What's new

Peter Jackson & Crew talk ROTK Extended Edition DVD and much more (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If King Kong is a Dec 2005 release, I wouldn't expect the LOTR box set until sometime in 2007 at the earliest in order to allow time to actually work on it.

I certainly hope HD-DVD is available by then.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

If they break the ice with a DVD megabox for '05, then the subsequent HD-DVD ('06?) product might endup being a 1080 port of the same product.

I should get off the soapbox, there's no way I'm buying any forthcoming DVD megabox and my wife has made it clear there will be no HD-DVD in my future...

DanFe

Second Unit
If you read the quote again, it is quite possible he isn't talking about Hi-Def editions of the movies, but the extras he wants to bring out (e.g., bloopers, etc.). I wouldn't get too excited.

"I'd like to do a proper box set and we've got a whole bunch of material - not of the movie but we've got a whole lot of bloopers out there! When King Kong's out the way I'd like to do a really high definition version with the best possbile picture quality."

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
about 30 minutes ago Billy Boyd was on a UK Chat Show Good Morning with F Britton & P Scofield where he talked about doing some more pick up shots for the Extended Edition.
I wonder what this would be ?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Very interesting Oscar.

Since some scenes of the Pellenor Fields aftermath played out differently between the trailer and theatrical release - perhaps some bridging shots are required.

Hard to believe that pick up shots for an extended version would be done at this point. Kudos to all involved if they do it though. Course at this point money is no longer an issue.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I bought somewhat sparingly on LD and invested significantly in DVD due to the ample used & clearanced opportunities.

I'm with her on this one, I can't see buying these movies yet again even at 2x the resolution.

It's still the same movie & I'm in agreement that the DVD platform (in terms of A/V) is sufficient for storytelling and documentary supplementals.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I'm with her on this one, I can't see buying these movies yet again even at 2x the resolution.

It's still the same movie & I'm in agreement that the DVD platform (in terms of A/V) is sufficient for storytelling and documentary supplementals."

HD-DVD players are backwards-compatible, unlike LD, so you can re-buy the titles you choose to.

Why anyone wouldn't want to own High-Definition versions of Lawrence of Arabia, Amadeus, the Star Wars films, Fantasia, 2001, Spielberg's films, the Pixar films, or The Lord of the Rings films is beyond me. To each their own.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
While I would not presume to speak for Frank and I am not trying to pick a fight....

I do not have the seemingly endless amount of disposable income that some apparently have to buy every thing that comes out.

Would I like to own it? YOU BET!

But does it make financial sense to continue re-purchasing the same title over and over again? In my case it does not.

To each their own, and Frank (and his wife) should not be slammed because they cannot justify the same purchases that you can.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The question wasn't about means. I think the question was why husbands, presumably adults with cognitive thinking and reasoning skills of their own, can't seem to make independent decisions about what they will and won't purchase. It's always deferred to the discretion of "the wife"?

Unless "the wife" is the sole provider for the household, husbands presumably earn their own money and should be able to decide when, on what, and how much they want to spend without having to justify everything to "the wife."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can understand having to have "couple" conversations about big-ticket purchases like a new HDTV or digital projector (especially where room alterations or redecorating may be involved!). But If an HD-DVD of LOTR comes out I think I can manage to spend $20 to upgrade and sell my old copy on ebay or pass on to a friend/family member without having to involve the decision making skills of my significant other. :D

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
A marriage is a partnership. Two people making buying decisions for the benefit of the family unit.

I would never on this Earth dream of slamming any family unit for not purchasing the latest high-tech toy...but the day is coming when HD-TV will be the norm, and HD-DVD (with backwards compatibility to older DVDs) will eventually be available. And knowing that, in the years to come, what avid home theater buff or avid movie fan or even CASUAL movie fan is going to pass on the ability of owning a High-Definition version of the great film classics? I wager that even the aforementioned wife - when the old TV goes on the fritz and a new HD TV is bought - is going to refuse HD and sit on the sidelines and not choose to start purchasing HD versions of the great films, or HD versions of the great fims to come. It's the LD versus DVD battle all over again, and unless the price points are as prohibitive as the old LD models, we're going to see NTSC DVD go the way of the cassette players. Once you own an HDTV, why in the world would you want to purchase a DVD title NOT in the HD format?

Disney is one of the most rapacious companies around when it comes to finding ways to re-sell their titles, and they are already preparing for the coming HD convergence. They have accelereated their Platinum Edition release schedule for the sole reason of getting the titles out now before HD hits, for the *sole reason* of being able to re-release the same titles on HD later. They have seen the future, and they're drooling over it...every title in their library, re-sold on a new format. Meanwhile, they're dumping everything they've got onto the "regular" DVD format.

We all might as well accept it now. What we buy today WILL be replaced by a superior version later, at least in terms of resolution. Even the wife who balks now will be drooling over new HD releases, once an HD TV makes it's way into the home. It is only a matter of time. NTSC DVD is a transitional format. HD is the format for the future.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

Do we REALLY want the thread heading in THIS direction?

There's nothing more defensive than a man whos' been accused of having his balls in his wife's purse, or made to feel denigrated because he has the courtesy to ask his wife's opinion on a decision he's making that might affect both of them sometime down the line.

To keep it more on topic though--I do believe the price point for the first year or two WILL be prohibitive, if only because the studios can easily make more money still pimping the huge installed base of regular DVD players. The backward compatibility WILL help hasten that, though, but DVD exploded too huge for HD DVD to just sweep through like DVD did. Studios and retailers will want to hang back a little before dropping the prices to where a question of "Do we buy this new stuff" even comes up, really.

Brenton

Screenwriter
For some people, compulsive spending is an addiction that they can't control. And this addiction can be destructive in the case of those who are in a financial hell. Some people need another person to keep tabs on their spending before the whole family ends up on the streets.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Please, let's change the subject...

Most of us have a significant investment in the SD-DVD format.

Whether someone wants to or can afford to upgrade their collection HD-DVD is strictly a personal/family decision.

This action should not be considered mandatory or the obligation of every movie-fan.

I've seen SD-DVDs on HD sets and they look great.

I look forward to upgrading my very modest A/V rig in the future and extending the life of my movie collection.

I wish New Line well with it's eventual HD-DVD releases, but I won't be buying them.

After VHS, LD, & DVD, I have to know when to say when.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks