What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Tooncy

Second Unit
They had all of them too. Even Starsky and Hutch, which wasn't supposed to be released until like March or April.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tooncy

Second Unit
The Wal-Mart I went to, it was one of those cardboard stand-up displays in the main aisle just on the outside of the electronics department.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
My local Walmart didn't have any of the latest Sony/Mill Creek titles, either. :(
Looks like they haven't re-stocked their DVD section in weeks because there were a lot of empty slots on their shelves.
However, they did have a bin full of older Mill Creek titles like Roseanne, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and That 70s Show for $3 bucks each! I picked up Roseanne, and 2 movie compliations sets.
I then went to K-mart, and saw 2 copies of Married with Children season one in the $5 bin, but no Bewitched.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
my wal-mart did have the first season of starsky and hutch from mill creek. i have been watching my hunter complete series set from mill creek. why they would want to cram six episodes on one disc is beyond me.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
gtrekker said:
I've pre-ordered Charlie's Angels season 1.

According to Amazon, there will be 4 discs with episodes spread out as follows:
Disc 1:
Pilot
Hellride
The Mexican Connection
Night Of The Strangler
Angels In Chains
Target: Angels
Disc 2:
The Killing Kind
To Kill An Angel
Lady Killer
Bullseye
Consenting Adults
Disc 3:
The Seance
Angels On Wheels
Angel Trap
The Big Tap Out
Angels On A String
Dirty Business
Disc 4:
The Vegas Connection
Terror On Ward One
Dancing In The Dark
I Will Be Remembered
Angels At Sea
Blue Angels
4 discs compared to the previous release which had 5 discs. That set also had an "Angels Forever" featurette which might not have made it to this release.

why they put so many episodes one one disc is beyond me.

Tooncy

Second Unit
Hey it's still a great deal. They couldn't do them so cheaply if they didn't cut corners somewhere.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just returned from the larger of the 2 stores here. All they had was the same assorted titles dump that was in place before Christmas. Even the $9.96 TVonDVD titles in the wire rack were all but gone.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I never really understood the point of what Mill Creek does, Why waste our time with shows that have already been released? If they want to release classic TV, how about something new and not just retreads.

Tooncy

Second Unit
I think their market is people who passed on titles because of the price. Although some of the ones they're rereleasing were liquidated cheap at places like Sam's Club and Half Price Books.

Tooncy

Second Unit
These releases are also space-savers. The seasons 1&2 of Bewitched was less packaging than a single season Sony release.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I never really understood the point of what Mill Creek does, Why waste our time with shows that have already been released?
They release stuff at cheap prices, pretty simple premise?! They cater to the segment of the population that doesn't want to or cannot afford to spend tons of money on DVD releases- an ever growing segment in this economy. Most of the people who buy Mill Creek's TV on DVD stuff would probably fall into the category of 'casual fans', thus they don't care as much about quality as they do about affordability. They are mainly interested in having a copy of shows they like and don't really mind the cheap packaging, lack of special features and the fact that Mill Creek uses as few discs as possible which results in a lower quality release.

Regarding the Sony releases, Sony is no longer interested in releasing classic TV series so when the shows they released went out of print, they decided to sign a deal with Mill Creek to let them re-release the shows at a lower price and give fans another opportunity to purchase these if they didn't do so the first time around. I would be interested to know if these cheap releases from Mill Creek are more profitable then a higher quality, more expensive release from say Shout! Factory?!
If they want to release classic TV, how about something new and not just retreads.
They have released several series that no one has previously released such as Acapulco Heat, Pacific Blue, Hawkeye, Hunter, The Commish and Renegade. The Steven J. Cannell shows did have previous releases but Mill Creek was the first one to release them in their entirety.
it'd be nice if they're able to attain rights from Sony or whomever and release the remaining seasons of said shows
Whose to say that they haven't acquired (or won't in the future) the rights to future seasons of stalled Sony shows?! Mill Creek I have noticed keeps things quite tight to the vest, you don't know what they will release until its actually announced. I think it would make sense for Sony to give them the rights to unreleased seasons especially if no one else is interested in releasing a given show. For example, if they have acquired the rights to My Flying Nun then it should be all 3 seasons not just the first two that Sony released. I think their main focus now is re-releasing the stuff that Sony previously released, that is now out of print. It will be interesting to see what happens if a particular series does not sell well, do they abandon it or if its a stalled show do they move on and release some of the unreleased seasons?!

The best indication of whether they will release any un-released seasons is on whether they release shows where Sony only released the first season such as One Day at a Time & Who's the Boss? Will Mill Creek re-release just that one season or will they release subsequent seasons as well?!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I would buy "Here Comes the Brides" if Mill Creek re-released it because the first set is now out of print and is selling for ridiculous prices right now. I wonder if their staff realizes that it would be a good seller because of that???.
Another Sony series I would buy from Mill Creek is "Family" (the Kristy mcNichol series) if it was for $5 because I just wasn't that interested to spend $20-30 the first time it came out.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Just came back from Target. Picked up Bewitched seasons 1 &2 combo for $7.99. They also had Charlie's Angels, Good Times, and Married with Children.
I already own the Sony sets, but I'm a sucker for this show and the price is right and I wanted a backup. 74 episodes for 8 bucks!
Comes in a standard size DVD amaray case.
The 6 discs are on a hub--no sleeves, so you have to remove them all if you want to get to the last disc.
New menus. New disc artwork with titles on the discs. New artwork on front and back of case.
I watched 2 episodes and so far I'm very happy with the set. Complete 25 min versions.
The picture quality is very good considering how many episodes are on one disc. Better than watching it on Me-Tv or Antenna TV. No on screen bug.
The picture was clear, sharp, and I didn't notice any compression issues like pixelation.
I'm still trying to figure out if these are the same transfers as the Sony release or if they are truly b&w because I heard that Sony just used the colorized version for their b&w sets with the color turned off

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks