What's new

Need Help / Opinions (1 Viewer)

I am looking to buy a new television. I currently have a 32" Sony direct view set that's about 6 years old. I am thinking I want to go with a rear projection 16X9 model. I have a budget of around $2000. I live in an apartment and will be sitting probably anywhere from 8-12 feet away. I will be watching satellite (directv) about 80% of them time (about 75% will be sports), and the rest of the time will be watching movies on dvd. I rarely watch a movie that's not on dvd and only watch 3-4 tv shows regularly. So primarily I want something that will be good for watching sports (maily football, basketball, baseball). Thanks for any help...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
AT 8-12 ft. and your price range, a 50-57" inch would be ideal (approx. 1599-2399). Look at the Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Pioneer and Hitachi(s). Each has it's fans at the HTF and each has it's pluses and minuses. I am partial to Toshiba's because
1) they don't lock in full for progressive or HD
2) the have the most varied stretch/zoom modes
3) the internet tweak sites have vast amounts of info on getting a better picture from these sets
4) good/great picture out of the box, superb with a little effort
5) Accepts 1080i and 720p input (converts 720p to 1080i)
6) one negative - upconverts 480p to 540p

Bill Bird

Auditioning
My 50hdx82 Tosh is great. Had it two months now, no problems other than the "hiss" problem from the speakers, which was fixed the other day. I'm going to have a ISF calibration done soon as well. Good set, reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks