What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Can someone who got J&R to sell it for $400 post their full name and order number so I can get them to match it please?

Also, did I read correctly that CC has it on sell for 429?

Jim...nice deal! No free cable for me. :frowning:
No. CC didn't commit to any particluar date. They checked five local CCs and each one was out of stock and had a couple orders for 600s pending. I'm assuming (hoping) that Onkyo will ship to them soon since it's one of their major chain retailers.
Derick...my CC had the 600 on sale last week for $429. They actually had some in stock when I was there, but they were gone when I came back two days later ready to buy. Also, the sale was over at that point and the 600s were listed back at $499. Like most things at CC though, the price was negotiable (these guys are on commission). I gave them a sob story about missing the sale and they agreed to place one on back order for me at $429 if I paid up front. Usually, CC back orders don't require that deal, but I was willing to do it to get the lower price.
One point of advice...you might want to casually mention that you will need a bunch of cables when the unit arrives. They will salivate at the prospect of selling you $500 worth of Monster cables. That seemed to seal the deal for me. Of course, I have most of the cables that I need and will just pick up a couple more ARs at Best Buy when the new unit arrives. :)
(insert cable religious war here)
cheers,
Steve

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Derick, Call Hal at extension 1027, he gave me the deal. He also told me that if I found a better deal locally (because I told him I was going to look) to call him first to see what he could do. I may see if I can get him to throw in second day air and some cables, since he "was very sorry" that I got screwed out of the deal because all first time buyers are subject to a "credit check"

Steve.. sounds like a good deal.. For about $30 more you get no hastle returns.. If I can get HH Gregg to throw in a 3' optical digital Acoustic research cable, then I may just go that route. (They were supposed to have them last week.. called yesterday and they are supposed to be in today.)

jim

Norman L

Second Unit
Onyko 600

When playing music CD's, not music DVD's what setting do you use in order to use your subwoofer and have natural sound?

When watching TV ,with CableVision Optima Box that has audio out and video out, when I use prologic II or DTS Neo 6, I just hear the center and a very little sub. TV Logic and All Channel Stereo does not sound natural.

Norman L

Second Unit
Jim,

This is my first 6.1 / 5.1, I previous had a Onkyo 727 Prologic only.

I bought the Radio shack SPL meter and balanced all the speakers. The only DVD I played at this time was the Matrix in Dolby digital, OUTRAGEOUS. I am waiting for an SVS 25-31 CS since I have a power Amp (TANBERG high quality from the mid 80's.)

Prologic II does not seam to work on any of my cable stations, it must be my cable company. I do not have any old video's to check out PLII. Can you recommend a video rental to check out PLII?

As far as music CD's what are your suggested settings?

Overall I think it is great.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to get the 600 for $429 at CC when I told the sales guy about JandR. I would've had to order one, but the guy was able to find one in stock at another CC a few miles away. So I payed for it there and picked it up at the other CC. This is a great receiver!

I have to thank everyone at HTF for helping me research and finally purchase a receiver I really enjoy.

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I'm enjoying my new SR600 too. I have watched quite a few movies in PLII. I watched True Lies last night on FX. PLII is amazing with TV. I also watched Castaway on Cinemax. The water scenes were great (plane crash too). This unit is easy to set up and sounds pretty good too. I am going to rent some of the movies I see discussed here this weekend to further explore its abilities.

Norman L

Second Unit
Greg, You said

"I'm enjoying my new SR600 too. I have watched quite a few movies in PLII. I watched True Lies last night on FX. PLII is amazing with TV"

I watched True Lies last night also the receiver was on PLII and I only heard the center speaker. My cable box has a pair of RCA audio out that is set to Video 2 on the receiver inputs. Unless my problem is with my cable company. Cablevision Optima box.

Any suggestions?

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Norman,

What kind of cable box do you have? I have an AT&T Digital Cable box made by GE which allows you to go to the setup screen for the box and find various options for audio output; like mono, stereo and matrix. You might just need to change this if your cable box provides you with this option. The PLII mode should work once you get a stereo/surround signal and you have everything calibrated properly. I watched True Lies as well and PLII worked great for me.

Another option for you would be to try the PLII Music Mode, and then adjust the various settings like Panorama, Dimension, and Center Depth (Press the Audio Adjust button on your remote while in PLII Music mode to access this) and see if you can get a better surround field that way.

Other movies to try out would be Laserdisc or Widescreen VHS versions of the Star Wars Trilogy and the Indiana Jones Trilogy. Listening to the Dolby Surround tracks on those movies decoded by PLII is a great experience.

Parin

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I got my 600 yesterday from J&R. I have yet to hook it, all i have done is make sure it was not damaged. I have a few other jobs around the house I have to do before I am allowed to hook it up.:frowning: At least it gives me motivation to get other stuff done that I have been putting off. I hope to have it up and running Saturday, with my new NSP1 speakers and PB12. I don't know what movie I should watch first. I was thinking Gladiator.

jeff morris

Agent
Norman -

I also got my 600 yesterday and will be hooking it up this weekend.

I too have Cablevision and I notice that on some(most) stations ONLY the center channel is happening, like the mains and rears just aren't getting enough signal. Probably Cablevisions fault, altho I'm using an old Technics prologic RX. But I will be looking out for what you say.

Right now I have HBO2 on and the sound is buzzing eveywhere, sounds GREAT, but I know as soon as I change channels I'll get that same 'center channel only' effect.

I'll get back.

jeff

Norman L

Second Unit
Jeff, Parin

I checked my General Instrument CFT2200 Cablevision Optima Box menu. No adjustment for sound.

When using the RCA L/R outputs of the cable box I get only center sound but when I use the 75 OHM from the cable box to the TV and RCA L/R out from the TV into the 600, I get all channels. That does not make sense. I would think that the RCA out from the cable box would be better?

Can anyone explain?

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Norman,

Usually the direct audio outputs from the cable box should be better but, for some reason, I think the L/R output on your cable box is only sending out a mono signal. A mono signal collapses to just the center channel when being decoded by PLII, which is what you're experiencing.

Anyway, hooking up the Coaxial (75 ohm) cable to the TV, and then the RCA L/R from the TV to the receiver seems to solve the problem for you and I would stick to it unless you can find out some more information regarding the audio output on your cable box (call the cable company?).

Parin

jeff morris

Agent
Correct Parin!!!

That is exactly how I have my setup wired. I too found the outputs of the cable box to have some kind of mono mix and just won't go there again.

But I do have definate problems with the cable broadcast signal being very inconsistant in the quality delivered to my RX. Sometimes its womnderfully matrix'd and other times sounds like a handheld transistor radio.

Yes, yes, I know, get satillite.......not ready for that yet.

Norman L

Second Unit
Jeff,

I just discovered that using the Cablevision Optima box, in order to get PLII with the COAX to TV and back to the 600,

the cable box volume control must be at the mark seen on the TV BEST for STERO or above. If it falls a few notches below BEST for Stero the PLII cuts out.

I do not know why. The RCA jacks behind the cable box does not work in PLII still.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Daniel,

Anymore word from JandR about the shipment later this week? My sales rep keeps saying next week or the week after.

jim..

ps.. to those of you enjoying the 600 now.. :p must be nice

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
So I assume the dolby bug drop outs don't happen on this SR600.

And you mentioned the SR600 volume level doesn't remember when you shut it off? So what happens when you turnit back on, are you saying it's on the lowest volume level? I find it hard to believe a $500 MSRP receiver will do this...

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks