What's new

Nowhere Man coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm watching these in order like I did 10 years ago when this show was on UPN. I haven't seen the deleted scenes yet, but if they're on the ninth / last disc as one would expect, it will be a few weeks before I get through all of the episodes. :)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I noticed this on episode 3, "The Incredible Derek" as I watched it yesterday (episode 2 was fine). The entire opening, with the narration and black & white stills of the pilot, has, what I'd call, digital "snow" - the picture has white specks all over it. As mentioned, the moment the episode faded into the actual episode and switched to color, this digital "snow" went away. I'm sure there's a technical term for this phenomenon, and hopefully it's only limited to just that one episode.

Harry

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The white specks that appear on the photographs preceding the start of the episode are so minor, I didn't even notice them when I watched that one yesterday, but now that I checked again you're right.

"The Incredible Derek", by the way, was easily one of the worst episodes. A psychic boy who when having a vision speaks in another person's voice??? Too fantastic for this kind of show!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I found the vocalisations he was making to be within the normal range of his speaking voice, and they didn't sound identical to the flashbacks that Tom Veil was having, so that made it a bit more believable for me.

That episode will always be a bit special to this TIME TUNNEL fan, since it was directed by James Darren.

Harry

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Maybe behind the scenes, the boy's voice was electronically altered but in the fictional context of the show he wasn't using any device that would cause him to speak that way.

If this was a horror or fantasy show I would accept that.

There was another Nowhere Man episode -- the one with Dean Stockwell as a 30 year yet of having lost his identity. I'm looking foward to see that again once I get to that disc, but Tom going through files in a building, acquiring his, and having that file and the entire building disappear as he escapes was WAY over the top. Besides, they already did the more believeable virtual reality plot early on.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I planned to get this, but I see there are no English subtitles or Closed Captions. That's a pretty low rent thing to do in this day and age.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, if your situation requires the cc/subs, then I can completely understand why you would have to pass this up.

I have to wonder what's going on with everyone else, though. I count 6 people on this forum who sound like they bought it. Not too many at all have marked this set at TVShowsOnDVD as something they own. I understand that sales on this title are horribly, totally stupidly low. What's the deal? Why isn't anyone buying this?

I *do* recognize that it was released on the same day as Twilight Zone Definitive Season 5, and that both of these Image titles are said to be damn near impossible to find in stores. So if you want it, you have to get it online. As I write this, I see that Amazon is currently ranking this title #360 in DVDs, which is a lot better than it was. About a week ago it was one of DVDEmpire's featured releases, so hopefully that helped as well.

I just always find it astonishing when I see such pre-release acclaimation for a release, and then it comes out and all the support seems to just dry up. What's the deal?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've seen both in Best Buy and Fry's Electronics stores here in southern California, although they don't have but a few in stock at any given time (typical of their copies of Twilight Zone, but the Definitive 5th season is still a new DVD release so give them time).

Best Buy has that Twilight Zone for $87, but they will price match Fry's at $65. :emoji_thumbsup:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the set and am enjoying it tremendously. I do have it listed as owned over at TvShowsonDVD. I am just so thankful it is available. The supplementary features are very interesting, especially the "extended" scenes.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

LCD22

Screenwriter
That's surprising.

How is "SeaQuest" doing? I'm just curious.

Sorry about that.

EmmaAU

Agent
I plan to buy "Nowhere Man" but I"m waiting for DDD's next 20% off sale. I try not to pay over $30 for season sets. I'm still happy about getting seasons 2 & 3 of "24" for $19.99 each during the holiday season

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Well, one reason is that BestBuy, in their infinite wisdon [sarcasm] has priced it at $52. Why, I have no idea, but it would be the biggest 'foot traffic' retailer and since the MSRP is $49 and can be had in the low 30's everywhere else isn't helping the sales at all...

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I got mine at Best Buy for $32.25 ($35 with sales tax). They price matched what Deep Discount DVD sells it for online. All you have to do is print it out and bring that listing to a Best Buy store! :):emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, whoa...waitasec. This goes off-topic from Nowhere Man, but I HAVE to ask!!!

Jeff, is that a brand-new pricematch policy at Best Buy? I have had trouble getting my local BB store even to price-match their own BestBuy.com online prices, and THAT is in their policy! But it was made VERY clear to me at the time that they would never, EVER match an online price from an e-tailer like Amazon, and I'm sure DDD isn't even on the radar scope with them. Are you sure it isn't your local store (or even just the person you encountered that day) going against the grain of BB's actual rules? Because a quick glance at BB's in-store price-match policy still says "bring in proof of a local retail competitor's price", and defines "local retail competitor" as "A retail store located in the same market area as your local Best Buy store." So did something *just* change and the wording at their site hasn't been updated yet? If so, how would you find that out?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I saved money doing it that way in at least 3 Best Buy stores in southern CA, David. Two in San Diego and one in San Marcos. Only one of the sales guys asked for a printout as proof.

A fourth Best Buy store I used to live near in Carlsbad / Oceanside, CA once price matched something just taking my word for it!! However, those DVD purchases were just for major franchise stores (such as Walmart, Fry's Electronics, or Circuit City). That particular store usually gets on the phone to their competitors to verify my claim, so Oceanside doesn't count. :)

It all depends on who you deal with. When I got that Nowhere Man special in the Mira Mesa (San Diego) store, some kid working the Customer Service desk there wasn't sure. I informed him San Marcos told me about the printout days earlier and that DeepDiscount DVD would be acceptable. He checked with his supervisor and she OK-d it without phoning the other store. I saved money, but they wanted to keep the printout as proof, so I gave it to them after making my purchase.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The Mission Valley Best Buy store (also in San Diego) also allows you to present them a printout of an online competitor's price. They will match that one too.

I'm not sure if Fry's will do that now that they have recently instituted a price match policy of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks