What's new

No sub on CDs? (1 Viewer)

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer 563A DVD player hooked into my Onkyo SR601 receiver with digital coax. My sub goes right to the receiver and the component video cables direct to the RPTV input 1.
Didn't really notice it at first but I set everything up with my S&V cal disc and all seemed well. I do about 80/20 movies/music. When I played any CD I don't have any sound from the sub. Setup always worked OK and great with any DVD but not CDs. I went through the menus and setups on both the receiver and the DVD player but I'm stumped???

Any help?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Not familar with the rec'r but some have both choices for movies and music (where it is engaged for movies but not for music - manual should explain it) or different volume controls for movies and music. It sounds like you used a disc vs. using the level controls in the rec'r set-up menus. Have you tried using the set-up in the rec'r vs. the S&V disc in conjunction with rec'r manual?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you have your mains set to large and the only signal the sub gets is from the LFE track on DD and DTS tracks. You may want to set your mains to small that wall all bass below the crossover point (probably 80hz) will be sent to the sub no matter what the source is.

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
I did use the rcvr set up but it doesn't have a DVD/music choice. I do have small selected on the rcvr and DVD menu, and the cross over set at 60 hz.
I found with the test disc in the DVD player I can adjust all my levels (on the rcvr) but when I use test tones generated by the rcvr alone I get NO sound from the sub.
I've gone through all kinds of menus on the rcvr and the DVD using both manuals with no luck. I guess I'm missing something.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about your set up but it may have something to do with only having the digital co-ax hooked up. I think, but can't be sure, that if your receiver gets it's signal from the digital co-ax, it's looking for the 5:1 digital dobly (AC3) mix. Since a music CD is missing the :1 signal for the sub, nothings comes out. Have you tried to also connect the RCA composite out (analog) from the DVD/CD player to the receiver and then select that input for CD's? Like someone posted earlier, it's the reason why most receiver have a "Musc" selection option. So that the sub output is taken from the two front channels rather than from a discrete source.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The DVD player will also normally have options on what is output as well via the digital connection (e.g. PCM, Bitstream). The speaker set-up in the DVD player is normally for the analog outs of the player. With the digital output to the receiver, the definitions of what speakers are set up and the level controls and distance settings. An old Onkyo I used to have in the bedroom system has setting for system A and system B. I have not seen menus on any of the newer ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks