What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Tooncy said:
I haven't seen the Sony black and white Bewitched (I have the colorized sets). But if the black and white sets have the 1966 opening titles like the colorized does, then they almost definitely just turned the color off to create them. The 1966 titles wouldn't have been black and white.
I have the first season in b&w from Sony and it does have the 1966 titles.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Any word on more Facts of Life rereleases? I never got around to buying the original sets but I've been pleased so far with season one despite 13 episodes being on a single disc.

If I end up having to buy the original season 1/2 set just to get season 2, it rather defeats the point. So I hope at least that one ends up being rereleased.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I wonder if the episode "Overachieving" on the new Facts of Life set is still the edited version. I emailed Mill Creek about it before the release and they said they would look into it, but I never heard back.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
moviebuff75 said:
I wonder if the episode "Overachieving" on the new Facts of Life set is still the edited version. I emailed Mill Creek about it before the release and they said they would look into it, but I never heard back.
Would the run time tell you what you want to know? I can provide that to see if it matches what's on the original Sony set.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wish they would do more blurays. They did two seasons of That 70s Show then stopped. Guess it didn't work out.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I don't think That 70s Show is the kind of thing that people would be looking for on bluray. This is the first I've heard of it.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'm surprised to hear that they re-released the Facts of Life. I don't remember that series being announced. Hope they release season 1 of Here Comes the Brides.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My DVD's run time for this episode is close to that. I get 23:45 for the season 1 Facts of Life episode 'Overachieving'. As a comparison, the previous episode times out at 24:19 ('I.Q.') and the following at 24:18 ('Emily Dickinson').

On the basis of that, I think there's a strong chance it's the same cut version as the original.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
rmw650 said:
Seasons One and Two are out, BUT Season One is costing a fortune right now, but Season Two is decently priced...
Right. I should clarify myself. I meant to say I hope that millcreek re-releases season 1 of HCTB because the original release is OOP and going for outrageous prices!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Episode 3 titled 'The Return of Mr. Garrett' on season 1 of The Facts of Life set runs even shorter than Overachieving did.

Was that episode known to be cut?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've never seen any version of the first episode of The Facts of Life (the subject matter should have been a big deal for a youth-oriented series in 1979) that even crossed the 23 minute mark, and I've seen the syndicated version, the Nick at Nite version that had different cuts, the Columbia House version, and the DVD. Without a copy of the original network broadcast on hand (I do have a copy of a December 1982 NBC daytime rebroadcast, and it's the same as the syndicated version; the scene with Arnold Jackson getting kissed and hugged by all the girls was shortened), I don't know how they got away with being so short.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Perhaps there was a promo during part of that night's time slot for another show? I think that's the explanation given for a particular episode of Get Smart on the DVD's that ran short compared to other episodes from the same season.

I'll have to check what it is on the Mill Creek set. I watched the first episode a few nights ago before I started paying attention to their length.

Edit: On this set, episode 1 clocks out at 23 minutes exactly.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The fourth and fifth batch of releases have been announced:

May 20

The Facts of Life- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2
Gidget- Complete Series
Good Times- Season 3, Season 4, Seasons 3&4
The Jeffersons- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2

June 24

Bewitched- Season 3, Season 4, Seasons 3&4
The Larry Sanders Show- Seasons 1&2
The Partridge Family- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2
Party of Five- Season 1

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The sixth and seventh batch of releases have been announced:

July 15

Diff'rent Strokes- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2

August 5

Mad About You- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2
The Nanny- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The eighth batch of releases has been announced:

September 2

Benson- Season 1, Season 2*, Seasons 1&2
Soap- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2
What's Happening!!- Season 1, Season 2, Seasons 1&2

September 16

Tour of Duty- Season 1

*- New to DVD

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The second season of Benson was released by Sony as a MOD title several years ago. Still nice to see it back, but the Mill Creek deal has yet to yield any new titles or seasons.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
I've never seen any version of the first episode of The Facts of Life (the subject matter should have been a big deal for a youth-oriented series in 1979) that even crossed the 23 minute mark, and I've seen the syndicated version, the Nick at Nite version that had different cuts, the Columbia House version, and the DVD. Without a copy of the original network broadcast on hand (I do have a copy of a December 1982 NBC daytime rebroadcast, and it's the same as the syndicated version; the scene with Arnold Jackson getting kissed and hugged by all the girls was shortened), I don't know how they got away with being so short.
If the subject matter of the episode was, as you say, "a big deal" (I've not seen it since I was a child, so don't recall), perhaps one of the cast members did a brief PSA at the end of the episode (as was often the case with "a very special episode" of these types of shows back in the day) which doesn't happen to be on the original masters (i.e. maybe it was played-in from a separate tape on the night of broadcast).

That, or as others have said, maybe there was a Diffrent Strokes (or some other) promo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks