What's new
World Wide Stereo

My Onkyo 9400 THX system (1 Viewer)

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
so i had this beast for awhile thanks to a recommendation on this site. he/she has helped me threw alot setting this up. so i think its a great system but when you put it to THX the sound is low and everything mostly comes through the Center speaker...anyways. i would like to start learning to mess with the manual equalizer thats in the system or if anyone has any settings that are perfect. please let me know. thanks.so far i set all the speakers to be at 85dbs i have them connected with 14 gauge speaker wire. from monoprice.com any help or suggest and needed upgrades would be appreciated thanks alot.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have no idea why THX mode sounds low and centered. I don't know of anyone who uses THX mode anyway. Most use Dolby ProLogic or DTS Neo:6 if they use anything at all. I (or anyone else) can't set an eq over the internet :) . In fact, you should use a Real Time Analyzer to measure your room first so you know what frequencies to adjust and by how much (don't tell anyone but I don't use one either :blush: ). Best thing to do is start with the receivers automatic setup and room eq and then make small adjustments to suit your taste. Each room is different and everyone likes a little bit of a different sound. I'm sure this wasn't much help but there's really not much we can do from here...or there...or wherever we are. Make sure you have all your source components (bluray player, cable box, etc.) setup properly and you've selected the best audio option on the dvd/br disc.

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
Okie Dokie and now i remember it was you Gene thanks. ill go ahead and try those things and see what happens neo 6 is good. thx sucks...

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
okay so THX still sucks lol, i like neo but i found out its more for if i put the back rear speakers in high front im not doing that not yet...unless i really have to. for some reason i left the subwoofer on the thx mark but i dont feel the bass...so im going to put it half and half...umm and just leave it at dolby digital 5.1 on my xbox 360. also on my ps3 instead of linear pcm i put bitstream with that it shows its doing the DTS HD master audio and crap but with linear PCM it just shows all the time multichannel. so im leaving it bitstream. i hope thats the right chooice.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by DarkWilSin
i hope thats the right chooice.
If that's how it sounds best to you, then it's the right choice.
My experience has always been that the auto calibration sets the subwoofer a bit low for my taste, so I just turned it up to where I liked it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
DarkWilSin said:
I've never owned a PS3 but from reading about them over the years they seem to work just a little bit differently then a regular bluray player so I hope I'm not posting anything that's not correct. With bluray players, when LPCM is selected the player decodes the TrueHD and DTS MA which is why the receiver shows Multi Channel. It didn't decode anything. When the player is set to Bitstream it sends the core audio to the receiver which decodes the signals. Then it shows DTS-MA etc. The sound quality should be the same but people like seeing TrueHD and Master Audio on their receivers display. "...i like neo but i found out its more for if i put the back rear speakers in high front im not doing that not yet...unless i really have to." Sorry my friend but I have no idea what you're saying here. :confused: . I never cared for the THX surround modes either. I usually use DTS Neo:6 because it just sounds more descreet to me. But I usually have to bump up the surround channels a bit when using it. Dolby ProLogic is more active in the surround channels but it sounds a little more "fake" to me then Neo:6. Have fun!

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
so yes i was wondering if anyone can walk me through the manual equalizer any PRO equalizer techs in here? thanks. i put 2 pictures to help you understand more of what i am talking about.

IMG_20130619_051508.jpg

IMG_20130619_051409.jpg

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've been scewing around with eq's for years, usually doing more harm then good :P . But sometimes I get lucky and get close to something listenable.

Is the Audyssey automatic eq not "doing it" for you? The correct answer is you're supposed to use a Real Time Analyzer to help make the adjustments. I run the MCACC on my Pioneer and then make minor adjustments to suit my taste. Advanced MCACC allows you to copy the results from one preset to another (there are 6 of them) via the remote. then, if I screw it up (which I usually do) I can copy it again and start all over. Audyssey doesn't allow that so you would have to copy the Audyssey results "by hand" first to the manual eq. Or you could start from scratch but again, that's not the way it should be done.

What are you trying to accomplish?

DarkWilSin

Agent
Real Name
Wilson Mercado Lopez
Theater Quality as much as possible. all my damn movies audio sounds low and the voice is not loud enough. so the mic really isnt doing that well. its night time now so i am going to do the aud now no sound no nothing. its either that or...i am going to remove alot of crap from my room. ALOT! and position everything the hard way. esp this damn queen size bed. but yeah. also im going to go past the THX level on the subwoofer and put it in the middle. im tired of not hearing strong bass or the great crystal clear of creaking wood about to break or wood cracking from a roaring fire...its just...idk gene...i wish i was a pro at doing all this man or knew someone that would come and just handle this situation in my room like a BOSS. anyways...it only has 3 areas i could do it for where others have like 6 seat 1 2 3 4 5 6 this system only does 3... idk what to do man. im about to look up classes and learn all this myself so i can help others in their homes cause MAN is this annoying. lol. dont mean to rant and b**** but this is tough i want to get the BEST out of this system its a freakin Onkyo 9400. lol its like i should of went the PC way and custom built the sound system but i thought this was enough I KNOW IM DOING something wrong. im about to take pics of my entire room and give you exact measurements.

also would like to throw in i watched pirates of the caribbean 1 2 3 and about to watch 4. and i also got The last of us a great game that supports 5.1 and 7.1 pcm. and it sounds like nothing there is no big difference from dolby to this...thats how i know im doing something wrong and same goes for the movies i cant tell the difference between dolby digital 5.1 to uncompressed 5.1 so i have to be doing something wrong. anyone please help me.

also im on AIM Nemesis1000ad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks