What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
David Levine said:
That all sounds great, but the Fugitive has a much bigger following - and it didn't sell that well. Definitely not enough to recoup the cost of the remastering. So to not lose their shirts on the deal, they hopefully had a big deal to sell the show into syndication.
Just to clarify, The Fugitive did sell well enough to keep more sets coming, correct?

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Okay... I'm going to speak out on this remastering issue, something I have rarely done on this forum. When the series was announced, I thoroughly expected that some people would not be happy with the condition of the print quality. Having purchased this set from someone who had prints copied from the Romance Channel run, the prints seem to be complete (at least the first 200 episodes or so that I have watched in the last year and a half that I've had the set), but they were in deplorable (Yes, DEPLORABLE) condition. Film dirt, splices, lines that must come from age, all detracting from the quality. But it has NOT kept me from falling in love with this show, it's characters, or it's storyline. I have rarely ever purchased any show that was not officially released by the studio, but I really never thought this one would see the light of day.

I have watched the first five episodes, merely for quality inspection, and I have to say that these are in much better condition than what was aired years ago. Are they perfect? No. Are they better than what I had? Yes... And to be honest, since it was not coming from Fox but from Shout!, I expected worse then what I have seen thus far. If nothing else, it appears they returned to original negatives to strike new prints. (Can anyone verify this?) Does that count for anything? I think it does.

I understand the frustration people feel when quality seems to vary on DVD releases, and I understand if some refuse to buy because they feel it is sub par for their standard of quality. That is certainly their perogative to not buy, and to feel let down.

I believe the quality of the show itself outweighs these issues. I'm sure the quality could have been better, but as a fan of this show, I am happy to have officially sanctioned sets. I will continue to purchase future sets from Shout!, and will support this product. The acting, the writing, and the superior production values makes this worth the price for me.

FWIW, that's where I stand!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
David Levine said:
I dunno. Depends on how big of a champion the show has at Paramount. Hopefully.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it's going to cause the people who panic over any and everything to freak out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Jack Cleveland said:
If nothing else, it appears they returned to original negatives to strike new prints. (Can anyone verify this?) Does that count for anything? I think it does.
Charles-
Do you or anyone else know if they used the original negatives from Fox for this set?

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
A 1966 close has been posted on YouTube. Looks like it's taken from a network print as it includes the complete'brought to you' by message. Interestingly it does not include the animated TCF-TV bit at the end but goes straight from the sponsor tag to the ABC presentation card. Here it is.
YouTube - Peyton Place close 1966
I have a network print of an early Peyton Place episode, so I must look it out and see if it's the same.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Jack Cleveland said:
Charles-
Do you or anyone else know if they used the original negatives from Fox for this set?
Your guess is as good as mine, but as I said before, what's on DVD is ten times better than what was shown on cable in print quality.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
stuartfanning said:
A 1966 close has been posted on YouTube. Looks like it's taken from a network print as it includes the complete'brought to you' by message. Interestingly it does not include the animated TCF-TV bit at the end but goes straight from the sponsor tag to the ABC presentation card. Here it is.
YouTube - Peyton Place close 1966
I have a network print of an early Peyton Place episode, so I must look it out and see if it's the same.
Found it. It is this episode.
Season 2, Episode 102: Episode #2.102
Original Air Date—10 May 1966
Dr. Rossi tells Rita she is not pregnant, but not sleeping and eating enough. Martin Peyton wants a new will and is determined to contact Ann's father. Steven and Betty prepare for a plan against Martin Peyton. Betty offers to be his spy.
In this episode they do have the TCF TV animation after the sponsor tag, followed by a public service message and the ABC presentation card.
Still awaiting delivery of the DVD's. I should get them during the week as I'm in England.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Lets see how old would Norman and Rita's baby be now ........................

Anyway, if you guys want more PEYTON PLACE you best follow that link and VOTE, i just did and it is not PULLING HIGH NUMBER'S at this point ranking near the bottom of the list............Get yourselves over there and VOTE NOW. Or we will be lucky to see Constance and Elliot's wedding take place !!!! That should happen around Volume 3.................... SO VOTE NOW and OFTEN !!!!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan I voted and also wanted to add that Borders also has one copy of the show. With BB and on line retailers I hope that means the show will continue at Shout. I do not understand about the quality issues. I think it looks great!!! Beauty in the eye of the beholder syndrome. Peyton Place was my first love of tv shows then came Dark Shadows. DS certainly has lot of quality issues but look how it has sold. We fans love that show just as fans old new will love Peyton Place. Charles said they look a heck of lot better on DVD then when broadcast which is true. For those of us who are lucky enough in these rough times to own on HD tv we can run them thru a blu-ray machine and the results are fantastic!! I run all my dvds thru it. I collect Dallas except the year without Bobby. Dallas is very grainy and not up to todays standards. I was not going into this because there is nothing left to say that has not been stated. I just felt watching the show this past weekend I had a new set of glasses. The audio is great too. I do not have the muffled sort of sound. I hope Shout stays with it I would be so crushed if they did not.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Eveyone please remember to place your pre-orders for Set# 2 with Amazon and other retailers, and do go to the Shout! Factory site to drop a note of thanks and encourage them to do more (commentaries from surviving stars and other extras, including network promos) regarding future volumes of PP. We've come this far- we can go even further!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
As happy as I am to find more people who adore this...I am sorry that so many are disappointed in how it looks.

It is wonderful to wish for a "re-do", but...this is reality talking: I do not see it happening.

I do not know anyone in my huge base of friends and family who has bought this but me....I work for a major retailer in a major US city, and we have not sold one except to myself.

As sad as this makes me, and as eager as I am for more, i am happy with having it at all...I can only hope they release the whole series someday, let alone remaster the thing......but, perhaps that is just "me". And......."Thanks Shout Factory" should become my new signature, because I am thrilled with them.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
If that reviewer's claim that Shout! Factory is committed to many more volumes is true, we need to contact them and tell them we want more! They have a toll-free number: (866) 604-0562, and you can also contact customer service via e-mail: [email protected].

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Charles done and I also left a message on their website. I asked about future release like Sept and were the release's going to depend on sales. The person could tell me nothing he just said watch their web site. I also told him many thanks for the release. I love the show cannot wait until July.

Mark

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've sent my e-mail to Shout! and this is what I wrote:
Thanks ever so much for putting Peyton Place on DVD! This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I am so grateful you guys have packaged it so well: the menus are excellent, and the discs are put into slim packaging that will fit on many a bookshelf with future volumes.
The only downers are the lack of extras (hopefully that can be corrected) and the fact that Fox gave you some episodes that are in serious need of remastering. Despite that, you're off to a great start. The reviews I've read in publications like Entertainment Weekly are nothing short of glowing, and even online DVD reviewers love the collection, too!
Some suggestions for the future: please try to locate the 1973 TV special Fox produced called Peyton Place Revisited- it aired once on ABC and is a retrospective with rare interviews with Mia Farrow, Christopher Connelly, Patricia Morrow, and other cast members. I'm sure the master tape exists in the Fox vaults. Also, how about some interviews/commentaries from surviving cast members, like Miss Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Ed Nelson, Lee Grant and Barbara Parkins?
Look at the success MPI has had with Dark Shadows- a show with more than twice the episodes of Peyton Place. Aggressive marketing, along reaching out to the show's fan base helped (I should know- I've the entire series on DVD!) Shout! Factory should start placing ads in publications like TV Guide, Soap Opera Digest, and Entertainment Weekly, along with TV ads for the Peyton Place DVD sets. This what MPI did in promoting Dark Shadows.
I've been spreading the word on various TV, home video and soap opera message boards about the DVD release of PP. There is a fan base for this show that is more than willing to help. I have ordered the upcoming second set thru Amazon, and hope more will be coming soon! Charles Ellis
P.S.: If you need my assistance in any way, I (and other fans) am at your disposal.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
I've sent an email telling them what a great job they're doing with Peyton Place and other tv shows. I also told them that I would buy them as they were released and so would many at the Home Theater Forum. Positive reinforcement goes along way.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

You forgot to mention the original PILOT in your letter, I guess I will follow up with that remark. I am still intrigued how the CROSS family was portrayed in that pilot.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks