What's new

Pearl Jam's new album... (1 Viewer)

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Let me clarify on the "What a stroke of genius" comment.

I meant the releasing of live shows on CD was a stroke of genius.

As one who owns lots of crappy import bootlegs (from various bands) I think that policy is brilliant.

Also I love the Touring Band DVD. As someone (like a lot of aging PJ fans) who has kids and a career now and can not get out to a concert, this is a godsend. NOTE: I just called myself aging and I am 32!

Also, Brian your opinion of the album has been duly noted and I am entitled to mine without your snippy comments.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
From www.theskyiscrape.com, a pretty reliable site for PJ news:
The next single from Riot Act, Save You, will make its way onto the radio on December 10th (possibly a radio-only single). The song is an edited version, muting out any expletives (no 'kcuf you' like Letterman this time ).
The single includes a note stating, "The first video featuring the band members since Jeremy". Be warned that record labels are not always on top of things so there may not in fact be a video, but if there is, there's a good chance it would be similar to the I Am Mine video filmed at Chop Suey. The note also says that the U.S. tour will start in spring of 2003 and Riot Act sold over 200,000 albums in its first two weeks.
:D

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
the U.S. tour will start in spring of 2003
So their 2 shows in Seattle on sunday and monday are not part of the tour? I know they are benefit shows, but I'm not sure what the charity is. I believe Jeff Ahment's side project Brad is the opening act. Should be a busy couple of nights for him. I wonder if this means they will be back again for another show early next year? That would be great!
~Matt
p.s. Exactly one week from right now I will be in the middle of a 3 1/2 hour drive home from Seattle the day after sitting through a night with one of the best live bands ever. Hootyhoo!:D

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I think the Seattle shows are a warm up / Riot Act Tour Kick Off deal. Because PJ will be going to Australia / NZ / Japan in the Winter of 2003 before the US Spring Tour starts.
Exactly one week from right now I will be in the middle of a 3 1/2 hour drive home from Seattle the day after sitting through a night with one of the best live bands ever
And then you have to fulfill your obligation to the HTF by getting in this thread and giving us a review of the show including the setlist and as many details as possible!!:D ;)
JQ

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Ooh, and on top of it all I just found out that the other opening act for monday's show is Mudhoney! Wooo....Hooo! How cool is that??:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Ooh, and on top of it all I just found out that the other opening act for monday's show is Mudhoney! Wooo....Hooo! How cool is that??
I never understood Mudhoney's appeal. I saw them open for Pearl Jam back in 1994 (on the day Cobain's body was discovered, in fact) and, quite frankly, they sucked. I know they are highly respected by all of the musicians from the original Seattle scene, though, so I guess they have something. I just don't know what that something is. :D
Oh, and it would be interesting to see Pearl Jam actually release a new music video in which they appear for the U.S. market. I think it's a good idea! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator

I saw Mudhoney open for PJ in '98, & they were pretty cool.

I'd like to be there for the Steve Earle opening night. He's really great. A singer/songwriter who has in the past has recorded w/ another great Seattle-based band "The Supersuckers" (who, btw, have recorded a few songs w/ Ed in the past----"Devil Doll" on the X album, and "Poor Girl" on the WM3 album).

Congrats on getting to go....be sure to give us set list, report, etc, etc, etc....

Boy, am I envious!!!!

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just returned home a bit ago after seeing PJ live last night. All I can say is WOW! This is the fifth time I've seen them live and they never cease to amaze me. The funny thing is that I've sort of lost touch with their music over the last few albums. Every time I hear they are coming to town, I think maybe I shouldn't go as I don't follow their music like I once did and think maybe I wouldn't enjoy their show as much because of it. I always end up going, though, and I NEVER regret it. Each and every time I walk out of the arena reminded that this is the best live band I've ever seen. Last night was no exception.

The show had it's good points and it's bad points, though. For starters my seat was waaaay up in the nosebleed section, maybe 20 rows down from the roof in Key Arena. The sound wasn't great thanks to some ugly echoing going on up there, though I could tell that down below the sound must have been pretty good. Eddie was kind of drunk and he screwed up a few times in the beginning. Everybody just cheered when he screwed up and he commented (jokingly) that everybody seems to be okay with his fuckups so hey may as well keep at it, then he took another swig from his wine bottle. It was nothing but top notch Eddie after that, though.

Mudhoney played pretty well, but it was tough to listen to them as the sound wasn't very good. Plus there was no general admission, so it was kind of bizarre watching them play to a crowd mostly sitting down and no mosh pit to be found.

PJ played for quite a while. I think they took the stage at around 9:30 and walked off the final time (they did 2 encore sets) at around midnight. I couldn't begin to list all the songs they played, but here is a partial list that I do recall. I'm not familiar with their No Code/Yield/Binaural albums, but I'm guessing some of the songs I did not recognize were from these albums. I'm sure I'm leaving plenty off that I did recognize as well.

In no particular order:

Release
Rearview Mirror
Black
Porch
Do the Evolution
Not for You
Evenflow
Yellow Ledbetter
Bush Leaguer (Eddie Ran out on stage with a GW Bush mask on, then took it off, pretended to pour wine down GW's throat, and made like GW was giving him oral sex before starting in with the lyrics)
Save You
Love Boat Captain
I am Mine
You Are
Help Help
Elderly Woman....
Daughter

As I said, there are quite a few others that I have forgotten or didn't recognize.

I was a little bummed that they didn't do more songs from Vitalogy. Last time I saw them, they did Spin the Black Circle, which is one of my favorite songs and I was hoping to hear it again. One thing I did notice is that some of the new songs that I wasn't too interested in from the CD sounded great live. I read in this thread that they were trying to capture a bit of the energy from their live performances on Riot Act. Well, in my opinion their recorded music is nowhere near as good as their live shows.

I most certainly wouldn't consider myself a hardcore PJ fan, I'm a casual fan at best. I just couldn't get into them much after Vitalogy. Nevertheless, I will never pass up a chance to see this band live if I can help it. It's just such an unbelievable experience. All I can say is that if they come to play anywhere near you next year, GO SEE THEM!!

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Viva La Vinyl has the complete Showbox night 1 (12/5/02) show up in MP3 (very good quality, BTW). (I figured since Sony has allowed this link to stay up on the official PJ message board it was ok to post here).
It is also newsworthy that Boom, who has played keyboards on Riot Act and every show after its recording, is apparently going to be playing on the world tour. Which is good news, cause he adds a whole new level to the live shows. As you'll be able to hear in the above show (especially in "Black" - which, with Boom, is AMAZING).
Other standout tracks are Down (I cant understand why this was cut from the album, but whatever - find the studio version by any means if you havent heard it already), You Are (the live translation is very cool), Last Kiss (the level of audiece singing on this one is something from a European show, something that doesnt always come thorugh on bigger American shows - very, very cool), Green Disease, Love Boat Captain. Just get the whole thing...
Theres also a link to a surprisingly good download manager, Flashget, at the top of the page. Without using a download manager the downloads seem to end early so you dont get the whole song.
Enjoy,
JQ

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Ok I just picked this up today and have a question:

Is the audio stop on "You Are" at 0.20 -0.23 on all discs or just mine?

I briefly skimmed this search and didn't see this mentioned. Just as I started enjoying this song, it cut out, then continued. Very annoying. Otherwise, I am enjoying this disc!
Thanks

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
That stop is part of the song. I thought the same thing the first time I heard it. :)
As for the album I think it's pretty good overall. I still think Pearl Jam will likely never meet expectations that they created after Vitology. I still think thats their best album and always will be.
I could also do without the George Bush bashing on this album. It comes off as amateur and childish in the song "Bush League". This band is good but they bring themselves down a notch when they write stupid songs like that one.
Dan.b

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
PJ 2003 US Tour -
Leg 1
April
1 Denver, CO Pepsi Center
3 Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center
5 San Antonio, TX Verizon Wireless Amph.
6 Houston, TX Cynthia Wood Mitchell Pav.
8 New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena
9 Birmingham, AL Birmingham Jefferson Complex
11 W. Palm Bch. FL Coral Sky Amph.
13 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum
15 Raleigh, NC Alltel Pavilion Walnut Creek
16 Charlotte, NC Verizon Wireless Amph.
18 Nashville, TN Am South Amph.
19 Atlanta, GA Hi Fi Buys Amph.
21 Lexington, KY Rupp Arena
22 St. Louis, MO Savvis Center
23 Champaign, IL Assembly Ctr.
25 Cleveland, OH Gund Arena
26 Pittsburgh, PA Mellon Arena
28 Philadelphia, PA First Union Spectrum Arena
29 Albany, NY Pepsi Center
30 Uniondale, NY Nassau Colliseum
May
2 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena
3 State College, PA Bryce Jordan Ctr.
Leg 2
28 Missoula, MT Adams Fieldhouse
30 Vancouver, BC GM Place
June
1 San Francisco, CA Shoreline Amph.
2 Los Angeles, CA Verizon Wireless Amph.
5 San Diego, CA San Diego Sports Arena
6 Las Vegas, NV Mandalay Bay Events Ctr.
7 Phoenix, AZ Cricket Pavilion
9 Dallas, TX Smirnoff Music Ctr.
10 Little Rock, AR Alltel Arena
12 Kansas City, MO Verizon Wireless, Amph.
13 Council Bluff, IA Mid-America Ctr.
15 Fargo, ND Fargo Dome
16 St. Paul, MN Xcell Arena
18 Chicago, IL United Center
19 Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Ctr.
21 East Troy, WI Alpine Valley Music Ctr.
22 Nobelsville, IN Verizon Wireless Music Ctr.
24 Columbus, OH Polaris Amph.
25 Detroit, MI Detroit Energy Ctr.
28 Toronto, ONT. Molson Amph.
29 Montreal, QUE. Bell Center
July
1 Washington, DC Nissan Pav./Stone Ridge
2 Boston, MA Tweeter Ctr.
5 Philadelphia, PA Tweeter Ctr.
8 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
9 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
Also noteworthy to mention that PJ tenclub members can order 2 tickets per show, as opposed to previous years where you could only order for a set number of shows.
See ya April 28th and July 5th in Philly!
JQ

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I was keeping my fingers crossed for a Vancouver date, too bad it had to be at GM Place, no friggin open floor :thumbsdown:

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I'm not sure PJ does open floor any more. Last month in Key Arena they had the entire floor space filled with chairs. No mosh pit at all. I think after they had those deaths at their show they put a stop to any of that. That's just an assumption on my part, though.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,
Just thought everyone would like to know the deal with the 2003 PJ Tour Bootlegs...
You can preorder any show (just Australia / Japan shows right now, which go through March). Anyway, you preorder a show (or order a day or two after the show, so you can see the setlist) and a day after the concert Tenclub.net sends you a URL where you can download the unmastered MP3's of the concert you ordered. Then, the bootleg you ordered arrives on your doorstep within 7 - 10 days.

The artwork looks prettygood too - part of each countries flag makes up the CD cover.
Checkout pearljambootlegs.com for all the info.

JQ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks