What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pearl Jam's new album... (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I know back in early-September PJ filmed at "Chop Suey", a bar in Seattle. They shot "videos" for "I Am Mine" and another song, I forget which ones. BUT the videos arent for MTV - they're promo videos for Europe only becuase PJ wont be touring Europe for Riot Act (Australia / NZ / Japan instead).
Heres the official word from synergy -

The "V" word...
Pearl Jam, with Boom on keyboards, recently had some fun shooting footage at the Chop Suey Club in Seattle. It's not definite what will come of the footage but it's not a video in the traditional sense. The band has always filmed all concerts and rehearsals. No stranger to the band, esteemed photographer Danny Clinch was there to shoot the photo session for the new album.
Considering theres no one in the tenclub message pit making a fuss about seeing a video I'm thinking that maybe Rich confused the I Am Mine artwork for a video????...
JQ

728x90

George See

Second Unit
What's the holy grail of unreleased nirvana songs? I must hear the holy grail of unreleased nirvana songs :)
Can't wait for november I'm also trying to hold out on downloading...I haven't even heard the single yet.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
The holy grail is "You Know You're Right", which was recorded just three months before Cobain's death in '94. It "leaked" to the net about a week ago, and you can find it for download all over. There was a thread in the music section the other day here at HTF. Check it out.
Pretty good track, BTW.
I haven't heard the PJ single on the radio, either. Of course, all you seem to hear in Lexington KY these days is a contrived 'mix tape' of mid-70's rock radio standards. (Sigh:frowning:) But I digress...
I don't think that downloading "I Am Mine" counts as cheating (does it???:b)
Oh, (maybe real, maybe not) but, Riot Act cover art is up on Amazon.com (which might explain the Tool/video questions earlier)...for those trying to remain spoiler-free, here's the link:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Kinda reminds me more of Kurt Cobain's artwork...

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Spolier Ahead:

He's not a leader, he's a Texas Leaguer"

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple"

-two great lines from the Riot Act song, Bushleaguer

God, I cant wait till the tour. I went to 10 shows last year, making it one of the most exciting experiences of my life. Thank you PJ!

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Thanks for posting that link to the cover art, Jarrod! I love it. It's very different from the cover art PJ usually uses. You are right...it does remind me a little of Cobain's style of art.
Anyway, I've been listening to Riot Act a lot. It's a great album and it keeps getting better with every spin! I don't think it has much mainstream appeal, so don't expect a return to huge sales for the band, but Pearl Jam fans will not be disappointed!! :)

George See

Second Unit
Thanks for the info on the Nirvana tune. So maybee i'll give myself a treat tonight after work and DL The Nirvana track and the PJ single I guess the single isn't really cheating.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Not really PJ news but since we were talking a bit about Nirvana (and Nirvana and PJ are so closely related) I thought you'd all like to know you can see the new Nirvana Best Of cover here.
And, for whatever reason, the new Nirvana is supposed to hit the streets the same day as the new PJ, Nov 12! A good day for fans of grunge.
JQ

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
OK. I've had the new PJ in my car for 3 days on repeat. I just don't get those guys anymore. What would be so wrong with making an album of accessible songs with melody and song structure? We've had this album twice before. OK, I can understand Eddie better on this one, and there is a bit more inventive guitar than the last two times out but there is only one really good song and it's "I am mine."

I am really dissapointed. I have hung on so long waiting for a PJ album I could wrap my mind around musically. I have bought every album. I have eagerly anticipated every release. I am done.

What kind of place do you have to be in your life to be able to appreciate the stuff PJ is putting out now? Bruce Springsteen put out his first great album since Tunnel of Love this year. Bowie put one out that even though I don't like it I see where the good reviews come from. The few songs I heard from the aborted Chris Cornell RATM were exciting. WHERE ARE THE HEADS OF Vedder, Gossard and company?

Am I wrong that this album is completely underproduced? Do they make so much money for the record company with catalog sales of "Ten" that they have complete autonomy in the studio to mix together a bunch of first takes without taking into account lyrical theme or melody or song structure. Song structure seems to be too much to ask.

I will include "I am mine" on a mix CD for the fall but no sale Pearl Jam.

I think I have given enough reasons and examples that this wasn't just a mindless rant. What do you think?

Ivan

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I think you probably should give up trying. They aren't going to be returning to Ten/Vs/Vitalogy any time soon, and if you don't like the new stuff, then there's not much sense to keep trying.

Personally, I don't understand where you're really coming from. They've been recording in a similar style since VS (in that they record as a band, and take the best take, flaws and all). But some of the songs on here have so many layers, I'm not sure why you think it's a bunch of first takes, because that would have been impossible.

I Am Mine is fine, But I'd say that Can't Keep, You Are, Get Right, Green Disease, Crop Duster, Save You, All or None, Help Help, and Bush Leaguer are all better songs.

Yes, I think that we look for different things, but even the people that don't like the album terribly seem to agree that You Are is one of the best tracks they've done in a long time.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Well said, Graeme.

I think I have given enough reasons and examples that this wasn't just a mindless rant. What do you think?
Ivan, I appreciate your opinion. Tastes differ, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do respect the fact that you didn't come on here and badmouth the band and call us all idiots for liking the newer stuff. Personally, I've become a bigger fan of the band over the last 3 or 4 records than I was when "Ten" was out. Personal preference.

I somewhat disagree w/ you about the comments you made about the new Audioslave, (though the new Springsteen is quite good, save for a song or two), but that's best left for another forum...

But just to say, of all the people I've talked with who've downloaded the entire new album, your review was the first negative one I've read...

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
My main reason for posting was that I really want to like the new album. I really liked Binaural. It took about 3 or 4 listens but I had it locked in my CD player for weeks. My second favorite PJ album is Vitalogy. I know Graeme may take me to task for this, but yeah Ten is my favorite PJ album and Top 5 Rock of the Modern Era.
I do not have the commercial release of the album, and sometimes that makes a huge difference. I had a downloaded copy of RUSH's latest and it sounded like crap but the commercial version sounds good musically (the pressing is another story but I digress.)
I like to have a frame of reference when listening to new music by established bands. In particular bands that I consider genius, like PJ. I don't expect that frame of reference to be as easy to assimilate as (to use him again) Springsteen's "The Rising" but it helps me to enjoy the music to have one. Where is PJ right now? I propose they are here:
They enjoy being a live band. They are trying to capture that sound as closely as possible on record for the last few albums. They are known as a great live band by fans and media alike. But I don't generally look for a live sound in my studio albums. Nor do I like a recorded live performance to sound too much like the studio version. "Sting Live at the Universal Ampitheater" on DVD is an example of the latter. So that is one of my problems with "Riot Act." It sounds, as I said before, underproduced. I would jokingly say the Brendan O' Brien just twirled the knobs when the band told him to, no more, no less.
Now here comes the blasphemous part. Am I to be hated because on some level I wouldn't mind a bit if they wrote an album of emotional, anthemic, radio compatible songs. I'd enjoy it, actually. I think bands get so caught up in trying new things and pushing themselves artistically they forget that some (many? most? you argue it out.) fans just want songs that have a beginning, middle, end, melody and emotional resonance. And can be possibly played on that evil of evils: radio. Pearl Jam are good enough musicians and creative enough that it would never sound "like Ten" or "like Vs."
I don't have a problem being a critical fan. I do have a problem with self-indulgent bands. I think popular music should pander a bit to the masses. It should also be challenging on some level to the listener.
Aw, hell, I always like PJ better after I read the lyrics. Who's got 'em for "Riot Act?" :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
They enjoy being a live band. They are trying to capture that sound as closely as possible on record for the last few albums
I cant see where your coming from on this one with regard to Binaural. I think Binaural is the most studio-ish album they've made. Listen to any studio Binaural track and then the same track live. They're light years apart (sorry for the stupid pun - I couldnt resist).
On a not-really-related-note, I will say that the reason I like PJ (and bands like Counting Crows) is becuase they're always different. I played I am mine and Love Boat Captain for my roommate and his only comment was "Why cant they make another album like Ten?". As I jumped on the PJ fanwagon at Vitology I'm not as fond of Ten as some, but nothing burns me up more than comments like that (He says the same thing about Counting Crows and August and Everything after as well as Stone Temple Pilots and Purple :angry: ) Sorry, had to vent.
JQ

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
LOL....you can find the lyrics here:)
http://www.theskyiscrape.com/
I like lots of different bands, and various types of music, but I always seem to come back to Pearl Jam as my favorite. I have friends that jokingly tell me that Pearl Jam could do a full-length album of "toilet sounds" and I would buy and enjoy.
While I don't know if that is true or not, I've tried my best to take in what the band produces and form an honest opinion. I don't like every Pearl Jam song, and certain albums hold favor for me over others, but I appreciate the fact that they seem to be honest with themselves as far as making records.
A band with the sound, talent, and personality of Pearl Jam could be the biggest seller in the world. They could do multi-million dollar, corporate sponsored tours, and do videos for ten songs per album, but I appreciate the fact that they seem satisfied with the fan base that they have, the music that they produce, and the revenue they bring in. I think after "No Code" tanked financially (I believe it sold one or two million as opposed to Vitalogy's 5 or 6)they could have done a complete turn around, recorded a sequel to Jeremy, and pulled off some kind of Zoo TV type tour, and they'd have gone right back up to multi-million album sales, but I think that the soul of the band would have been crippled.
Now, is that to say that I wouldn't have enjoyed a more "user friendly" Pearl Jam record? Probably not. But I think had they not continued to put out new and refreshing music, I don't think that I would have stuck by them so long. The great musical artists over the last 60 years have not sat idly by and milked the one style that made them famous. Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young, The Beatles, The Who...the list goes on and on. I think that Pearl Jam might not be in the same league with these great artists in 2002, but continue to add water, continue to give them sunlight, and watch them grow ;)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
fans just want songs that have a beginning, middle, end, melody and emotional resonance
This is what Binaural was lacking, and you liked it. Riot Act is chock full of these songs, except that the emotion may be lacking a bit (Eddie just isn't as angry as he used to be). Most comments that I've read have been upset that they're playing it safe and sticking with the usual Verse Corus Verse on too many songs.

I think we're just hearing different things. To me this is an extremly well produced album, Binaural was horrid (whether it was under or over produced is debatable). Perhaps the problem is that I don't understand what you mean by it being underproduced.

This album is very much like Yield IMO and seeing as that wasn't one of your favorites, maybe I can understand why you're not too high on it.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
What kind of place do you have to be in your life to be able to appreciate the stuff PJ is putting out now?
I don't know, but I'm there. Sure, I loved Ten and Vs. Sang with it until I lost my voice forever-more, asamatteroffact. But No Code and Binural really speak to me, and expanded on what I loved about those early albums in the first place. I can't wait for the new one.

NP: Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Very nice. I'm glad they have the actual live performance, instead of just laying the studio track over live footage.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I loved PJ's first 2 albums, but only bits and peices of the follow ups. "Given To Fly" and the like. I thought Vitology was 1/2 amazing and 1/2 F-U to fame.

I do wonder about the lyrics to bushleaguer. How does this album compare to PJs past work?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
If you like the live bootlegs they released I dont see how you cant like this album... I have to say I LOVE this album.
I started with grabbing a couple songs and... before I knew it I had the whole thing, I just couldnt wait. My only complaint is that a lot of songs seem to be too short, but thats a minor gripe, cant wait to hear the live versions.
Less than a month and we will finally have the real thing
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks