What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (3 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly that, as they did the same thing with "The Natural" which has two film versions and "Close Encounters of a Third Kind" with their three film versions.
Also Columbia did not include the extended edition of "1776" on the digital copy. Warner Bros didn't include the smilebox version of "How The West Was One"on digital copy or on disc except on the original Digibook release of the film. Who knew it was to become so rare at the time the digibook was released. Could have been a selling point if Warner announced it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Seems gone again at Deep Discount. Maybe it will come back after 15% coupon expires shortly. Now you get message that item can't be found, which was also true yesterday.

The price at Amazon went back to $120.
You can't mess around as availability and pricing is fluid for titles in demand. The pricing was $106 about 1-2 hours ago on Amazon.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Seems gone again at Deep Discount. Maybe it will come back after 15% coupon expires shortly. Now you get message that item can't be found, which was also true yesterday.

The price at Amazon went back to $120.

I was able to get my order in as well as several others at Blu-ray forum when I read it had returned, but I guess they didn's have that many left.

Bullmoose also had some copies left at $150 though it appears their stock was pretty small since several of the stores were out.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I think they'll be back in stock again.

Probably, but how long each restock lasts is harder to outguess. I think this was supposed to have the same Limited Number as Vol 1. I didn't think this Volume would be as popular as Vol 1, but apparently others thought the opposite plus I think the scalpers learned something with Vol 1 and made a few 'extra' orders with this one.

I can't remember exactly how long Vol 1 took to finally (mostly) sell out, but it seemed to be a few weeks
BBY did relist a few copies of Vol 1 a few weeks ago -- most people figured it was an error and they meant Vol 2, but at least half dozen people got shipment in the last week or so.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Not seeing what you are seeing. Amazon US still seems to be selling the US verstion with the Digital Codes.The price has even gone down from $120 to $106.46. Apparently it was down to $99.95 at Amazon per the link below but is now $106.46 when this was written.

oh wow, what a mess. If it's available on vudu in HDR 4K i don't get why sony didn't do the same for all streaming platforms :huh:
VUDU shows the 4K of OLIVER! can be purchased on October 19.😳

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, David. I was able to get my order in too when I saw your post about the set being back in stock at Deep Discount and that the 15% off coupon worked.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Probably, but how long each restock lasts is harder to outguess. I think this was supposed to have the same Limited Number as Vol 1. I didn't think this Volume would be as popular as Vol 1, but apparently others thought the opposite plus I think the scalpers learned something with Vol 1 and made a few 'extra' orders with this one.

I can't remember exactly how long Vol 1 took to finally (mostly) sell out, but it seemed to be a few weeks
BBY did relist a few copies of Vol 1 a few weeks ago -- most people figured it was an error and they meant Vol 2, but at least half dozen people got shipment in the last week or so.
I believe Volume 1 was sold out by release day. Several months later, in October, Amazon got some more stock, which is when I bought my set. The new stock started at list price $169 and kept going in and out of stock at Amazon with the price slowly going down and popping up again.

Currently Vol 1 is being sold by scalpers on Amazon for $900 to $1,000 . I don't know if anyone is buying at those prices but that is what they are asking for the set,

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
A number of the sites were OOS by release, but I know it was available for order at a couple places for at least week or two afterwards -- not counting the small October restock.
I can't remember how big those restocks were and how many other stores were involved

I found some notes that Amazon and Target still had copies near the end of June. I pretty sure Target B2G1 sale in mid June had it in stock for much of the week

Walmart and Amazon still were selling new copies as late as July 4. Mid Sept to Mid Octobe Amazon had stock for 2-3 wks for $95-105 and apparently around Black Friday Amazon was selling at least a few copies for $90-91

Some of the issues was the LOA disc and some people refused to order or cancelled order UNTIL a replacement set was released instead of ordering adn getting a replacement disc directly.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Send your complaints to [email protected]. They may not respond, but I do know they are keeping track of and forwarding any and all complaints regarding digital redemptions.

Unfortunately, the 4K digitals are screwed up once again. Sure, they redeemed in 4K on MoviesAnywhere. However, there are issues if you play the movies on iTunes or even Vudu. For iTunes, it's only the theatrical cut of "Stripes" plus it's in HD. Furthermore since you can't preview it that means that individual digital isn't available for purchase. Yet, the extended cut in 4K with iTunes Extras is available to purchase this week on iTunes for $9.99. Also, on Vudu, it's only the theatrical cut, but at least it's in 4K, but with no extras. On MoviesAnywhere, I see only the theatrical cut of "Stripes" in 4K. In short, if you redeem your 4K code on MA, the extended version of "Stripes" isn't available to watch on MA, iTunes nor Vudu.

There are other issues with some of the other titles too, but I'm just too tired and frustrated to go into them except to say "Oliver!" is only in HD on iTunes.

Sony botching things up again😠

So Oliver is only in 4k at moviesanywhere?

It's in 4K/Dolby Vision on Vudu, 4K with no HDR on MA and in HD on iTunes.:rolleyes:

oh wow, what a mess. If it's available on vudu in HDR 4K i don't get why sony didn't do the same for all streaming platforms :huh:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Unfortunately, the 4K digitals are screwed up once again. Sure, they redeemed in 4K on MoviesAnywhere. However, there are issues if you play the movies on iTunes or even Vudu. For iTunes, it's only the theatrical cut of "Stripes" plus it's in HD. Furthermore since you can't preview it that means that individual digital isn't available for purchase. Yet, the extended cut in 4K with iTunes Extras is available to purchase this week on iTunes for $9.99. Also, on Vudu, it's only the theatrical cut, but at least it's in 4K, but with no extras. On MoviesAnywhere, I see only the theatrical cut of "Stripes" in 4K. In short, if you redeem your 4K code on MA, the extended version of "Stripes" isn't available to watch on MA, iTunes nor Vudu.

There are other issues with some of the other titles too, but I'm just too tired and frustrated to go into them except to say "Oliver!" is only in HD on iTunes.
Because 3D Blu-ray was my final physical format, all my 4K purchases are digital. I do see the advantages of physical over digital in cases like these, where none of the specs get skimped on disc. For the 2 titles that were previously available in 4K, Vudu hasn’t updated them to include HDR (or even Atmos on S&S), but the 4 new-to-4K titles get both. Meanwhile over at iTunes, they all 6 get Dolby Vision but no Atmos. (Oliver hasn’t upgraded just yet, but it will.).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Meanwhile over at iTunes, they all 6 get Dolby Vision but no Atmos. (Oliver hasn’t upgraded just yet, but it will.).
Well, after redeeming on MoviesAnywhere, my digital codes from my physical media purchase of this 4K Boxset, two titles on iTunes, "Stripes" and "Oliver!" are still only in HD. Furthermore, my code redemption only gave me the theatrical cut of "Stripes". This sucks! The lack of uniformity still in 2021, is not good at all. The industry continues to screw up every single home video format, one after another.

One more thing, "Sense and Sensibility" doesn't have Dolby Vision on iTunes, it's 4K/HDR. The other three titles are in 4K/Dolby Vision which are The Social Network, "Taxi Driver and Anatomy of a Murder.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Should I wait to redeem my code after Itunes upgrades Oliver to 4K? I plan on redeeming it at moviesanywhere, which is connected to my itunes account. I'm just not sure if I redeem my copy now, will it be stuck in HD or will it upgrade when Itunes changes theirs to the new 4k version?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Should I wait to redeem my code after Itunes upgrades Oliver to 4K? I plan on redeeming it at moviesanywhere, which is connected to my itunes account. I'm just not sure if I redeem my copy now, will it be stuck in HD or will it upgrade when Itunes changes theirs to the new 4k version?
If you read my posts after I redeemed my codes at MoviesAnywhere, what do you think?;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just dropped in to say regarding the 4K set ...

Carol Anne Freeling Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks