What's new

Nowhere Man coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The cover art displayed above are both fine with me, but somehow I don't expect either one will be used for the release.

John*D

Second Unit
Great News!!!

IMAG ENT has lowered the SRP on this set to $49.99 (originally $69.99). Of course this means that the actual price in stores/online is going to be even lower.

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=36186

At the time of my posting this, DVDempire is the only one with the new lower SRP taken into account.

$31.61

http://dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.as...item_id=747093

:star: I'm sure AMAZON, DDD, and others will be lowering their prices once the word gets out to all retailers.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Other current preorder pricing:

- Deep Discount DVD: $33.25
- Overstock.com: $34.24
- Amazon.com: $34.99
- Target: $34.99
- Circuit City: $39.99
- Best Buy: $51.99 :thumbsdown:

Fortunately, I have some duplicate wedding gifts to return at Target. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeHAP

Auditioning
So who has picked this up already? What are your thoughts/opinions on the a/v quality, special features, etc. It's been 10 years since I've seen this and have held a grudge against UPN for so stupidly cancelling this series. Has it held up well after all this time?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I got NOWHERE MAN last evening, and have only had a chance to watch the extended pilot episode and a couple of video extras on disc one. But I'll be happy to comment on what I've seen so far.

Packaging:
Outer glossy case contains an inner glossy 'book' where the plastic pages house the DVDs. Each flip-over clear 'page' houses two discs, one on each side, except for the final one, which of course, only has one disc. A helpful insert is included which details the episodes found on which disc, a brief description of the episode, and what extras can be found with which episodes. Cover art, is of course the "corrected one", as detailed above. I like the packaging - the discs aren't in those awful overlapping holders, so that's a plus - and it's got an insert, to boot! I would have preferred slim cases, but this is very good.
Packaging, ****1/2 (out of five)

Video Quality:
I viewed the extended pilot episode (66 minutes, from an aired 90 minute time slot) on my Sony 55" WEGA HDTV, and noticed a few anomalies, but nothing too distracting. The DVDs appear to be mastered from the video masters as opposed to film, thus these can best be described as Standard Definition quality. I've seen another comment online that compares these to the '80s TWILIGHT ZONE episode mastering. I'd say these are a notch above those, with a few distractions here and there. For example, Tom Veil uses a taxicab a few times to get around in the pilot, and one of them has a checkered stripe that did a bit of aliasing on my TV. Personally, having seen the online comment that the video quality was like THE TWILIGHT ZONE ('80s), I was actually pleasantly surprised to find it better than that. So it's probably one of those cases of: "expect the worst" and be happy it's better than that, situations. Proper OAR of 1.33:1 is maintained.
Video, **** (out of five) (maybe *** 1/2)

Audio quality:
This series always had terrific sound even back on stereo TVs, and it shines in the DVD mastering. It's only Dolby Surround 2 channel, but fed through my surround system using Pro-Logic, it was quite a treat. People might remember that 'breaking glass' sound that always seems to occur around Tom Veil when something important is about to happen. Those sounds are quite effective here, even in the two-channel mastering. Dialog is clear and well-recorded.
Audio, **** (out of five)

Extras:
I count nine episodes having Audio Commentary by the powers that be - either Lawrence Hertzog, Bruce Greenwood, or various other crew like writers. Many episodes have "Episodic Promos" included, and there are network promos, and various episode-specific video acommentaries scattered throughout. The one I watched in relation to the pilot, had Lawrence Hertzog, Bruce Greenwood, and producer Peter Dunne watching and commenting on specific scenes, shown on a split screen with occasional full-screen zooms for details. I've not yet watched any of the extras on the final disc, which include a featurette of a dialog between series creator Lawrence Hertzog and former UPN executive Mike Sullivan regarding creative freedom from the network, and an attempt at understanding why a critically acclaimed series couldn't continue.
Extras, ****1/2 (out of five)

All of the above is, of course, my own humble opinions, and should be taken as such, and keep in mind I've only actually viewed one full episode. Other viewers may see and hear things differently, but I'll stand by my early impressions and recommend this set to anyone who appreciates great television. The series isn't even too dated yet, with people using cell phones, ATMs, and palmtop computers, it holds up well here in the early 21st century.

Harry
...in his humble attempt at a review, online...

MikeHAP

Auditioning
Thanks so much Harry! The set sounds great and I appreciate hearing your first impressions. Hopefully I can make it up to the store tonight and grab a copy. I'm really excited to this series again.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I saw the same thing with the taxicab. I also saw some aliasing in other places too. One thing though, in episode 2, in the opening narration there was snow (I guess that's what you call it). Once the narration/intro is over, it goes away. It was a bit distracting.

I got the DVD in the mail yesterday, so I watched all of disc 1, except for the easter egg. I absolutely love the cover art (especially the picture of "Hidden Agenda").

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm still on the fence about the video quality. On the one hand, the cinematography is generally gorgeous, and as Chris Cook mentioned, there are some places where you'll know you're watching a DVD. This morning I thought more about how it compares to that '80s TWILIGHT ZONE set, and I think I'd give that set a 3 stars for video quality. Going up a notch on this one might produce a 3 1/2 star rating. It's so subjective, and likely depends a lot on your own equipment.

I'll be interested to hear what others think as they acquire and view NOWHERE MAN.

On the matter of purchasing it, I did what I didn't really want to do - buy it at Best Buy, as they were the only place around here that I was reasonably sure would have it. Their price was $2 higher than list, but I had $14 left on a gift card, so I used that to bring the price down to "normal". I just couldn't wait any longer!

Harry

Cherie

Auditioning
Hello everyone! Great to chat with other Nowhere Man fans! I just ordered the DVD set (next day shipping) I can't WAIT! I thought I was the only person in the world disappointed by UPN's cancellation of this wonderful show!

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
God love you for going out of business, Media Play. Despite them telling me that they would not be receiving any more new releases, I found a copy of Nowhere Man for $26 after the 40% discount today.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That sounds interesting: A VIDEO commentary with split screen between the cast & crew alongside the episode itself. These producers would later do that occasionally with the typically full-screen La Femme Nikita series, and frequently in every episode
of 24 :)

OK, where is Media Play? I want to get this set for $26, and regular Priority Mail shipping is just fine!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Thanks, Dave, but it won't do me any good. I'm in San Diego and the closest Media Play store to me is up north near San Francisco. I'm not driving a few hours just to buy a DVD set for half price. The cost to go up there negates the savings. :) That's the same company that owns Suncoast and Sam Goody stores (plenty of those in southern California), and except for used discs all new stuff there sells retail. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to order it for $31.90 online from Deep Discount DVD. I just hope they keep it at that price into the new year, because I can't order Nowhere Man till next week.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Nice set. The PQ is decent, although those who have the "other way" of watching these episodes from the past(he says, complying with the rules) might be surprised to see that it's not much better than what is offered by the "other way".

Is it too much to hope that there will be widespread interest in this DVD, which could give us a TV movie to close it all out?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Chris - when one is disenfranchised = such things are good to know.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Yes, but you can't pass up this set. Lots of extras to see, and important to show support for this release. Especially those who have benefitted from the, uh, "other" way of seeing the show. Which nonethelesss still has a very special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks