What's new

Official announcement for starting construction for my HT room! (1 Viewer)

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Just a quick update,

I finally have all my speaker wire in place along with (hopefully) all the framing around the stage area. Here are a few updated pictures along with the curtains that I plan on using on the sides of the stage.

Stage with one of the curtains up

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/40/htf_imgcache_11834.jpeg] [/url]

Hard to see, but framed around the screen another wall that sits out about 6" past also to help conceal the speakers. Yes, the curtains are extremely thin and should have no problem letting the sound through.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/95/htf_imgcache_11835.jpeg] [/url]

Here is an expanded view of my basement along with the proposed placement of my Infinate Baffle Subwoofer. If you have any other suggestions for placement please let me know.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/1/16/htf_imgcache_11836.jpeg] [/url]

I also just purchased a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer to help EQ the bass.

The plan for the weekend is to start getting insulation up in the walls and ceiling. I also purchased 3 cases of green glue to double drywall.

One other question, how far away from the wall should I place my track lighting to highlight movie posters?

-JJ

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How much sound isolation are you going to do in the room below your daughter's room? The IB sub will be just as loud in there as in the main theater.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ

You know Robert, I have been doing a lot of reading about IB setups and after finding out the information that you have just mentioned I was wondering that myself.

To answer your question at first I wasn't going to do anything, but now it looks like I will insulate the ceiling and double drywall that ceiling also. The more I think about it the more I am looking at mount it up by the stage. I was thinking of building two manifolds, (one for each sub due to space) and place one to each side of the center channel.
PLEASE Chime in on that thought and let me know if what the pros or cons may be for that type of setup. I think that I would be able to better isolate the sound behind the stage. Here is one reason for this thought, since my A/V rack is open in the back I will not be able to isolate the sound going into that room. So no matter what I will still do the sound proofing that I mentioned above. Unless you think that would be enough to hold back the majority of the sound. I know I can't stop all the sound, but if I can stop about half of it that would be nice.

Anyone, please chime in and give me your thoughts on how you might set this up?
Another good question at this point, should I maybe think about building a box setup instead?
Or is there any other place beside the stage and the storage room that I could mount these bad boys?

Thanks, I will hang up and listen to your response! :laugh: Sorry, little talk radio humor there!

-JJ

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are going to put them by the stage, where will the backwave of the sub go? I don't see a room back there.

Mounting 1 per manifold - A manifold is designed to cancel out the vibrations of the sub. Connect the driver to an amp and put a sine wave on even at low volume. If you pick up the sub, you can't hold it still. The entire driver shakes with the motion of the cone. That's why powerful subs need heavy boxed.

Mounting the sub in a box - You picked the wrong sub for this. A proper sized box for that sub will be like a refrigerator. I say sound proof the storage room as well. When you find out that 2 drivers weren't enough, then it will be the perfect place to put your 2nd set of IB subs. And very few people don't get upgraditus after hearing quality bass.

-Robert

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
The area behind the screen is about 7'6" tall by 14" deep and 14'6" wide. That is what I have to work with behind the stage area. Would that be enough room for those subs. If worse comes to worse I could always leave a section open to the storage area.

I just figured that I could more effectively sound proof the section behind the screen then I could in the storage room. If I left part of that open to the storage room and still double layer the ceiling in there, I would think that the sound level would be a little less. (emphasizing LITTLE!)

I understand that the forces of the sub usually needs a very durable box, I guess what I am asking do I need to have both subs mounted in the same manifold? I might have enough room to mount both of them in the same manifold, I just haven't gotten in there to see what the dimensions are exactly. I was planning on doubling the box thickness for either the single or the two manifolds to 1.5", then mounting them to the studs.

I appreciate your thoughts so far and definitely would like to keep picking your brain on this to get it figured out.

Thanks,
JJ

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
JJ,
I don't know how this would work for soundproofing but Robert might know, What if you did a thin layer of spray in foam "let it expand & tack up" and then before it drys stick some of that egg crate padding on it then stick the dry wall over the top of that stuff. That might be better then the roll in insulation.

Shannon

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Thanks Richard, I appreciate the comment! I hope you are making good progress on yours also.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
It's that time again... yep, its time for another update. Well I am making some decent progress on the room. Since the last posted I have boxed in 5 of the 7 can lights that I have in the ceiling for soundproofing. I have insulated about 80% of the ceiling so far and need to finish up the last few areas to get this task completed. Electrical work should be finished until the drywall is installed, then the plugs and switches can then be installed. I have around 1/3 of the drywall up on the ceiling, which includes two sheets of 1/2" drywall with green glue in between the layers. I also have around 1/3 of the drywall up on the walls also. I also blacked out some of the studs around the screen that might be slightly exposed (hopefully not) so it should not be seen.

Here are some of the latest pictures I have of the progress:

Here is a shot of double drywalling around the can lights for soundproofing purposes. I used green glue between the joints of the drywall.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/1/1e/htf_imgcache_13033.jpeg] [/url]

Here is a picture of the can light enclosed with drywall, waiting for drywall to go onto the ceiling.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/85/htf_imgcache_13034.jpeg] [/url]

This is a picture of the back of the room of the drywall that has been installed.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/d/d9/htf_imgcache_13035.jpeg] [/url]

Here is a close up of the two layers of drywall going onto the ceiling.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/5f/htf_imgcache_13036.jpeg] [/url]

Here is the last picture that I have and it is of the wall that will hold the screen and the studs are blacked out. The plan is to drywall directly behind the screen for support so a person will not accidentally put their hand through the screen.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/69/htf_imgcache_13037.jpeg] [/url]

Well that is the latest and greatest so far... if anyone has any comments or suggestions I am always open to them.

Thanks again for checking out my progress. ;)

Cheers,
JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
I am planning on giving another update maybe this weekend when I can get a few more things finished up. Still trudging along! I just about have the drywall hung and I am still looking into someone taping and mudding the room for me yet, depending on the cost of course. I did finally purchase the receiver, but have not hooked it up yet to play with it. Well I guess you can consider this a mini update.

More to come within the next few days.

JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Quick update on the progress of the HT room. The drywall is finally getting taped and mudded and starting to look like a room. I am taking the week off and looking forward to making some good progress in the room. I hired someone to do the tape and mud so I can concentrate on other areas that need my attention. I will try and post some pictures when I get a chance.

Cheers,
JJ

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Time for another update!

Made some good progress last week while I was off work. I have a friend doing all the taping and mudding on the drywall. The theater room is coming together nicely and is getting down to the finer details. I had a guy come in that does wood working on the side and will be building my glass door frame for the A/V rack and helping me install it on the flapper door tracks. This way the door when opened can be slid back into the cabinet and out of the way while I am using the equipment.

Alright here are the latest pictures that I have.

This is a picture from the back of the HT room.

This is a picture from right behind the front couch.

On the far left is a cubby hole made to hold the Harmony 1000 remote and charing station. Then the A/V rack in the middle, which is getting a wood framed door with tinted glass in the center. On the far right of the picture is the DVD slideout that comes out about 18" and will hold around 300 DVDs.

This is a closeup of the screen and stage area.

This is a picture looking at the back of the HT room.

This is looking at the back of the HT room from where the concession area will be.

This is a picture of where the concession are will be located.

Some of the tasks that I will be trying to complete within the next week or so is finishing the Infinite Sub box, installing doors, finish the last little bit of drywall by the concession area.

As always, I welcome comments and or suggestions and questions on the build.

Cheers,
JJ

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Jay,
Its looking good. Just let me know when you want to start hooking stuff up and getting her tuned in..

Shannon

jason_hussey

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
this room looks awesome. just found the thread, looks like you've had fun with it. i hope to do something like this someday...but you seem infinitely more adept at electrical work than myself, i might have to outsource more. that's still years down the road though for me...i'm 24 and just starting my military career...hard to renovate a home when you're moving every 3 years!

good luck finishing it up...looking forward to seeing your updates.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Thanks for the comments Shannon and Jason!

Will do Shannon!

Jason, I was in the Navy for a while so I know what you mean. My dad has helped me with quite a bit of the electrical work so that helped out a ton! I am getting to the home stretch and looking forward to finally getting to use the room. :emoji_thumbsup:

Cheers,
JJ

wfmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne Miller
Wow great job so far. I am in the beginning planning stages with my basement. I have "borrowed" some ideas from your setup which I hope to incorporate into my HT.....;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's been a while since I checked on the progress. Things are looking great.

Fiberglass is just a good as egg crate. As I linked to in other sound proofing threads, double drywall and green glue is better.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks