What's new

New details on Paramount’s forthcoming ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST DVD. (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
two things stick out here

1) Thanks Martin for the info regarding the restored track info

2) Mark, would you mind telling me why the longer Italian cut is so much better.

cheers

Oscar

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea, since Paramount won't release the Italian cut where I can see it. But seeing how it's an Italian movie from an Italian director and six minutes longer (as opposed to being cut in Italy for censorship reasons), I'm guessing that it more closely reflects Leone's intentions.

DaveRU

Stunt Coordinator
Actually my Italian R2 PAL version runs 170mins (approx 177mins @ 24fps)
So there's 12mins of footage not included on the Paramount DVD :frowning:

But I'm still getting this new DVD for the extras.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
I'd like to know more about these different versions. This is what is on IMDB:

The Italian DVD as an extended version of the movie. Running time 171 mns (standard version use in other countries running time are between 155 to 165 mns). The principal differences are the opening sequence, who is much longer (look at Jack Elem game with the fly), and the closing too (the panoramic shoot is complete before the titles C'ERA UNA VOLTA IL WEST appear). Another missing scene, who as disepear from all the European edit, is in it: after the station scene, Harmonica take his arm because he has a terrible pain in it, and return on his horse.
Is the talian DVD version the original version only shown in theaters in Italy, or is just an extended version?

Anyone know the full story?

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Italian DVD. First off, it's all brown and ugly compared to the US long version laserdisc. The extra footage isn't that much. The Elam stuff at the beginning is NOT longer as I recall, but the final shot is quite a bit longer. I think there may be one or two more slight additions - it didn't add up to much, though, although it's always nice to see extra Leone footage. That super long version was never shown in the US and therefore Paramount may not have the rights to that footage. I do know that things of that nature rarely occur to people who have been spoiled into thinking they have the right to do anything they want.

So, fine, don't buy it. Your loss.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Couldn't it also be that there isn't any English dialogue recorded for the additional Italian scenes?

Thanks for the info, Mr Blythe.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Apparently there are many different versions of this film.
The one which premiered in Sweden in 1969 was 162m16s
and the one which was shown in the UK in the 80s was
167m6s. I have only seen it on television and video
but I have no idea which lengths they had.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Agh! Yes! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm eagerly awaiting this one. It's such a great film. Sounds like a great transfer, fine 5.1 and excellent extras. But I think I want the original mono, so I may have to cancel my region 2 edition and go for the region 1 - which is cheaper anyway.

Thanks, Mark. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
well done in spotting the review.

Cannot wait to finally own this on dvd besides Once Upon A Time in America

:emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This is one DVD where I definately do not want a bilingual cover - the cover art is just to classy for me to let some French jive spoil it! No offense, of course! :D

Thanks, though, Mark. :)

Gordy

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the first "review" was right here at HTF by me. Do you people just not look at threads entitled ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST? I got it from France two weeks ago and it's a magnificent disc in every way - transfer, sound, extras and packaging. There is no disappointment in any aspect of this magnificent release. You may, of course, search for my original comments which are much lengthier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks