What's new

new guy at the very beginning (1 Viewer)

josh platt

Auditioning
just became a member and need advice. lots. i have $5000 to buy everything including stand and cables. need speakers, not necessarily surround , tv , dvd that will play cd's , receiver and whatever else. moving into apt., but nice size room for system. i am open to any advice one is willing to take the time to give me. thanks. josh

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Ever thought about a projector? There are several good ones under $2000. I have the Infocus X1. If you were planning to budget a tv for your setup, the X1 is widely available for $999 at BB and online.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Josh, you're in an enviable position with that budget. But I echo Rick's suggestion. Read through the boards, soak up some knowledge, and ask specific sorts of questions about specific components. Another excellent resource is Vince Maskeeper's Home Theater FAQ anthology, permanently posted at the top of this page. That's a far better route than simply asking the membership to de facto assemble a system for you. Your needs may not be the same needs as other members. And you'll be happier with a system you end up putting together (with our help, of course!). JB

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
  1. DEFINITELY read the Beginner's FAQ. that alone will probably answer many of your questions
  2. do a search in each appropriate forum. receivers, speakers, etc.
  3. if you don't find threads....you didn't search right. :) seriously though, these questions have been asked many times....but if you don't find any threads, post a question (again, in each specific forum). be sure to give a good picture of what you're looking for and what your budget is.[/list=1]

once you have a good baseline idea, then come back and give us your completed system. at that point, it will be much easier for us to "fine-tune"...if that appears necessary. but, after doing all this work, i'm sure you'll have a very nice setup from the get-go!

i will say this too...you're doing the right thing by doing all the research first. :emoji_thumbsup: i'm sure you'll be much happier with your purchase when all is said and done.

5k is a decent budget...but since you'll also need a tv (are you getting widescreen?), then you're right about where you want to be. you mentioned "not necessarily surround" for your receiver. that is a big factor. if you only want two-channel, then you'll save quite a bit on speakers. however, there is *no way* you'll be able to enjoy true home-theater with just two speakers. so, be sure to decide what you're trying to accomplish with this setup and where you want the emphasis to be: whether it be two-channel or a 5.1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks