What's new

Official announcement for starting construction for my HT room! (1 Viewer)

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Thanks wfmiller and Robert! If you haven't read through the thread at the top of this section, it will help tremendously from running into any pitfalls.

Borrow away, I know I got plenty of my ideas from other people.

I will check that out Robert, Thanks!

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Well here is the latest and greatest, I will hopefully have the last of the drywall done within the next day or so in the concession area. I still need to haul some drywall down in the basement for drywalling the ceiling in the storage room to sound deaden the base of the sub from going upstairs. That means cleaning out the storage room.:frowning: But on the up side, I am hopeful that we will be able to start priming the room this weekend possibly.

I also I started on the construction of my sub box for the IB setup. I am hoping to have that pretty well finished by tomorrow night.

Here are some of the latest pics that I have of the concession area and IB sub box.

Here are the pictures of the IB Sub.

I will hopefully have more pictures of the room this weekend, keeping the fingers crossed there will be primer or paint on the walls. :emoji_thumbsup:

I also received my popcorn machine for the concession area yesterday, but had a big old dent in the top middle that will be facing everyone. I am in the process of trying to contact UPS and see what needs to be done to get this taken care of. If anyone has been through this process before, I would like any info that I can get on how to start the process with UPS.

Thanks,
JJ

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Looking good!! Sorry to hear about the Popcorn Machine! Also good luck on the UPS claim. They are DICKS!!!!!! One more thing Jay, I've just been popping in here about once a week so If you need anything shoot me a E-mail or call.
But on a cool note! The Sunfire is back, Plus the TV. so we are back in action. So if you are ever in the area stop by for a test drive.

Shannon

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Thanks! Alright, sounds good... Glad to hear that you got it all back together, I will definitely stop by the next time I am down your way.

ON A SIDE NOTE, for acoustic treatments I decided to do a whole wall treatment. Now I am still not sure if that means going up the wall to ear level or going all the way up the wall to the ceiling yet. I think this would probably look the best instead of just randomly sticking up panels. Plus I might make one section a little deeper on the other side from the sub to act as a bass trap. I still not a 100% about that yet, so if anyone out there has some opinions on how I should finish this out with acoustic treatments PLEASE chime in!

Cheers,
JJ

I have a few questions about using these ""Pro"" type amps....

How do you connect from a Receivers RCA/Preouts to these type of amps???
Most of them do not have RCA inputs...

Also, how is the sound quality???

I've been pondering on doing something like this for bit, but never really looked into it...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Almost any pro amp can run a sub. Quality is not that important. That being said, my opinion is that Behringer is the lowest quality I'd run on a full range system. A lot of people run the A-500 to power their mains with 200w/channel into 4 ohms. Some even run the EP-1500 (400w/channel into 4 ohms) but the EP series have a very loud fan. As you move up the scale into QSC and Crown amps, these are used to power systems in theaters. For example, Malco Theater's Paradiso location in Memphis uses 63,000w of QSC power with their largest screen - link. These pro amps sound good enough to get the THX stamp of approval. And Crown or QSC is not the only that are good. Mackie, Nady, Carvin and many others make very capable amps.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Ok, It has been a while since I posted last and I am happy to report progress!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Well, it has been a long time coming but I can finally say that the drywall is all done!!! So far the ceiling is painted and looking at having the HT room along with concession area and bathroom finished being painted tomorrow.

I have been working on putting in OC703 behind the screen on the wall and will be cutting 703 for the corners for bass traps.

Once painting is done, I will be working on finishing out the A/V rack and DVD slideout i.e. getting both painted. Finishing the screen wall is also on list for this week.

I will get some pictures posted by tomorrow night once I get everything situated down there.

I am also finishing up the IB sub and will try and get it mounted yet this week.

I am getting close to having an early Christmas! :D I can't wait till I get to start unpacking all the gear I have bought within this last 6 months or so. I also was able to pick up the Toshiba HD player at Wal-Mart a week or so ago for $98. I might be getting a PS3 for Christmas this year, then I will have both formats covered then.

I will post more when I get the pictures updated.

Cheers,
JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Making some good progress the last few days. The Theater and Concession area is all painted along with the bathroom. Here are some of the latest pictures of where we are at.

This is a picture of the OC703 installed on the wall behind the screen.

The step lights up and functional.

Here is the colors of the HT room, ceiling color is French Toast in a flat finish and the paint is Porter paint HI Hide. Let me say one thing, the French Toast would have to be severely burnt in order to be that color.

The wall color is Mocha Bean in a eggshell finish and is also Porter paint.

Here are a few of the Insteon Switches installed.

This is a picture of the concession area looking from the bathroom. I am using track lighting on the left to highlight the cabinets.

Another angle looking at the concession area. In the room on the left you can see a nice blue color in there, that is the bathroom.

Picture of the A/V and DVD rack, the A/V rack has two coats of paint and DVD rack is awaiting some finish sanding.

Here is the HT room starting to come together.

Here is the back of the theater. Wall lights will be highlighting posters. IB sub sitting on the floor waiting to be installed into its final resting place.

Anyway, everything seems to be coming along pretty good. In the next day or so I am planning to try and get doors installed and start getting the bathroom tile layed. I am also going to concentrate some energy to finishing off the A/V rack, so I can start getting components unboxed and onto the shelves. It seems as X-mas is coming early this year!

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask.

Cheers,
JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Here is the latest and greatest going on in the build. I finally got carpet ordered and should have it installed by the end of next week.

I also have a finish Carpenter building my door frame with tinted glass for the A/V rack. He should have that to me by next week sometime, then I should be able to start placing the equipment in the rack.

I ordered my GOM cloth today and should be getting that in next week sometime also. After typing all of this, it sounds like I will be pretty busy next week.

I have mainly been working on the concession area along with the bathroom. I am hoping to get the counter top in today or tomorrow for the concession area and get it installed right away. I am also going to try and finish installing the rest of the tile in the bathroom along with the toilet, vanity, and sink. I am really getting tired of having to run up the stairs when I need to go to the bathroom!

I finally have all my Insteon switches installed and will need to start figuring out how to program them.

I am still shooting for an early Christmas to start opening up all my toy boxes that have been taking up all the nooks and crannys of the house.

Here are some pictures of the latest progress.

This is the fun we had trying to stuff four Insteon switches into the box!

Here is the concession area cabinets. What really sucked was the wine rack was damaged along with the wall cabinet on the right. So I am waiting on replacements for them.

This is without the flash on the camera and just using the track lights to highlight the cabinets. Just in case if anyone is wondering what the opening will be for next to the fridge, is the microwave opening.

This is a closeup of the tile. I got it at HD and the name of it is Midnight Slate Copper. The tile is a porcelin tile, real slate is a little to pricey for me and a pain in the a$$ to grout.

Here is the bathroom that will have a car theme going on in there. In case you were wondering about the blue, the color was taken from a poster print of a Carrol Shelby AC Cobra blue w/white stripes, which will be going in the bathroom.

This is a night light that my wife thought would go nicely in the bathroom. She has good taste in night lights!

The Cobra cruising at night!

I do have one question that I hope somebody might have an idea on. On the top of my half walls, I was going to make 6" countertops to cap them. My question is if I laminate the plywood how do I go about fastening them to the walls?

Thanks in advance for any responses on my question. As always, I am open to suggestions, comments and questions if anyone has any.

Cheers,
JJ

logan8246

Agent
Real Name
Richard
Things are looking good JJ, I am looking to be finished with mine about a week before christmas. I will still have a lot of finish work and stuff to do, crown, base and other molding, etc, but it should all be usable. I have a question for you though.
What have you decided to do about your walls. Will you run the sound board from the floor to about 4 ft up, or are you going to do panels?

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Thanks! I am hoping to be done a week or two before Christmas also... At least that is what I am shooting for. I am glad to hear that your theater is almost finished! :emoji_thumbsup:

As far as acoustic treatments, I decided to just do panels. It started to become a cost issue as far as running it from the floor all the way up or even just to the 4' mark. I am hoping to start assembling frames for the panels as early as next week.

Have you decided what you are going to do for acoustic treatments yet?

Cheers,
JJ

logan8246

Agent
Real Name
Richard
I was leaning toward panels also, I am just going to buy some rigid 1/2 inch thick from an AC friend of mine. It may be a little into next year before I get around to that.
I will probably go ahead and post pics as soon as I get the carpet put in.
I am just ready to put up the equipment and see if it all works and watch a movie :p

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
I was able to pick up my counter top today for the concession area. The only downside is that the counter top is 16" to short.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
It needed to be 8' 2", but instead it was 82"... :angry: So I will be heading back to the store first thing in the morning and see if they can have one made to the correct length within a week or so. I am not having much luck with the cabinet area! :confused:

Besides that little hiccup, I was able to finish laying the tile in the bathroom tonight and will grout first thing in the morning. I was also able to get a coat of black paint on the A/V rack shelves and the interior of the DVD cabinet.

I am hoping to post tomorrow with a lot more progress being made.

Cheers,
JJ

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Great thread! Thanks so much for posting your progress with pics. It looks fabulous!

My wife and I just bought our first house. Unfortunately, there's no dedicated space for something like this. I've always wanted a home theatre room...maybe in the next house. So I'll just have to be happy with the new plasma on a wall and my speakers back up...with bass! 8 years of apartment living has robbed me of real movie enjoyment.

Keep up with the great work and updates.

-Seth

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Seth, thanks for the comments! Congratulations on your new house! I have been wanting to build this room for a long time. Definitely gone through a couple of houses before I had the area to do one. I know what you mean about being robbed while living in an apartment. You just have to make due for the time being until you have the are to do a HT, but it sounds like you have a pretty nice setup already.

Cheers,
JJ

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Jay,
I'm at a lost of words right now on how good your HT is looking. I'm booked this weekend, so I'm sad to say that I wont be able to come up to help you start setting that thing up (Sorry man!) But the following weekend I'm thinking I'm free but that's the weekend before X-mass. Hey, but Damn it we will get over there to take that new girl for a test drive and set up..

Shannon

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Sounds good! Well if you have some free time the weekend before X-mas that would probably be fine also. What ever works with your schedule, I know you have been busy lately. I am going to try and at least get equipment hooked up this weekend and getting the remote all setup.

That reminds me, anyone out there know how to go about setting up a behringer amp to turn on and off with your remote. Or do you have to turn that on manually?

Thanks,
JJ

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just leave mine on 24x7. The other option is to connect it to an advanced power center that has outlets that switch one automatically when it senses current on another outlet. Meaning when you turn on your receiver, the power center will see an increase in current flowing to that outlet. It then turns on the outlet the Behringer is plugged into. I know that Furman makes a power center with that capability.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

Really... I guess as long as there is nothing going into the input there is not much of an electrical draw.

I bought a secondary power conditioner/surge protector, but I have not looked at it very careful to see if it can do what you are saying. I do have a Monster 3600, but I thought that I would be pushing the limit with both the reciever, projector, and the behringer amp on it. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks,
JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks