What's new

Panasonic he70 vs. Yamaha 5540? (1 Viewer)

Dan Pham

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm upgrading from a Yamaha R-v703 Pro-Logic receiver I bought about 4 yrs. ago. Since I don't want to spend too much on receiver $200 and less(considering that technology changes so quickly and I don't want to spend a lot to upgrade everytime), I want to know what you all thought was better. I just bought an open box Panasonic SA-HE70 but found that the build quality is sort of flimsy and is bugging me. I've looked at the Yamaha HTR-5540 and it feels pretty sturdy. I'm thinking about returning the Pannie for the Yammie. From what I gather though, is the Yammie doesn't have all the features that the Pannie does. I'm running a JBL N-Center, Canton Karat 100 Mains, and Yamaha NSA324 surrounds. I'm planning to get a Sony SAWM-40 sub. My tv is an old sony 20 inch(planning to upgrade next) and I run directv(w/dolby digital) and a 3 yr. old Pannie DVD(w/only dolby digital output.) Does the Yamaha have s-video? Do I really need S-video? I want to get a cheap 27 inch t.v.-maybe JVC, Toshiba, or Samsung. All I want is a half way decent sounding Home Theater System. Yes, you all are right, there is a big difference from Pro-Logic. Any help will be appreciated.

TIA,
Danny

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using the Yamaha 5540 and I love it. I upgraded from a Technics receiver (made by panasonic) and the sound is so much better with the Yamaha. One thing for sure is that you won't have any realiability issues with the Yamaha. They have a great reputation for their build quality.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm looking at the Yamaha 5540 right now, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick review, what they think. It's got a max output of 75 watts per channel, DPL II... but how is its punch, pretty strong?

I'm actually comparing it to a (much cheaper) Panny he70. Let me know your thoughts, please!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
My parents are looking for a low cost 5.1 reciever. Is the Yamaha 5540 a good choice? It is availible at Future Shop for $379(Canadian). They would be using it more for stereo than surround.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I've been looking at the next level up, Justin, at the 5550, and both have been getting really good reviews. I can get the 5550 for 229 plus shipping online, which isn't all that bad a price, the 5540 for 199 plus shipping... in all, good deals for what looks to be a good receiver. I'm probably going to drop the cash after my next paycheck comes.

MikeWG

Auditioning
I sell both the Yamaha 5540 and the panasonic sahe70 where I work and can vouge that the Yammie is a better buy. Cleaner power and the yammie also runs alot cooler. Don't worry too much about the watts as it really isnt all that important, remember that for 3 more decibals of sound you must double the wattage.

MikeWG

Auditioning
I sell both the Yamaha 5540 and the panasonic sahe70 where I work and can vouge that the Yammie is a better buy. Cleaner power and the yammie also runs alot cooler. Don't worry too much about the watts as it really isnt all that important, remember that for 3 more decibals of sound you must double the wattage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks