What's new

Official 2013 Oscar Nominations Thread (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
15 out of 24 for me too. My worst results ever. And yes, that's the guy from Dante's Peak and also True Lies, Grant Heslov. Happy with most of the results except for Brave, which I thought was Pixars worst film yet, beating Wreck It Ralph. As for the show..I thought it was the strangest Oscar broadcast in a long time. Weird bits, jokes and all around bizarre vibe. Seth was OK I guess but I thought he would be better.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
Did the Avengers really innovate? I love the movie, one of my favorite of the year but, the fx were the same thing we see every summer from the tent pole blockbusters IMO.
They rebuilt a large portion of Manhattan entirely in the computer, from the sidewalk up to the tops of the spires: Then there's the magnificent work they did not just making another digital Hulk but taking a full body scan of Mark Ruffalo and turning that into the Hulk. And of course, that signature tracking shot through the city that captures of all of the Avengers in action, actually sewn together from a variety of individual shots. And then there's just the sheer variety of what was asked of that team. That loss ready bummed me out. The only worse snub in my book was the Argo screenplay over Kushner's Lincoln script, which was the best not only of this year but also many years.
mattCR said:
I cannot believe we went from an array of Jew jokes and then we run a skit where Seth ends up being in the role of the Nazi stage director from Sound of Music
To be fair, Seth was actually in the role of Von Trapp family friend Max Detweiler, who stretched out his M.C.ing as much as possible to allow them time to escape. It was a bit jarring though going from Jew jokes to Nazi armbands.
Chris Will said:
I'm so glad they dropped the gloating over each actor/actress nominee segments before those awards.
Me too. Easily the best surprise of the night. Those really made me gag, especially when they were cutting off winners' speeches to make room for them.
Chris Will said:
I enjoyed Seth tonight, would love for him to return next year.
I thought he did a good job, kept the show moving and mostly stayed out of the way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The anti-Lincoln/Spielberg or pro-Argo/Affleck themes was very obvious to me. The only reason why Lewis won his Oscar is that his performance was so dominate, they had to give it to him.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It was really a good night for James Bond. 2 Oscars. That hasn't happened in a while. Shirley Bassey singing Goldfinger (standing ovation). The 50th anniversary montage. Skyfall (the theme) is starting to grow on me. But a great opportunity was missed. What a thrill it would have been to see all 6 Bonds (Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig) appear on the stage together. I wonder if it was contemplated. I'm sure that, if asked, at least 5 would have done it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
And yes, that's the guy from Dante's Peak and also True Lies
And also got killed by a gray gorilla in "Congo" And not to get political, but did anyone else think it was bad form to have Michelle Obama read the BP award? No matter what your political beliefs lie, She's not a part of the film industry.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
And not to get political, but did anyone else think it was bad form to have Michelle Obama read the BP award? No matter what your political beliefs lie, She's not a part of the film industry.
It was definitely one of those headscratcher moments. I wonder if she was enlisted when "Lincoln" seemed like a lock for Best Picture a couple months ago.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That's what I figured. Speilberg paid the fee for SAG to have Clinton appear. I figure the Academy couldn't be one upped

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Robert Crawford said:
The anti-Lincoln/Spielberg or pro-Argo/Affleck themes was very obvious to me.  The only reason why Lewis won his Oscar is that his performance was so dominate, they had to give it to him.
This war broke out minutes after Spielberg lost. I guess people are going to wonder if Affleck not getting nominated made people vote against LINCOLN and I guess there's a chance but I just think the hype died down a little. I really did feel Spielberg delivered a poor job so I'm glad to see him not win just because of his name. I plan on viewing the film when it hits home video but I personally know no one, outside the internet, who loved the film. It really didn't do much in other races so it really did seem to me that the hype was just Spielberg's name. Would Affleck had beaten Lee? I'm not sure but you have to wonder if Tarantino could have done something if there was a real backlash going on. I'm not too upset with Day-Lewis taking home the prize even though I would have voted for THE SESSIONS actor who wasn't even nominated. I might have also gone with Phoenix but this guy is such a prick to people it's easy to see he might not ever win (and I thought he should have won for TO DIE FOR and WALK THE LINE).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It seems some people are loving Seth while others are wanting to find and kill him. I thought he was very funny at times but I wonder if people in the building were getting upset at the jokes. It really did seem that he backed off the jokes and just started announcing people. The Bond segment was really disappointing and quite useless. Yeah, the song was nice but I would have preferred seeing all the Bond actors or at least some of the Bond girls. Agreed on the Best Picture thing. It was great seeing Nicholson back in the front row and it was great he was out there but the rest was just silly. When I saw what they were doing the first thing that went through my mind was that LINCOLN was going to win.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess people are going to wonder if Affleck not getting nominated made people vote against LINCOLN and I guess there's a chance but I just think the hype died down a little. I really did feel Spielberg delivered a poor job so I'm glad to see him not win just because of his name. I plan on viewing the film when it hits home video but I personally know no one, outside the internet, who loved the film.
I thought Argo was great and I'm happy it won and I'm happy that since Ben was a producer, he got a statue for that.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It seems some people are loving Seth while others are wanting to find and kill him. I thought he was very funny at times but I wonder if people in the building were getting upset at the jokes. It really did seem that he backed off the jokes and just started announcing people.
I like Seth's shows, but I don't like him so much as a person. If you watch his material, at least to me, he comes off as the "if you don't share my views, you're an asshole" type. But I thought he was fine as host. Though, I thought he missed a good opportunity for a joke when it the monologue when Shatner said he would be the worst host ever, he could have said "How could I be worse than Hathaway/Franco" But I guess that would have got him banashed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I'm not too upset with Day-Lewis taking home the prize even though I would have voted for THE SESSIONS actor who wasn't even nominated. I might have also gone with Phoenix but this guy is such a prick to people it's easy to see he might not ever win (and I thought he should have won for TO DIE FOR and WALK THE LINE).
Yes, to me, John Hawkes in the Sessions turned in the most difficult performance of the year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
And also got killed by a gray gorilla in "Congo" And not to get political, but did anyone else think it was bad form to have Michelle Obama read the BP award? No matter what your political beliefs lie, She's not a part of the film industry.
Come on, Hollywood doesn't get enough credit and they're never too self-congratulatory so the First Lady owed it to them to tell them they're awesome as well. Seriously though, her speech was totally apolitical but the whole thing showed how pompous and how unaware of that pomposity the industry is. It's amazing and hilarious at the same time. Also, Grant Heslov is the computer guy in True Lies who works in the van with Tom Arnold and Schwarzenegger. ("Why do they call him the Sand Spider?" "Probably because it sounds scary.")

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tino
15 out of 24 for me too. My worst results ever. And yes, that's the guy from Dante's Peak and also True Lies, Grant Heslov.
Happy with most of the results except for Brave, which I thought was Pixars worst film yet, beating Wreck It Ralph.
As for the show..I thought it was the strangest Oscar broadcast in a long time. Weird bits, jokes and all around bizarre vibe. Seth was OK I guess but I thought he would be better.
You like it less than "Cars 2"?
I wasn't wild about "Brave" myself, but since I also wasn't crazy about "Ralph", I was okay with the pick. I'd have LOVED to see "Pirates!" win, as it was by far the most fun animated movie I saw last year, but I know it had little/no shot...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tino
15 out of 24 for me too. My worst results ever. And yes, that's the guy from Dante's Peak and also True Lies, Grant Heslov.
Happy with most of the results except for Brave, which I thought was Pixars worst film yet, beating Wreck It Ralph.
As for the show..I thought it was the strangest Oscar broadcast in a long time. Weird bits, jokes and all around bizarre vibe. Seth was OK I guess but I thought he would be better.
You like it less than "Cars 2"?
I wasn't wild about "Brave" myself, but since I also wasn't crazy about "Ralph", I was okay with the pick. I'd have LOVED to see "Pirates!" win, as it was by far the most fun animated movie I saw last year, but I know it had little/no shot...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll defend Brave. Loved it. I loved Wreck-It Ralph as well. I didn't see, but heard outstanding things about, Pirates, Frankenweenie, and (especially) Paranorman. I bet any would have been a worthy winner. But Brave was non-traditional (about listening to your parents, about balancing your dreams, about mothers and daughters [most animated films are about orphans (Aladdin), or daughters and fathers (Beauty/Pocahontas/Mulan), or sons and fathers (Hercules/Treasure Planet)]) and gorgeous. I was impressed by how off-formula it was. My biggest gripe is Terrio over Kushner. Argo had a fine script. Lincoln, as Adam already stated, had one of the best scripts of the past decade. It really did. Didn't care much for Macfarlane, but don't care much about the hosts. Some of his jokes were terrible, but when he ad-libbed, he was affable enough. You could tell they started planning the show months ago, when everyone expected Les Mis to win. I don't know whose idea it was to bring out the cast of Les Mis AFTER Jennifer Hudson demolished one of the greatest diva anthems of all time...but it wasn't a good idea. The Les Mis cast did fine, but you don't follow Jennifer Hudson. Adele and Shirley Bassey did fantastic as well. Double love for Chicago felt weird, since most barely remember it won a Best Picture Oscar (2002 was a weak year). And Renee Zellweger's face would only have made sense if she was chasing teenagers with a chainsaw. A cautionary tale. Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, and Charlize Theron looked absolutely incredible. I was excited to see Lawrence win, though Wallis or Chastain would have been great chocies as well (I did not see Amour and don't care about The Impossible). Cloud Atlas should have been nominated for score (and should have won), but almost no one saw it. The Score nominees were OK, though. Argo is a very good movie. I preferred at least three other nominees over it (and one or two non-nominees), but it is a fine enough film. Another movie about making movies wins again. Yay for Hollywood. Nice to see Ang Lee win a second Best Director Oscar, never having directed a Best Picture.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Nice to see Ang Lee win a second Best Director Oscar, never having directed a Best Picture.
Surprisingly, not unprecedented. Both Frank Borzage (Seventh Heaven (1927/28), Bad Girl (1931/32)) and George Stevens (A Place in the Sun (1951), Giant (1956)) did that trick as well, and of John Ford's four films he won Best Director for, only one (How Green Was My Valley (1941)) won Best Picture (the other three being The Informer (1935), The Grapes of Wrath (1940), and The Quiet Man (1952)).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I know it is not unprecedented but does the logic really hold up having the Best Director's film not winning Best Picture? If another director's vision and end product was deemed to be the better picture wouldn't that in fact mean the Best Picture's director did a better job since a completed film is the vision of the director realized? After all a film is always listed as “A (Director’s name here) film” Of course with this year’s nominees you couldn’t vote for Agro’s director since he was not nominated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
I know it is not unprecedented but does the logic really hold up having the Best Director's film not winning Best Picture?
If another director's vision and end product was deemed to be the better picture wouldn't that in fact mean the Best Picture's director did a better job since a completed film is the vision of the director realized? After all a film is always listed as “A (Director’s name here) film”
Of course with this year’s nominees you couldn’t vote for Agro’s director since he was not nominated.
A lot of times, it's studio or industry politics as they spread the wealth around with these awards. Sometimes, it might be just simple envy as to why the awards get split up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks