1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help / Opinions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brad Martin, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Brad Martin

Brad Martin Member

I am looking to buy a new television. I currently have a 32" Sony direct view set that's about 6 years old. I am thinking I want to go with a rear projection 16X9 model. I have a budget of around $2000. I live in an apartment and will be sitting probably anywhere from 8-12 feet away. I will be watching satellite (directv) about 80% of them time (about 75% will be sports), and the rest of the time will be watching movies on dvd. I rarely watch a movie that's not on dvd and only watch 3-4 tv shows regularly. So primarily I want something that will be good for watching sports (maily football, basketball, baseball). Thanks for any help...

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

AT 8-12 ft. and your price range, a 50-57" inch would be ideal (approx. 1599-2399). Look at the Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Pioneer and Hitachi(s). Each has it's fans at the HTF and each has it's pluses and minuses. I am partial to Toshiba's because
    1) they don't lock in full for progressive or HD
    2) the have the most varied stretch/zoom modes
    3) the internet tweak sites have vast amounts of info on getting a better picture from these sets
    4) good/great picture out of the box, superb with a little effort
    5) Accepts 1080i and 720p input (converts 720p to 1080i)
    6) one negative - upconverts 480p to 540p

3. Shana

Shana Well-Known Member

i love my toshiba 57H82

4. Grant

Grant Active Member

5. Bill Bird

Bill Bird Member

My 50hdx82 Tosh is great. Had it two months now, no problems other than the "hiss" problem from the speakers, which was fixed the other day. I'm going to have a ISF calibration done soon as well. Good set, reasonable price.