What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official Movies in HD on Television Thread (1 Viewer)

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Tell me about it.:) If there's any HD media delivery system I truly support and recommend to relatives and friends it's HD services via DBS in conjuction with a HD-DVR machine....it's far and away the best bag for your buck these days. And, for the studios those costs in furnishing content to networks can be anticipated and budgeted for and more importantly - controlled.
There's a lot more to consider in manufacturing software. Just look at how long it took for the studios to release their A list of titles with SD DVD.... much more than just a few years and this was via a format that was/is hugely successful by any standard.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hehheh. For my friends and relatives, seems like borrowing movies from me is the best bang for their buck, if they don't want to bother spending the extra $$$ to get good quality HD for movies. ;) :D Besides, for many, NetFlix might be more compelling.

BTW, if you do love using the HD-DVR to "own" those HD movies, you might consider getting a Raid capable external drive instead. I just noticed that such a 2TB beast (for 1TB use w/ simulataneous backup) costs almost the same per GB as smaller externals. That's probably what I'd do if I really want to use this method in place of HDM -- assuming the HD-DVR works fine w/ such.

As for concerns about HDM releases, I'd point out though that movies released to DVD have already regularly gotten HD transfers for a long time now. However, as noted repeatedly elsewhere, there's plenty of real concern whether older transfers have been good enough for HDM as we want it. Presumably, more recent and future HD transfers for DVD (and HD broadcasts) should be good enough, but that still leaves a good deal of catalog titles in question. And it's there where I wonder if we won't see at least some studios (like Universal and Paramount) cut corners w/ their HDM releases. I sure hope not or the quality advantage over HD broadcasts will be lost.

Then again, don't widescreen movies typically get cropped to 16x9 ratio for HD broadcasts? Not exactly what most of us here want even if the PQ/AQ is similar.

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Thanks for the heads up on that 2TB "monster" but my problem is not storage but finding the time to watch the HD content I've already recorded. Storing HD content is soooooooo addictive!!!
Some friends that have recently bought plasma HDTVs have updated their current DBS services for more HD content. They preferred this over buying HDM even with Tosh giveaway prices. They just were not interested and were completely satisfied with their upconversion SD DVD players.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
HD DVR's are great for recording and short term storage, I've had one for over a year. Though the hard drives do have a tendency (much more frequent then PC hard drives) to crash (permanently loosing your recordings of course) especially the more recording you do. That's always fun, but thankfully I didn't pay for any of the films I recorded.

Having said that I'd be a moron to expect a hard drive to be a viable replacement to a library of physical media.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Your expressing the conventional line of thought regarding HD recorders, but, I'm sure your aware, that on newer equipment, with large external hard drives, LONG term storage is becoming more and more a reality for many consumers. This is a fairly new development that is being heavily advertised by the DBS industry. It seems every other day my newspaper has a full page ad by Dish Network extolling their HD recorders. And yet all the media tech writers are still hung up on "downloads" and are ignoring, so far, the huge impact HD recorders are going to have on the entertainment industry in my opinion. It's already affecting my HDM buying habits i.e. I recoded Hoosiers one of my favorite movies and will not purchase the Blu-ray disc as I'm satisfied with the PQ/AQ of the recording. I have already started a library of recorded catalog HD movies many of which are not available on HDM.

As far as physical media is concerned, I still have my SD DVD library and I've got to admit, that compulsion or whatever that drives us collectors to collect physical media has greatly subsided, no doubt, helped by the sudden devaluation of our SD DVD collections.:frowning:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
DVR technology isn't new (even HD), like I've said I've had an HD DVR for over a year and I had a SD DVR for close to 3 years before that. It hasn't exactly taken the world be storm and it hasn't effected the DVD industry so far so I don't see it being on the cusp of some mass adoption. Also as I've said before having gone through quite a few units over the years, the hard-drives have a tendency to crash quite often. I know from experience.

Again an HD DVR is great for what it is (recording and short term storage)but the only thing that's been effected from having a DVR is I don't need Netflix as much as I used to, which is fine by me.

For the average Joe who watches a lot of TV and the occasional movie here and there who's also on a tight budget maybe just an HD DVR is probably the way to go in all honesty. But in all reality I can't see the average Joe monkeying around with an external hard-drive when most can't even hook up their HD equipment correctly.

As for the serious film collectors/afficiando's, I really can't imagine very many who would abandon physical media and rely entirely on putting their movie collection on a hard-drive (external or no) that will crash eventually. It's not a matter of if, but when. I'd think most of whom would have the common sense that unlike hard-drives, you're not teetering on the brink of disaster with physical media barring any disaster that might occur to your home.

Storing a movie collection on a DVR hard-drive or an external hard-drive just isn't my thing, never will be. Plus I'm not on a fixed income so it's physical media all the way for me with the HD DVR just as a supplement.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

I know you're happy as can be right now but that Honeymoon will be over when that hard-drive of yours crashes. :D But whatever floats your boat I guess. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you want to discuss the latest television showing of "Lawrence of Arabia" in HD, this is the thread for that discussion. Also use this thread to talk about recording HD movies on your DVR or whether recording HD Movies on your DVR is an alternative to HDM.

Any discussion related to HD television broadcast of movies is welcome in this thread.

Crawdaddy

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

This is the most perfect post i have seen in some time, cause it says exactly how i feel about the same thing. Only Jim said it better than i ever could. Jim, if this were my post, id reuse it every time someone has to say how perfect DVRs, or worse, computer downloads, are. I am sure we are missing the boat, and will be left behind because of our backwards thinking, but i dont think so. Physical media all the way for me too! :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Is the forum messed up, did i post in the right are?. Is this thread ALSO the Movies in HD on TV thread, or is it still the retail, studio support thread?

WTH? I was posting in another thread, and now its here? Crawdaddy, did you mean for it to be in the HD software section? I sure dont think HD TV, even on a DVR, as software. But thats just me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, since we're having more and more discussion about television viewings of movies in HD and talk about recording movies in HD on our DVRs, the staff felt a separate thread was warranted in order to enhance that discussion even more while not hijacking other threads discussing HDM. In a way, both forms of watching movies in HD are kind of married to each other as they generate more interest into each other.

Crawdaddy

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I understand whats going on now. Sounds like a good idea. I was having trouble getting the forum to load, then when it did i ended up in an area i wasnt in. I saw your post about getting caught in the move to here. It was kind of funny, i thought i posting in the wrong area, having a senior moment.

[dont look at the crazy guy who doesnt know where he is]

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Bite your tongue! (crosses fingers) What floats my boat is a viable alternative to HDM which seems to be moving like sloooow mooootion since Warners dropped the bomb. Sure, maybe I will buy Forrest Gump sight unseen when its finally released on Blu-ray 4 years from now, but meanwhile I can enjoy Forrest... and many, many other title favorites in HD on my HD-DVR until then. I'll tell you what I hated most over the past 10 years and that was WAITING for titles that interest me to be released on SD DVD. Now, I'm just waiting days as I scan ahead for my favorites on the HD channels. Yup...it's going to be a long Honeymoon. I sure hope Wizard of oz will be shown in HD over Easter.:)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I really think anyone who wants to use their HD-DVR to store a long term/permanent movie collection really should get an external drive w/ Raid capability for instant backup. If that 2TB drive I mentioned works fine for your HD-DVR, you'll basically have instant backup for the price of an extra drive, which is not bad at all.

Also, I'd suggest to *not* use that same external drive for regular timeshifting and such so you can minimize wear-and-tear for the drive that is meant to handle your permanent storage needs. If it's really as simple as just plug-and-play (like I understand), then I'd just keep it unplugged unless it's needed for recording or playing back a movie from your collection. Just use the HD-DVR's smaller internal drive for regular non-permanent chores.

And yeah, as I mentioned elsewhere before, I could see this market eventually overtake the rental (and maybe bargain bin) market, if it does take off.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the month of March I have my HD DVR setup to record the following films which I'll watch at my convenience:
  • Grindhouse: Planet Terror (MAX)
  • Grindhouse: Death Proof (MAX)
  • Just One of the Guys (HDNET)
  • Chinatown (MAX)
  • Pulp Fiction (STARZ)
  • Gladiator (MAX)
  • Sharky's Machine (MAX)
  • Glory (HDNET)
  • Hotel Rwanda (UNIV)
  • Seprico (MAX)
  • Fracture (MAX)
  • Jeremiah Johnson (HDNET)
  • Call Northside 777 (MAX)
  • The Ghost and the Darkness (UNIV)
  • Ship of Fools (HDNET)
  • Destination Tokyo (MAX)
  • Sons of Katie Elder (HDNET)
  • To Die For (UNIV)
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (HDNET)
  • Manhunter (UNIV)
  • The Gunfighter (MAX)
  • Escape from Alcatraz (MAX)
  • The Big Red One (MAX)
  • Two Rode Together (HDNET)
  • He Got Game (STARZ)
  • Sink the Bismark (MAX)
  • Cliffhanger (HDNET)
  • O' Brother Where Art Though (STARZ)
  • Little Miss Sunshine (MAX)
  • Halloween 2 (HDNET)
  • John Adams (HBO)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have not been at all impressed with the quality of the HD movies on Comcast. They compress so much, you might as well watch SD.

The other issue is that a lot of channels still have not figured out how to show a movie in the OAR. They insist on stretching etc.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quite the contrary, since the original post (and several following it) is in direct opposition to this statement. By putting this thread in the HT Software section, it's more like a chance for people disgusted with HDM to badmouth shiny disc media, contrary to the stated wishes of the majority of forum members interested in HDM.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's appropriate has already been decided by the staff. If you don't like this thread then you have the choice of not participating in it.

In regard to your comment aimed at me, I see it differently. Also, I find it ironic that your post about people being disgusted about HDM follows a post in which somebody is criticizing the HD presentation of movies on television. That poster is correct that some HD television presentations of movies isn't up to par and is far from being on the level of HDM. Case in point is "Patton" that is playing on Cinemax today. It's not up to HDM PQ level and is not in its correct OAR or OAF. I'm sure the BR release in June of this film will blow Cinemax's presentation out of the water.

By the way, most of the posts in this thread were taken from the Industry, Retailer and Studio Support thread which to me were hijacking that thread's focus which is one of the reasons why this thread was created.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I totally agree with the "Patton" assessment. It was just awful. With few exceptions any HD broadcast movie not in its OAR I just erase. Though, I was impressed with "Braveheart" in HD which was broadcast in widescreen just a few days earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks