What's new

Peter Jackson & Crew talk ROTK Extended Edition DVD and much more (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here are some of the quotes from PJ from TheOneRing.net party

http://www.iansmith.co.uk/lotr/weblogs/Feb29th2004.htm

Oscar Winner, Peter Jackson (to the fans):

I'm sure most of you have heard me blabbing off in the past few weeks but we've just finished the extended cut of the DVD. I finished the edit before I came over here - these poor bastards at Weta have got another 350 effects shots to do! They're well on the way. Elijah's seen the extended cut. New Line have announced some box set that's supposed to be coming out which I didn't know anything about. When I've done 'King Kong' I'd like to do a proper box set and we've got a whole bunch of material - not of the movie but we've got a whole lot of bloopers out there! When King Kong's out the way I'd like to do a really high definition version with the best possbile picture quality.

Oscar Winner, Alex Funke (to the fans):

We've got just one little pick up shot left to do [for the extended DVD] and then we're done!

Oscar Winner, Barrie Osborne (to the fans):

In the beginning I remember we tried to keep some distance from TheOneRing.net and then one day we were shooting at Hobbiton and Peter said to me 'You know, why don't we invite Erica Challis in?!' - and that started the greatest relationship as you all know. You supported us since way before then and that spirit of co-operation, the respect that you showed our film in controlling the information that was released and supporting us was great. So thank you very much for that!

Oscar Winner, Peter Jackson (to the fans):

There's a complicated story... you'll have to listen to this. It's just something that we are going to put on the DVD in November for the extended Return of the King. There's this really funny thing that involved these two guys [points at:] Elijah and Dom. We were in Berlin doing our junket before the premiere of the film. All of us were over there doing press every day where they sit you down in front of cameras and you do all this press, except Elijah couldn't be in Berlin - he was in New York. I think he was doing the 'Saturday Night Live' thing but what Elijah agreed to do very kindly was to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning in New York and sit in front of a camera so that the journalists in Berlin could interview him live since he couldn't be there. So Elijah's in a situation where he's in a room at 4 o'clock in the morning and he has no pictures to look at - there's just a camera pointing at him and he has an earphone on. He's live and he can hear the interviewer in Berlin asking questions. They feed several German interviewers and Elijah sits there blankly looking at the camera and answering the questions that are coming through his earpiece. After that had happened three or four times Dominic, who was in Berlin, thought this was an opportunity for a great practical joke! So Dominic comes into the room in Berlin, puts on a German accent and he pretends to be a German interviewer. Elijah has got no idea whatsoever because Dom put on a great accent 'Ah, hello zere Mr Wood I am pleased to meet you'. And then Dom proceeds to ask Elijah the most outrageously rude questions and Elijah's got no idea. He's sat there being filmed and there's this absolute moron asking questions on the other side and he was videoed too. We've got this thing and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life: seeing Elijah trying to hold it together when he's being bombarded with these horrible questions. It was so funny that we're going to stick it on the DVD.

Wow I cannot wait for the ext ed to come out now which should be a real blast

Keep the good work up folk and congrats

:emoji_thumbsup:

KamyarB

Agent
I'm looking forward to the extended cut as well, can't wait!

Thanks for your post!

Kamyar

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Am I missing something or do some of those comments go against the "don't worry, there won't be a super-duper edition coming out later" stuff we've been hearing?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau

This comment, coupled with the later comment about High Def leads me to believe that the fancier box won't be coming until the next medium of DVD. That's cool. I can wait.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
I know the digitalbits.com is interpreting this to mean an HD version coming out, but to me

that doesn't exactly sound like he really means High Definition (1080p).

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
By the time they are done with King Kong, HD-DVD should be picking up, so why not?

Sounds more like a high picture/sound quality version, possibly in HD-DVD, than a super duper hyper extended special edition 24 disc set. With current trechnology, the only way to make the picture quality better would be to use more discs, but that still would not approach 1080i or even 720p.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that sounds more like, "Oh, and we won't use all the filtering that destroyed the fine detail the first time round." :angry:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So that's a negative on the mega box-set? I guess I could safely pick up the EE of the remaining 2 films than..?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

When is Kong supposed to come out? In a couple years? You aren't going to be seeing an HD-DVD version of Rings by then.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

He doesn't even have to wait for HD-DVD to officially come out. He can get a jump-start by encoding the movies in WMV-HD at either 1280x720, 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 resolutions. Check out the "Coral Reef Adventures" IMAX DVD at Amazon for more info.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm down for the TE as soon as released, then the EE at Christmas '04.

But I think they should hold off on the 'megabox' till Christmas '05, if it's DVD-based.

Don't really care if they throw more LotR stuff in it, what I've got (and soon to get) is more than enough for me.

As for an eventually HD release...that's really far off.

But I imagine the studio would want to sell the movies separately on HD.

You didn't see bundles on DVD till it was really mass-market.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Frank-

Don't most of us consider this one film in three parts?
If so, I can imagine by the time the HD-DVD version hits,
it may very well be only available as a complete set.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks