What's new

Official announcement for starting construction for my HT room! (1 Viewer)

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Shannon,
I will definately take you up on that. I have never done that before and I would appreciate the help on that.

I am going to send you a PM with my phone number and email address if you want to get a hold of me sometime.

JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Robert,

I noticed on TC's website that only the quad VC 15" is available. The dual VC 15" is out of stock. They do have the 12" dual VC in stock. What do you recommend doing? If I didn't get a TC sub, what would you recommend next that would be good quality for the money?

By the way I am looking at the EP-2500's on Ebay right now and wanted to make sure that it is the Europower EP-2500 amp that I should buy?

Thanks,
JJ

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
2 x 12" dvc tc-3000 would do just fine and even better then the single 15"
Plus the EP-2500's would power those 12's just fine! I would almost bet you would be happier with the two 12" plus it helps with acoustic problems that some rooms have.
As for the OPPO dvd with your projector able to do 1080p and you will be able to do HDMI switching with the 805 I say go with the DV-981HD (But then again its just my opinion)
you have a PM also.
Shannon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TC Sounds' site is a little slow to be updated. There are no QVC coils in stock or 12" titanium cones. I'm not sure why they are even listing those as available.

If you want with an IB, then get four XJ-15's for $125 each. They have an Adire Brahma motor but the build house made the suspension stiffer than what DIY Cable speced out. Rather than send them back, DIY Cable is just blowing them out at around their cost. If I didn't have my 18's on order, I'd get these. And yes, your link is a perfect example of a successful IB install. Sign up at Infinitely Baffled to view their gallery of IB installs. Besides the gallery, there's a general FAQ, along with guidlines on building and placement.

If the TC Sounds confusion or their price increase keeps you from ordering, then there are dozens of other options.

Yes, the EP-2500 is the Europower 2500. I got mine from Musician's Friend since shipping was free and they have a great reputation for service.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Robert and Shannon Thanks for the recommendations!!!!

I think I might jump on the XJ-15's. The price would be right and at that price I probably would do two of them right away. The amount of money that I have to put toward this now would be 2 of subs and the amp. This is going to be such a huge upgrade to what I have now!!! Now if I can get an ep-2500 at the right price I would just about be set.

Shannon, I am going to give you a call this afternoon.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
I was thinking starting off with two but make the IB cabinet big enough to go with 4. I guess if I am going to do that I would definately want to have matched subs for all four.
Since the XJ-15's will be a little different when they sell out of the current ones. If I went with four of the 15's would I still be able to run that with one amp?

I guess my next big question would be where should I put the IB setup. I have a storage room to the left of my stage. On the other side I have a furnace room that is located on the right side of the stage toward the back of the door on the right. Then there is always behind or on the stage area, but it will not be totally sealed off from the HT room. What are your thoughts on placement?

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
JJ
I think Robert is better to get you on the right road to IB subs. Also feel free to contact me today anytime. I'm just going to be around the house being Lazy!

Shannon

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
MAN THOSE IB SETUPS ARE CRAZY!
But realistically whats the Frequency response of something like that 4x18" IB's?

My wife would have a cow.
LoL

Shannon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But you are doing this for her. Removing those big, ugly subs from the room. You will replace them with a small hole in the wall covered with a decorative grill.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Once I get the drywall up I will check that out ASAP. Since this will be an IB setup, is there any adverse affects per say noise vibrations in the room where it is setup(i.e. storage room or furnace room)? So if the subs get mounted up by the stage does it matter that behind the stage is not sealed off to the HT room?

Right now I am thinking that I will probably run 2 15s due to the home theater being under the bedrooms and to help keep the cost down. Especially since we watch the majority of the movies while our daughter is asleep. That is another big reason that I am going to run the Buttkickers in addition to the subs. Heck you never know I might just say the heck with it and get 2 18s.

I will definitely peruse through the FAQ's and guidelines section that you recommended.

I am sure I will end up with more questions later!

Thanks again for the info that you have provided!

JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Thanks Shannon, I sent him a PM today!

Ok, made good progress in the HT room today. My dad and I were able to get 3 dedicated 20 Amp circuits ran to the AV rack and yes I did say 3- 20 Amp circuits. Robert_J has me talked into running a separate amp for Infinite Baffle Sub setup. Now I will be able to run each amplifier on it's own circuit. I also got two other circuits wired in today for outlets and some lighting. I am starting to run speaker wire and will hopefully have that finished within the next day or so.

Now that I have some of the wiring done I will be able to start insulating some of the walls and start putting up drywall! I like that part, because it starts finally looking like a room.

JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Well, I have been busy buying equipment lately. Here is a list of new equipment I purchased within the last week and a half.

Logitech Harmony 1000 remote
Behringer EP-2500 Amp
2 - XJ-15 15" Subwoofers
Buttkicker BKA-1000 4A Subwoofer Amp
2 - Buttkicker LFE Shakers with the mounts (Still need to purchase 2 more)
Monster Power HTS-3600 MKII Noise/Surge Suppressor

I also purchased my light switches with software.

5 - Insteon Dimmer switches
1 - Insteon Keypad Dimmer switch
Insteon Houselinc Desktop kit (Software and Hardware to communicate to switches)
IR to X10 Command Console

That pretty well is the items that I have purchased recently. I have been working on electrical, getting the can lights wired in along with step lights. I am close to having the structural part of the platform complete. I have the electrical wiring run through for the step lights along with speaker wire for the buttkicker LFEs. I filled the platform with insulation and just need to button up the plywood panels.

Question, should I go ahead and use liquid nail to seal the floor panels shut, or should I just screw it down and be done with it?

I am planning on trying to finish up wiring this week and finish with the speaker wire. Once this is complete I will plan on trying to finish the walls around the stage and start putting insulation in and drywall up. I might take a few more days off here shortly to make more progress on the room.

That pretty well sums up any progress that I have made since my last post. Again I welcome any questions and or comments on my project!

JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Yea, that was what I was planning on doing. I just didn't know if I could get away without having to use the liquid nail. I also wanted to make sure that I am done inside there before I seal it all up. It would be a pain in the A** to get back in there to change something.

Is there anything that I might be forgetting to put in there for future use?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks