What's new

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
WaveCrest said:
What is the general picture/print quality like for the episodes in the first season DVD set?
Picture quality is okay, not great (judging from the two I've seen). Since the show is actually good, it's bearable.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Guy Foulard said:
Picture quality is okay, not great (judging from the two I've seen). Since the show is actually good, it's bearable.
Thats kind of surprising based on other reviews in this thread and other places that say the picture quality is very good. I'll wait till I see my copies but all of the Warner Archive TV releases so far that I have seen: Tarzan, Daktari, The FBI, Cheyenne, The Girl From Uncle, Courtship of Eddies Father have all had very good to Excellent picture quality.
Do you watch alot of 70's TV on DVD that you can ccmpare this with or do you mainly watch newer programs?

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Randy Korstick said:
Do you watch alot of 70's TV on DVD that you can ccmpare this with or do you mainly watch newer programs?
Comparing it to the better-looking CBS/Paramount releases like Mannix & Hawaii Five-O etc., it doesn't look as good, since it isn't (to my knowledge) remastered for high definition. These are old prints. Like the FBI and Medical Center prints, there's some variation in quality. Like I said, it's not terrible, like the worst Timeless series, but it's not going to be a demo disc for how good an old TV show can look on a modern TV. I still recommend it!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were all 16mm transfers, I'd still buy it. (That is if WB accepted foreign orders) As long as the sound wasn't nobbled and it was uncut without any tampering.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Watched one of the episodes on the first disc just now. Not bad.
Clearly not as good as the HD derived CBS/Paramount transfers, nor as pretty as some of the better looking eps of Medical Center, Courtship, or Girl from UNCLE I've seen, but clear, watchable and well compressed/encoded. The shooting style, mid 70s time frame, and conditions of the show also have something to do with the subdued look as well i would expect.
I'm watching on 19" monitor, though even at this size I can tell that things like Lost In Space and the later seasons of Mary Tyler Moore are not anywhere as good as this Harry O set in terms of image quality.
The sound seems fine, but the problem is Janssen was always a mumbler so some of his lines get lost on me.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Subtitles would've been a good thing I always support those features, but that's a WHV exclusive of course and not WAC. Anyway, looking forward to seeing it I'm sure it's quite acceptable as all their releases so far have been (including older titles like The F.B.I.), the TV recordings I have of it all look fine so this certainly shouldn't look worse than those but very much as one expect TV of this vintage. Judging by Warner's own preview clip it looks very nice indeed.

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I just got the Harry O dvd set.The episodes I viewed are around 52 minutes long.I like that the set is pressed and I realize these Warner releases
will be higher priced than the standard release.Picture quality is acceptable without having been remastered.I am happy with set and hope they release season 2.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was too young when I first saw this to appreciate some of the more subtle nuances of HARRY-O. Love the camera work, the angles, the shots through objects, the location backgrounds. Also love the mood of the show. Am savoring season one and hoping for season two by the end of the year ... wishful thinking but why not.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My pressed Harry-O disc two won't play the last 5 minutes of EYEWITNESS either on my player or my computer. Anyone else have a similar problem with that episode?

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I think you might have a defective disc because mine played through fine.
I agree with you that this is a great show and I'm also looking forward to the release of Season Two.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Carabimero said:
My pressed Harry-O disc two won't play the last 5 minutes of EYEWITNESS either on my player or my computer. Anyone else have a similar problem with that episode?
Mine plays fine, too. You should try to get a replacement soon, while the pressed discs are still available.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I called Warner Archives and spoke with a very nice lady who said I could return my set for a replacement set. When I asked if the replacement set would contain discs also pressed, she said, "That's all we've got." When I asked if sales might justify a second season she said, "I wish I had that information." Very helpful, kind folks over there.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Fortunately they've already said on their FB page wall that S2 is coming shortly after S1, so I guess we can count on that.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just watched DOUBLE JEOPARDY from HARRY-O season one. The scene at the end with Kurt Russell and David Janssen in the car reminded me a bit of THE FUGITIVE episode NEMESIS. When Janssen asked Russell what his real name was, I so badly wanted him to say, "Phil Gerard, Jr." Here they are, all grown up, and Dr. Kimble is still looking out for Gerard's son:)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Yes, It's been released. Thank you Warner.
79f81c86_1000382306-w370.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks