What's new

Peter Jackson & Crew talk ROTK Extended Edition DVD and much more (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I think Ernest, if I remember right, the Watchers are all that collapses after Sam and Frodo cross them the second time, but the tower remains intact. However, I could easily be wrong there, as I don't have my copy of the book available to check.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
I think you're right Chris. I believe the watchers and the gate itself collapse, but not the tower.

On another note, I agree with what was said on the previous page regarding Sam using the ring. I think the movies have played up the idea of Sauron (and the Nazgul) being immediately aware when the ring is being used. Frodo even says so when he and Sam are held captive. "If I put it on, he'll find me, he'll see" or something to that effect. As much as I would have liked to see Sam put it on, I don't think it would work with how the movies have set everything up.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'll betcha anything the EE will have the Gondorian statues that Frodo/Sam/Gollum run across, since I think that takes place at the beginning of the movie, and the EEs of the first two films each had a different opening scene, after the intital flashback. I think it follows the first Gollum/Frodo/Sam scene, if it doesn't come before it. (That's where it's placed in the "ROTK Photo Guide," the kiddie novelization of the film.)

Jackson said in the TTT:EE commentary that he likes to open the EEs with a different scene, to announce right off the bat that they're different versions of the film.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I read the high definition comment to mean some sort of superbit type release, spread over more disks, not an actual HD release on the next format, whenever that actually arrives, though I assume that will happen to. Any thoughts on a superbit release within the next year or two? That could be done without much time by the director.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well I don't think you can improve the transfers that much more on DVD. They're not perfect, but they're damn freaking good! A small upgrade to a 720x480 transfer isn't worth it. Bring on 1080p.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Yes, I REALLY doubt that PJ was angling for a Superbit type release.

They already have the DTS tracks, and the PQ was good enough for most people. I just can't see them re-releasing the EEs spread over 3 or 4 DVDs for the film.

I really think he meant HDVD, which should be along 'officially' in the next few years.

Besides that, like someone else has already said, there is nothing stopping PJ & New Line from releasing HD versions of the LOTR trilogy on DVD, TODAY, in Windows Media format, as was done with Terminator 2.

:)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I didn't at all. I think he meant real HD-DVD. It's only a couple years away.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
If I had to speculate, it's because a final release date isn't available yet. Guesstimates for the date were hovering around September for a long time, then went to November after PJ's comments, but there have even been a few where New Line was worried it wouldn't make even November and would slip into 2005. I think as soon as a firm release date is established we'll get an announcement. My best guess is we'll see the announcement right around the release date of the TE.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Who said he was joking? There have been some indications it might not come out until 2005 - this isn't a gag. I think they'll put it out at the normal mid-November time - it's too much of a Christmas cash cow to delay it - but who knows?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Why would they wait until 2005? That makes no sense unless they know something I don't.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be no real logical reason for delaying the EE of this. If they can turn around the theatrical version faster, that means they have more time than normal to churn out the extended edition. Also, if they can get out the EE of the previous 2 in a short time frame all the while working on the next movie, why couldnt they turn out the final EE in a longer time frame all the while not working on hte next movie in the set?(and king kong doesnt count)

Kami

Screenwriter

Well King Kong does count cause Weta Digital has been doing work on King Kong for a while now. :) They're also doing some of the digital work for I, Robot.

350 new shots isn't a lot compared to what they did for ROTK in less than a year, but when they have other projects on the go they probably have a small number of people concentrating on LOTR.

I think it'll still be out in time for chistmas though :)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I remember hearing something about Weta wanting a ton of money to finish the effects and New Line was considering using another company. I don't know if there's any truth to this but if there is that could be the reason for the delay. Aren't they also doing some reshoots too? They may have to wait for the actors schudles (spelling, I know) to clear. As long as the special effects are done propelly and and finished (unlike those in TTT) I'll wait as long as it takes.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I too think Peter Jackson meant true Hi-Def DVD, in whatever form it takes in a few years. Can't wait.

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks