What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
OK Thanks,

where did you guys get yours from?

I'm having trouble finding it...

if you know anyone who wants a harman kardon avr120 receiver for $225 please tell me I'll sell it to them (2 months old).

-ELmO

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
elmo,
the 600 is in short supply now.. most places will have more stock in the next few weeks. J and R told me they should arrive this week.. so I may get mine next week :) until, then... I can just look at the speakers and digital cables.. lol
jim

Greer_R

Agent
well I just tried 1027 (Hal) an 1026 (Henry)...no luck on either of them, got the first person I could and was told "we haven't gotten any in yet, it will be end of the month"...

I'm gettin royally pissed no one is giving a straight answer, gettin ready to cancel the order I think.

-Greer

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Greer, I just talked to hal about 45 minutes ago (2:45pm EST) its 3:30pm EDT now.. he said he thought it might be in tomorrow or next week. He was going to check with his buyer. I know this sucks doesnt it.. No one has it in stock right now.. not HHGregg, Circuit City, or any online place.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I bought the last SR600 at the Crutchfield outlet store in Charlottesville. I drove there from Richmond because it was the last SR600 that Crutchfield had in stock. They did have a demonstrator in the outlet store. Their website stated that they would be getting some more inventory in on 5/10/02. The guy in the outlet store did not think that was a firm date. They put it in there because they had to put something in there. Maybe they don't want customers to switch retailers or switch to brands that they don't carry.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered an SR600 from Circuit City for $430 (Burlington, VT). Thanks Christopher_H -- I told them it was online for $407 and someone else got one at another CC for $429. They said their current price was $449 but brought it down to $429. The sales guy said 1 to 2 weeks to get it; they had 7 units in their warehouse. In fact, he said 2 weeks "was a stretch" so hopefully I'll have it in < 2 weeks! I'm psyched.

I was wondering if anyone here had considered the Integra 5.3. It lists at $549 -- $50 more than the SR600. I didn't want to pay that much, and wasn't sure if the advantages were significant ("bigger" power supply, "better" internal wiring).

One last thing -- the CC guy tried to sell me an extended warranty, primarily to cover the remote. I almost never buy the warranty on anything. It's $40 for 2 or 3 yrs, and he claimed that remote controls often start to not work as well by that time, and that they aren't covered under the Onkyo warranty, and that Onkyo charges $80 for replacement. Of course the other advantage to the warranty is not having to ship the receiver to Onkyo in the event of problems after 30 days. Advice?

Thanks! Great forum here!

Jim: I haven't talked to them for a couple days (didn't you know it was your turn? :) ). Will probably call tomorrow to get another update. Not too much concern here, as I have finals next week and really don't need extra toys around. Granted, I wouldn't mind stuff arriving on Friday after exams end...but I don't see that happening at this point.
Daniel

Greer_R

Agent
Daniel,

I ended up getting a hold of Hal at extension 1027. He told me he has emailed his buyer an to check back in a couple days (this was thursday afternoon). Does anyone know when the SR700 is coming out. Thinking I might wait a bit since I have to wait already and get it since it has amp pre-outs.

-Greer

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I believe i read late may for the 700.. so if it follows the way of the 600, probably mid to late june. :)
jim

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It's $40 for 2 or 3 yrs, and he claimed that remote controls often start to not work as well by that time, and that they aren't covered under the Onkyo warranty, and that Onkyo charges $80 for replacement. Of course the other advantage to the warranty is not having to ship the receiver to Onkyo in the event of problems after 30 days. Advice?
Yeah, put the money towards a much better remote control (e.g. the Universal Remote 500, the new Sony VL-1000, etc.)

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Greer,

I just got a letter in the mail today from J and R with a "varification" number that I had to call and give them. Did you get something similar? The guy that I talked to stated the units should be in very soon.. He was with the credit department and that is what his screen showed.

strange..

jim

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
how's that strange, they gav eyou a number so you can get the onkyo receivers before anyone else (like me) who si trying to get it right now.

-ELmO

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
My son and I watched Atlantis tonight on the SR600 and it was exquisite. This movie will really highlight your system if you want to show it off.

I was originally concerned that 80 watts would not be enough. They are. I could have played it much more loudly if I had wanted. My speakers are only about 87 db/w meter efficient.

The bass in Atlantis can make you flinch (I have a really good sub). I love my 600 more every day.

I hate to make the wait harder for you guys who have it on order, but it will be worth waiting for. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find anything good at this price point. I was wrong.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Hey Greg,

If you read some of the earlier posts in this thread, you'd see that I am very much considering this receiver but am concerned about it's lack of an lfe pad. My current receiver (RCA) doesn't have an lfe pad adjustment either. It properly boosts the level for DD but not for DTS, so when I watch a dts dvd, I have to bump the subwoofer level way up. What I was wanting to know is if you, or anyone else who already this receiver, have noticed any lack of bass between dd and dts versions of the same movie? If you or anyone else who had the 600 could listen to a bass strong movie that has both DD and DTS, such as Titan AE, twister, etc, and see if you notice any lack of bass with dts or even do some measurments with a spl I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to get this receiver but want to be sure first that I won't have to constantly move the subwoofer level up and down. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

Norman L

Second Unit
Greg,

I agree it's worth waiting, I watched Mission Impossible II on the 600 while waiting for my son's plane to take off from Atlanta ( delays due to the storm in NJ).

The sound was great, I also received my new SVS 25-31CS.

I have nothing to complain about.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
it does'nt hold different speaker level volumes for DD and DTS?

My harman kardon avr120 does that ($350)...would think onkyo has an option somewhere.

-ELmO

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Greg and Elmo,

I couldn't find any settings for the LFE Pad (DD/DTS Levels) in the setup menu for the Onkyo 600. However I think it handles bass just fine. I have tried the DD and DTS tracks on Atlantis, Gladiator, and Toy Story 2 (don't have Titan AE or Twister, but these DVD's have pretty good bass) and couldn't detect a big difference. Overall, I prefered the DTS tracks for all the movies but it wasn't due to a lack of bass on the DD tracks.

Parin

greg_t

Screenwriter
I downloaded the manual from Onkyo and couldn't find anything about lfe pad either. Thanks for your input about bass levels. I just don't want to buy a receiver that has the same problem as my current one. I get tired of having to bump up the subwoofer level everytime I listen to a dts dvd. I'm sure the 600 applies the proper 10db boost to both dd and dts unlike my RCA, which only boosts dd. I just want to get some feedback from those lucky folks who already have it. Thanks for your input.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks