What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Greer_R

Agent
nothing yet on a confirmation letter, but I ordered a day later than you did I believe. Then again, down here, the mail is slow. I'm still debating waiting on the 700 or not

-Greer

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
OK. Several questions:

(It has been my experinece with My Kenwood (VR-405)that I have to turn down the volume in DTS not turn it up)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
2. If I am going from my Kenwood (100watts/chan) to the 600 (80watts/chan) Will I even notice a difference?
It all depends on how it was measured in the first place. The Kenwoood was probably measured @ 1 KHz to get the 100 watts. Onkyo now appears to be measuring power using the full frequency range 20 Hz - 20,000 KHz. I doubt that you'll hear any difference in the power - remember, you have 80 watts going to a 6th channel if you decide to hook up another speaker with the Onkyo.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
That is true wayne that is some more watts that I would not be used to. Besides my HT is VERY loud for my small Apt anyway, but I plan on graduating and my wife and I will get whatever parsonage that the United Methodist Church will give us, heh. So I really have no idea what my next 4-5 living rooms will look like, ha ha.

Thanks!

Any help on the other questions I posed above? Thanks!

Just a note to you guys - I received my Onkyo 600 from jandr.com today, along with my NSP1 speakers. Still waiting on my SVS, and no speaker wire handy to test my receiver/speakers at the moment. :-(

Daniel

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Grady & others who are awaiting the arrival of the Onkyo 600s and 700s:

Has anyone considered the Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver? 6 channels of output at 75 W.P.C. Plus, the 5560 has pre-outs for all channels which will allow the use of an external amp in the future along with Pro Logic II and all that other good stuff. To me, it seems the HTR-5560 has been placed in between the Onkyo 600 and 700 (with the exception of the wattage) and is available in good supply today. Like most of you, I'm also anxiously awaiting the Onkyo 600s to arrive in greater quantities, but are we overlooking anything with the Yamaha HTR-5560?

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel, you must have gotten lucky.. i guess they got a few in last week.. i am still on the list.. what about you greer? this is really pi$$in me off...

jim

Norman L

Second Unit
Ernst,

I have the Onyko 600 and just blew 2 - B & W DM2000 floor stand speakers (1986 vintage). These speakers were driven in the past by 150watts per channel. When I spoke to B & W they said that low wattage amps distort power to speakes that need power when watching HT. I wish the 600 had pre-outs other than the sub. I have until May 6 to return it for the 700 which lists for $300 more than the 600 or the Yamaha 630 or 730. I think it is wise to have the extra preout, I cannot afford to blow more mains.

BTW, I have a SVS 25-31 sub and the crossover on the receiver was 80, the mains with on large since they were large, I change it to small but I think it was to late.

I have not decided to repair or buy new mains, but I wish I had the preouts and used my 150W seperate power amp.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel,
after you hook up your nsp1 to your 600, please let us know what you thought. That is exactly the same set up I am buying in a month or so and your input would be extremely valuable to me ;)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I plan on buying new speakers...maybe some energy take 5.2s or something low wattage so I don't risk clipping....right now I have 100W 6 ohms philips speakers (crap).

-ELmO

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I plan on buying Divas or Axiom speakers. Does anyone think that I will blow out my speakers with the 600? Will I need to get the 700? Thanks!

Greer_R

Agent
I'm cancelling my 600 order an going for the 700...I guess if I have to wait, might as well wait on the better model an take the plung so to speak.

-Greer

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
What are you waiting for though...just for Onkyo?

There are better model receivers out there...guess you just like Onkyo like me.

I'm not too worried about clipping,

ELmO

Greer_R

Agent
Onkyo hasn't released the 700 and the 600 is in limited quantities still.

I do link onkyo and I like their design/functionality. A few of my friends have them and I've been impressed with their reliability and performance.

-Greer

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,

Just got my 600 today from Circuit City. Paid for it last week and they did a store transfer from another location about 30-40 miles away. Had a tough time getting them down from their $499 price, but was able to get it to $449 and it was $474 out the door like other posters have mentioned when buying from Circuit City. I only mention my situation as I had to call upon this forum to help me haggle the price... they were not budging from the $499 price, so the salesman and I went over to the in-store broadband internet display and I got this thread up and told him that he could sell it to me today for $449 as other Circuit City stores had done, or I could get it from J&R for $430. Also mentioned that the local hifi store has the Denon 1802 for $449 and that was my bottom line. Non-confrontational exchange, and it was actually kind of fun. I'm happy, they're happy and now I can finish setting up my system. Thanks for the great advice and help!

Greer_R

Agent
oh to be in NOVA again, instead of middle of nowhere blacksburg...something to be said about being in a major metropolitan area I guess. Closest best buy is 45 min away.

-Greer

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
oh to be in NOVA again, instead of middle of nowhere blacksburg...something to be said about being in a major metropolitan area I guess. Closest best buy is 45 min away.
You could take that as either a good thing or a bad thing. I'm actually almost ill from visiting all of the local shops. Half the equipment is barely hooked up and then they want you to pay full retail price for barely hearing what you're going to buy. I'm nearly convinced that the Internet is the only way to go - find a vendor that will not abuse you too bad if you need to return something and order through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks