What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Norman L

Second Unit
Niel,

You must order by phone and speak to a salesperson, they work on commission. J & R allows the phone salespeople to reduce prices from the web site. I believe that price will be available and lower as time passes. If one salesperson does not give you the price try another.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just called jandr.. now the damn thing is on backorder.. after i was told it was in stock.. not a happy camper..

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
All of you that bought these 600's from J&R please post your thoughts when you receive them!!! I want to hear what you all think!!

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
if i ever get the damn thing :frowning: , i'll post a full write up... left a "polite" message with my sales rep, who will probably call me back after 3pm today.. sounds like those of us who ordered on wednesday or later are in for a wait.. Oh well.. I originally orded a 595 in december, so whats a few more weeks :)
Paul, I did demo it a few days ago at my local CC, i beleive they were polk 6600 or 6200 5.1 speakers.. and it sounded great!
more later!
jim

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

Not that I'm condoning any illegal activity, but have you considered purchasing a "loaner" version of the 600 from Circuit City - something that would hold you over until your 600 arrives from J&R?

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Called and it was shipped today ordered Wednesday. Should arrive on 4/16/02. I can't wait.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim Tressler said:

Well I just called jandr.. now the damn thing is on backorder.. after i was told it was in stock.. not a happy camper..
I've had this happen with J&R before too (not with the Onkyo receiver). Unfortunately, J&R's inventory control leaves something to be desired. If they have five units in stock when you place an order and eight units are ordered that day before they get around to grabbing a unit for you from the warehouse, it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot as to who gets merchandise. It seems that being among the first five to place an order doesn't guarantee you will get the item when stock is running low. That's my only complaint with J&R. On the plus side, they have a 30-day full money-back guarantee, which few of the discount mail-order dealers offer.

Greer_R

Agent
I ordered mine yesterday, called them about noon, was told that "my order had not gone through credit yet" so I'm guessing I'll have to wait 2 weeks to get mine, in my company that kind of poor inventory control and inability to email would be fixed right quick....

-Greer

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Crutchfield's backorder indicator lists the Onkyo TX SR600 as being backordered until 5/10/2002. I purchased the last one they had in their Charlottesville outlet store this evening. I wonder why the long backorder date?

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Greer, I called them back and got the same answer.. something about credit check.. seems kind of strange, either the credit card was accepted or not.. (which i know it would be accepted) .. i did not hear back from my sales person, so i figure he was off.. J and R inventorty definatly leaves a lot to be desired. :frowning:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just a guess, but I would think that when a product first comes out every retailer only can get a certain amount to start off with based on how many they had bought the year before? & if it's a HOT ITEM most of them will be out of the first shipments pretty quickly & be waiting on the second shipment & that will depend on how fast the company can get them to the retailer & how many the company has in the pipeline.

Greer_R

Agent
Jim

my guess is that it gets thrown into "credit" check until they have more in stock, I'm hoping that is not the case though! Does ANYONE have a good rep at J&R. I'm thinking that if one of us find a good one, we can all start using him, he'll make his profit an we'll have good service.

-Greer

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are right Greer. I did call the sales rep and he was very appologetic about the whole situation. He did say that the "credit checks" are normal for first time customers and that it can sometimes take 1 full day to verify the credit info with name and address thru the bank. (Never heard of that before.) I am supprised that they dont just run the card. Anyway, he said that I have priority and they expect shipment from Onkyo within 10 days. I just called him to see what the cancellation policy was.. I might have the local HH Greg guy down to $405. Ahh.. the saga continues...Maybe by my birthday (27th of this month, I will have it!) :)
Jim

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Well...

My local CC would only go down to $440 shipped (would have it next week) and my local HH Gregg would only go down to $420 + tax and they do not have them in yet.. So at this point I am still on the list for JandR .. hopefully they will get a batch in soon.

jim

I gave JandR a call this morning...looks like my order is backordered, too. :frowning: They also said that there should be an order coming in later this week, and our receivers should be on that truck. We can only hope. :)
Daniel

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I must have gotten really lucky. I ordered the first night this thread started an mine will be here tomorrow. I have ordered from them before so I am guessing I did not have to have the check done on myy credit. I know when I order my Rep said there was like 3 left last Wednesday night. Hopefully they will have them real soon. I went through a similiar thing with them when I was going to get the HK320, they never got it in so I waited and waited and then read ablut the Onkyo 600 and decided to wait.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel... Interesting about the end of the week.. I called them today and the rep that picked up the phone (not the one I ordered with) said at least 2 weeks... and the saga continues.. on another note (while we are waiting) :) .. I have been looking at a pronto remote or an mx-500.. any one have an opinion on either one?

Hey folks...just an FYI. My local Circuit City has the 600 on back order for $499, but they agreed to drop the price to $429 (their sale price on the 600) if I paid up front, which I did. With tax, I'm at $450. A couple dollars above online, but I like to support the local B&M when they are close to the online prices...since I play with all their stuff. :)

cheers,

Steve

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Good deal steve.. did they say when? Mine told me they could have one to me middle of this week.. I think I have hh gregg talked down to $420 plus a free 3' optical digital cable.. ahh the saga continues.. Hopefully dan is right and j and r will have them in this week...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks