two reunion movies???

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK, Jerome- please make sure to contact Shout! Factory and tell them that they're doing a great job, and that you want more!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I have just finished the first two discs of PP.

My theory is that the darker shorter episodes must be the ones used for syndication. As they are shorter and not as clear.

Observations about the series, thus far. The scripts are superior and the acting is amazing. I really am enjoying seeing them again. I do not remember very much from these early episodes what so ever. I remember the basic story line. Henry Beckman reminds me of Arthur Kennedy in the film. He would have made a great Lucas Cross, had the Cross family made it to the series. Dororthy Malone and Kasey Rogers are OUTSTANDING in their respective roles. The writing at the beginning was excellent as was the character development. The cinematography was gorgeous and the B and W looks stunning !!!!

REVIEW to be CONTINUED ..............................

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I haven't gone through the whole thread, but has anybody mentioned that Mickey Dolenz should be in some episode of the next set (if there is one).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
A couple questions for the PP Savants out there-

Does anyone know when Leigh Taylor-Young comes on board? Was her character basically an attempt at a substitution for Mia Farrows following her departure? Do her eps mark the decline of the series?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
My personal opinion when I watched it back years ago Rachel arrived and everyone knew Allison was gone not to be replaced. It left A HUGE VOID in the series. It was like on "DALLAS" when Pam vanished from the hospital. Everyone knew that Victoria left the series. Same on "DYNASTY" when Fallon left Pamela Sue Martin. I think "DYNASTY" was smarter replacing Fallon although Emma Samms and PSM were nothing alike. Leigh Taylor Young would have made a terrific ALLISON. If they would have waited a few months she could have easily slipped into the role. In my opinion after Allison left, I lost all interest in the series. I became a casual watcher now and then. And after they wrote out Constance and Elliot, I lost total interest. Allison character was pivotal in the show. And many things were coming to a conclusion with that story arc and she vanished. Anyone that read the books and saw the films felt cheated that she was gone. Grace Metalious states that Constance and Allison represented facets of her personality. And you really get that feeling after reading "INSIDE PEYTON PLACE". I know many here on the forum will disagree with me about her departure. You can judge for yourself. My favorite arc in the series is when MIA disappears for awhile on a cruise with Sinatra, what to do on the series, they have ALLISON in a COMA, victim of a hit and run. And at the same time Dorothy Malone is rushed into open heart surgery and replaced for six weeks by Lola Albright in the series. Now they replaced Constance for awhile. Why could not they have replaced Mia when she wanted out. So, you have the two main actresses off the show for the same time. They film various shots of Mia in bed comatose, when Connie and Elliot came to visit. Oh well that is show biz I guess !!!!!!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Romain, I truly did enjoy my birthday, thank you very much.
And, after sunset last evening, I did, indeed, take a good look at Peyton Place.
And I liked what I saw.
Once the first episodes got you going...I can see how it is easy to be hooked.
I am now!!!!!!!
Thus, I shall be making Part Two a must-buy upon release next month!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And the Fox tag at the end is very cool.
At least Fox is letting some of their titles out to play in other ballparks such as Shout's!!!!!!!!!! Even if TDK is inactive at this time!!!!! ;)
Which, in turn, is not bad for some of us TV DVD afficianados!!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Scott said:
A couple questions for the PP Savants out there-
Does anyone know when Leigh Taylor-Young comes on board? Was her character basically an attempt at a substitution for Mia Farrows following her departure? Do her eps mark the decline of the series?
She appears for the first time only a few episodes after Allison's departure (one of the last B/W episodes, so we never get Allison in color), in September 1966. Yes, she was the first in a series of would-be replacements for Allison's place as the show's ingenue, and she gave an excellent performance as Rachel. From an artistic standpoint, PP was still must-see TV at this time mostly due to the shenaningans caused by Martin Peyton at the big house. If real life hadn't intervened, Leigh would've been a fulltime cast member. That's when she was followed by Joyce Jillson and Elizabeth 'Tippy' Walker in the show's last year as the 'new Allisons'. The whole Russell family storyline was a blatant rehash of events from the first movie and the early storyline when Mike was dating Connie and Allison was trying to find her place in the world.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Leigh Taylor-Young is a great actress and from what I've read around the web, her storyline as Rachel Welles on PEYTON PLACE seems very interesting and quite sad. Could you elaborate on your "if real life hadn't intervened" comment, please, Charles? Did Leigh Taylor-Young's offscreen romance with Ryan O'Neal somehow accelerate her exit from the show?
Also, has anyone heard about sales for Part 1 so far? I realize this may be a little early to ask, but I'm loving what I'm seeing and am hoping the show is selling reasonably enough that further volumes beyond Part 2 could find their way to the stores sooner rather than later. I'm looking forward to seeing the likes of Lee Grant and Gena Rowlands stir up some trouble for the smalltown folks of Peyton Place, Massachusetts.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tina glad you had a great Birthday!!! Chas yes Mickey Dolenz has a very important part in the show. He is acts in one or two back to back episodes. He helps usher in a new star for the show who remains to the end of the run. Kitch I beleive was his character name.

Dark Shadows and Peyton Place fans who own year 1 of the DS series in dvd or vhs have a great treat at the end of each episode. DS plugs Peyton Place quite frequently. DS gives plot high points for the coming nights episode and also gives the date of the Dark Shadows episode. The Peyton Place episode that concerns Rachel 10/10/66 Norman and Rita go on a camping trip and make a discovery. The set is very good it has a great haunted house atmosphere to it and an owl hooting away as I remember.

I have two August dates 8/1/66 "The truth comes out". The other 8/27/66 "Secrets revealed". The timeline from 1966 thru 67 I really enjoyed. Martin Peyton is at his best and I loved the all the guest stars in this period. The movie actors and the supporting tv stars.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Lee Grant is A WOW on the series. Her role as Stella Chernak is great and she plays the role to the hilt. Again, it has been forty years since, I have seen this series.

Mark you mention DS. I always thought of Victoria and Allison as similar types.

It is funny I lost interest in DS after Alexandra Moltke left that show as well. I used to rush home every day from school not to miss DS. At least they tried a few times to resurrect Victoria with new actresses assuming the role. Betsy Durkin that was one that resemble Monica Lewinsky to me. I was watching the reruns on SCI FI and that thought struck me. She was not very good as Victoria. I can see why they let her go quickly.

Back to Allison after a year, they should have brought her back with a new person assuming the role. They replaced stars many times on the daytime soaps many times. I remember on "Another World" Rachel was originally played by Robin Strasser and Victoria Wyndham took over and no one ever missed Robin Strasser !!!! It was as if Victoria had been Rachel forever.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding LTY and Ryan: they met on the set, fell for each other and soon got married and then Leigh was pregnant, which led to her departure from the show.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Mark Collins said:
Dark Shadows and Peyton Place fans who own year 1 of the DS series in dvd or vhs have a great treat at the end of each episode. DS plugs Peyton Place quite frequently. DS gives plot high points for the coming nights episode and also gives the date of the Dark Shadows episode. The Peyton Place episode that concerns Rachel 10/10/66 Norman and Rita go on a camping trip and make a discovery. The set is very good it has a great haunted house atmosphere to it and an owl hooting away as I remember.
I have two August dates 8/1/66 "The truth comes out". The other 8/27/66 "Secrets revealed".
I never thought about it before but... is there no source (besides the Dark Shadows dvds) that gives the original broadcast airdates for each PP episode?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just got back from mowing my lawn and a quick trip to McDonalds. Love seeing all the Post's!!!! First Romain: Leigh as you must know made it to Dallas. The last Dallas DVD out actually she did a great job I thought. Like Alan though the show tanked after Pam left.

The date thing yes there is to the question. I will have to go back and check my PP folder it has all kinds of stuff I collected over the years. I will find it and share.

Peyton Place had it's own Ricky Ricardo Jr and Pebbles Flintstone blessed event. The ratings were great so history said. The date Dr Morton gave for the birth was September 12th 1966. This was stated two or three shows before the date.

Black and White to color; The Last Black and White episode ended with Steven and two delviery men entering the Peyton House and dumpying a trunk at the feet of Martin Peyton and Hannah Cord.

The Color episode brings in new shots of everyone and Pat who was added after Mia left in the black and white opening. The show picks up with Hannah not very glad about the trunk and it's contents. She tells Martin to beware the Woman Scorned arqument. She delivered the line beautifully.

Gena shows up right after Rachel leaves the next episode I believe. The show aired in the summer of 1967. Lee Grant as Alan stated was fantastic as Stella. She was up for twin emmys that year she won for Peyton Place. The other a movie of the week with none other then Denise Nickerson.

The exchange between she and Martin Peyton at the Peyton house was nothing but shear delight!!!! Stella and Mike had just come from the beach house. The episode before has Mike and Stella infront of the fireplace while Stella talkes of her past life. Stella's theme is playing in the background and Mike's expressions as she talks was great. Then the snow coming down as she and Mike arrive at the Peyton House. I think these two episodes may have been some of the finest writing directing set decoration in the whole series! The two episodes I spoke of cannot be missed.

Alan keep your reviews coming on the set. Jack enjoy your summer off. Charles if I get any facts wrong please correct me. You are Peyton Place and I mean that most greatfully.

Mark

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, Mark, Lee Grant wasn't running against herself in 1966, that was four years later, when she won her second Emmy for The Neon Ceiling. That's the TV-movie she did with DS's Denise Nickerson. The other movie she was in that year (for which she was also nominated) was Ransom for a Dead Man, the second pilot film for Columbo.
The first shot from the first color show was that of Betty walking thru the town square. The opening narration refers to her as a 'housewife' (!).
Was Kent Smith still on the show as Dr. Morton in the fall of '66? I could've sworn by that time Mike Rossi was the chief of staff over at Doctor's Hospital when the town's newsest citizen was born.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Everyone is so knowledgeable around this thread, it's really a nice read! Thanks for the clarification about why Leigh Taylor-Young had to leave the show. I actually never warmed up to DALLAS (out of the four prime-time soaps of the '80s, KNOTS LANDING is my show) but I definitely remember catching a glimpse of her on there while channel-surfing during one of the show's numerous reruns on French TV. I'm more familiar with her award-winning performance as Rachel Harris on David E. Kelley's PICKET FENCES (another favorite show of mine).
Also, out of curiosity, when did Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins start appearing in the opening credits? I find it almost unbelievable that they have Warner Anderson in there (even though he's the narrator) and much more central characters like Rodney and Betty have to make do with a closing credits mention.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
whisperintherain said:
Also, out of curiosity, when did Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins start appearing in the opening credits? I find it almost unbelievable that they have Warner Anderson in there (even though he's the narrator) and much more central characters like Rodney and Betty have to make do with a closing credits mention.
I don't know the exact date but I watched an episode from August 1965 last night and they were already in the main title so it was before the official start of the second season.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi I love it when good buddie Charles proves me wrong. I had forgot all about the Columbo episode. How could I she was grate especially during the airplane ride.

Charles is also right about the color episode but I am as well. Betty is shown first walking toward Steven's office. Midway through the episode if not the end of the episode Martin confronts Hannah and then the fun begins.

Dr Morton was spoke of in reference to the Birth date. I really do not know when his last episode aired. I know Kent joined the Invaders in it's second season as a cast regular.

Mike left Peyton Place for a few episodes. Charles may know why I do not. Dr Feilding took over Mike's practice which included a very special patient Martin Peyton. Mike left as Connie and Elliot were trying to decide about bringing Rachel into their home. Connie packs Mike suitcase which he had trouble closing. Mike takes a last look at his office and leaves.

Mike returns to Peyton Place on the same day Martin Peyton returns to the Peyton House, after a brief stay at Doctors Hospital. Mike comes back in a new red sports car which to me looked like Paul Hanleys car. He talks with Eli and later shows up at the Carson home where he informs the residents he is the new Chief of Staff at the hospital.

Betty and Rod appear for the first time in the credits of the next episode after the famous shooting at the Peyton House. The above will be in Peyton Place part 2.

Keep asking questions people I love it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks