What's new

*** Official 2002 Major League Baseball Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'd hardly call the Cardinals a dark horse. According to everything I've seen, they're the favorite to win the division at the very least.
Alright Mr. Smarty Pants. Poor choice of words. :) I expect them to actually improve over last season, which I doubt many predicted. They're the smart guys who went after Tino to replace Big Mac, while the Bombers spent big money on Giambi.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I couldn't have said it better, Mark. What a game. A total team effort of goodness. For the moment, I have hope.
GO REDS!!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'll never be on the M's bandwagon. :D Have to admit that the trains running behind Safeco are pretty cool though. :emoji_thumbsup:

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Alright, a prediction:
AL: Mariners, ChiSox, Yankees, A's
NL: Giants, Cards, Braves, Astros
Yankees beating Cards in the series.
I'd have to agree with Mitty, the opening ceremonies at Fenway was quite something to see. I love baseball... :)
As a long time Jays/Mariners fan, I can't see the Jays finishing any higher than 2nd in the ALeast. probably 3rd.
Lets play some ball!!

Darren H

Second Unit
the os will finish dead last and jeeter the cheater and the yankeeies will finish 1st
Ryan, I hope that you had as much fun on opening day as I did. Too bad I couldn't be at Camden Yards, enjoying it in person. What the hell, I'll enjoy it for the few hours until reality sets in:
Orioles beat Clemens 10-3!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Orioles beat Clemens 10-3!

Yup. After Clemens got hit in his pitching hand with a batted ball.

Its one game.

I'm more concerned as to why Torre would bat Soriano leadoff and Ventura fifth.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yes, my Reds/Cubs comments turn out to be a bit off. :b I can't believe Alou is hurt again, before the season even starts! He has had two injuries this spring -- he may be even more fragile than his predecessor, Rondell White.

By the way, what happened to Pedro? Was it just a bad outing or is he going to say his arm still hurts?

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Yes, my Reds/Cubs comments turn out to be a bit off.
Don't take it too hard, Brian. I would have never guessed either. Alou may be hurt now, but when he comes back, the Cubs have one fearsome lineup. If my Reds can't win, I'm pulling for the cubbies. They are long overdue.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Just saw Bonds hit his first HR of the year. Off Kevin Brown. Opposite field. He's amazing.

Then Benito Santiago threw out someone at second from his knees. Also amazing. Isn't Santiago about 400 years old?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
By the way, what happened to Pedro? Was it just a bad outing or is he going to say his arm still hurts?
Prediction: Pedro is still hurting and will never be the same. He's burned himself out. Runs in the family. The same thing happened to his brother.

Prediction #2: Ken Griffey will have a HUGE year.

Prediction #3: Yankee haters will bask in April. Cry in October.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Bonds just hit #2 into the 2nd deck (10 times in 40 years!)

I guess he is on pace to hit 324 this years....

Da Bums losing 9 to 2

Go Giantz!!!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Prediction #3: Yankee haters will bask in April. Cry in October.
Correlation to this predition:
George Steinbrenner will sign Barry Bonds to the Yankees for $1 Bajillion dollars in August.
He will also buy the Montreal Expos and Florida Marlins, pick 'em clean of all their talent and throw them to the wolves ('da Commish). :D

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Prediction: Pedro is still hurting and will never be the same. He's burned himself out. Runs in the family. The same thing happened to his brother.
I have a bad feeling that you are correct on this. It's not just the results of his opening day start, But the fact that he just did not seem comfortable on the mound. One gets the feeling the arm is still a little sore and he is holding back. Unless he tries reinvent himself as more of a finesse pitcher and rely less on his velocity, I think he will quickly spiral further downhill and be plagued by more injuries. That said, I don't see Pedro making it past the all-star break before needing season ending surgery.
Even though he is starting the season on the DL. My opinion is that John Burkett will have a better year for the Sox than Pedro.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
My opinion is that John Burkett will have a better year for the Sox than Pedro.
I hope he does, I've liked him ever since he won 20 games for the Giants.

Just read that the Yanks got $100 million for cable rights instead of the 40 mill they got last year....so you are probably right about what they will do

Why don't they just buy the damn league?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: :D :star: :star: :emoji_thumbsup: :D
Go Phillies!
I love the start of a new season! Hope it's a good one!
(And good luck to all the HTF Fantasy League owners as well!)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Uh...can I revise my prediction for the number of home runs Bonds will hit this year? It looks as if 57 is gonna be a bit low! Maybe reverse that ...75. Could he reach the 80's? The man is in another league entirely. He needs to be called up to the next level...maybe the Alien League...Bonds is not human.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks