What's new

Petition for Harry O to be Released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes good news on Season two. I haven't finished Season 1 yet but will definately be getting season 2 on the next sale. I have a strong feeling this is going to be a great year for Warner Archive with classic TV.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Guy Foulard said:
Comparing it to the better-looking CBS/Paramount releases like Mannix & Hawaii Five-O etc., it doesn't look as good, since it isn't (to my knowledge) remastered for high definition. These are old prints. Like the FBI and Medical Center prints, there's some variation in quality. Like I said, it's not terrible, like the worst Timeless series, but it's not going to be a demo disc for how good an old TV show can look on a modern TV. I still recommend it!
Which is why I don't use a "modern TV". Unless you are watching new shows or pristine remasters of old shows, its going to look like **** stepped on with a gigantic, HD, 16x9 television. Since I don't watch a great deal of new television and since pristine remasters are the exception rather than the norm, I'll stick with tube sets for as long as I can.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I'll stick with tube sets for as long as I can.
To each his own. I replaced my 32" tube with a 52" LCD panel last year (after putting a60" one in the basement the year before) and haven't regretted it once. The only stuff that looks "bad" is some old, off-air VHS stuff, but even that stuff doesn't look too bad from an acceptable viewing distance (and, being honest, that stuff didn't look all that great on the tube anyway). I don't think LCD panels make old stuff "look worse", it's just that remastered and HD stuff looks so much better by comparison (than it would if it was being beamed to a SD tube) that is the real shock to people. And, being able to watch all my imported PAL material in native PAL format without having to have an ugly, in-player standards conversion to NTSC is a light-year leap forward!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
Yes good news on Season two. I haven't finished Season 1 yet but will definately be getting season 2 on the next sale. I have a strong feeling this is going to be a great year for Warner Archive with classic TV.
It would be great if they released their television library at the same pace as their old movies. They're still sitting on a ton of stuff from the 50s and 60s: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, The Alaskans, Colt 45, Roaring 20s, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman, The Dakotas, Warner Brothers Presents/Conflict, King's Row, Casablanca, No Time For Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Hank, Cain's Hundred, Mr. Novak, Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, Asphalt Jungle, Jericho, Maya, Hondo, Man Called Shenandoah, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Father of the Bride, National Velvet, Northwest Passage, Dr. Kildare, Harry's Girls, the whole Lorimar library.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
AndyMcKinney said:
And, being able to watch all my imported PAL material in native PAL format without having to have an ugly, in-player standards conversion to NTSC is a light-year leap forward!
How do you do that, and with what kind of DVD player?

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I want it and will get it but $49 and change--no way. What a rip off. I'll wait till it comes down.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I usually can't wait. But I am tired of some of these studios overcharging for a set. Fifty bucks for a season set. Warner Archives has released a lot of great movies and shows but they make you pay top dollar. Maybe it has to do with MOD thing?

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I wonder if early orderers will get pressed copies like we did for Season 1, or if there will only be burned DVD-Rs for Season 2.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
It would be great if they released their television library at the same pace as their old movies. They're still sitting on a ton of stuff from the 50s and 60s: 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, The Alaskans, Colt 45, Roaring 20s, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman, The Dakotas, Warner Brothers Presents/Conflict, King's Row, Casablanca, No Time For Sergeants, Mr. Roberts, Hank, Cain's Hundred, Mr. Novak, Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict, Asphalt Jungle, Jericho, Maya, Hondo, Man Called Shenandoah, Travels of Jamie McPheeters, Father of the Bride, National Velvet, Northwest Passage, Dr. Kildare, Harry's Girls, the whole Lorimar library.
You forgot THE THIN MAN :)

BrianHass

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Hassel
I was hoping they were going to include the pilot film, Smile Jenny, You're Dead, so we wouldn't have to buy that one seperately.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
dhammer said:
I usually can't wait. But I am tired of some of these studios overcharging for a set. Fifty bucks for a season set. Warner Archives has released a lot of great movies and shows but they make you pay top dollar. Maybe it has to do with MOD thing?
Not really as Paramount apparently just increased Gunsmoke to $50.00 a half season or $100.00 a season. In both cases its best to wait for discounts which for Gunsmoke is already available of course online but we're still going to be paying $10.00 a set more than Season 1-7. Mannix retails for $49.99 as well. Warner archive is always having sales so just wait a bit if price is a concern. Season one was just $25% off 2 weeks ago

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Sky Captain said:
How do you do that, and with what kind of DVD player?
The biggest obstacle is finding a TV that has multi-system capabilities, because US TV sets capable of such a feat rarely, if ever, mention it in their documentation. I just did some online research and some practical, in-store research with a multi-system DVD player (one of the older Philips models that is NTSC/PAL/MULTI selectable). Just about any store I walked into was willing to let me hook my player up to test (why turn away a potential sale?). What I've found is that it's mostly down to brand. US models of Panasonic and Samsung are notorious for not being compatible with PAL or 1080i/50. I think it's pretty much company policy for these two brands to lock-out foreign refresh rates. On the other hand, brands like Vizio, Philips, LG and Sony are PAL-friendly, on component and HDMI connections (among the models I tested) and Sharp is PAL compatible on all A/V inputs except the tuner (yes, it's even PAL-compatible on composite, so if you have a PAL VCR, you can play back your old VHS tapes without using a standards converter). --- The other half of the equation is having a player that won't force a standards conversion in the machine. "Newer" Philips machines (all models after the 5140, such as the 5182, 5990, etc) force a conversion to NTSC, unless you have hacked firmware. However, even a hack won't give you PAL output if you use the HDMI connection (the player then forces a downconversion to NTSC before upscaling to HD). If you use Component, however, you're okay. What I did was get an Oppo BDP-83. You just set your output to MULTI and that way, your NTSC stuff plays natively, and your PAL and 1080i/50 stuff plays natively, too. I'm sure there are cheaper players that will also output native PAL through HDMI, but the Oppo has superior DVD upscaling anyway and I didn't already have a blu-ray player, so it was a no-brainer for me.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
hypnohighball said:
That's another reason I went ahead and ordered, to be sure of it.
Ordering late doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a burned set instead of pressed. I ordered Night Court S6 a good 6 or 7 months after release, and got a pressed set. And I would guess Night Court is one of the more popular series from the Archives. /doesn't mean I didn't order S8 early, just to be sure.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is good to see Harry O is now complete. I have the series on my agenda, but not until the price comes down. I have to order the set from amazon.com and it is too expensive. I am wondering if this means we could see O'Hara Treasury Agent as well. David Jansens was an amazing talent!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
It is good to see Harry O is now complete. I have the series on my agenda, but not until the price comes down. I have to order the set from amazon.com and it is too expensive. I am wondering if this means we could see O'Hara Treasury Agent as well. David Jansens was an amazing talent!!
Why would you assume that? O'Hara is owned by Universal, not Warner Brothers.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
Why would you assume that? O'Hara is owned by Universal, not Warner Brothers.
Ne The focus is on David Janssen as such i was hoping who own rights for O'Hara Treasury Agent would look at that show being released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks