What's new

Marcus Welby, MD...... (1 Viewer)

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
That is good news...but I hope the prints are better than the ones they show on RTV. The picture is kind of muddy looking, and the nighttime scenes are really dark. It really takes away from the enjoyment of watching the show.
But since other Shout! sets like Room 222 and Rhoda weren't restored, I'm not getting my hopes to high. I understand that they are at the mercy of what Universal gives them. Also, no syndicated (i.e. cut) episodes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Shoot. I'm happy for all the Welby fans out there, and I will be picking this series up. But I'd be lying if I didn't express a little sadness at not getting Kildare first. That one is the cream of the crop for me, with Ben Casey nipping at its heels. I want that first season of Dr. Kildare so bad I can taste it. But I think I'll have to be content with the beat up print of that fantastic Christmas episode from the 1st Season for a long time yet. Sigh...

Gary "incredibly, Marcus Welby M.D. didn't even have a Christmas episode - at least not that I'm aware of" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
You'll have to wait to get Kildare along with all the rest of the TV series that Warner will be putting out as burn on demand, according to what the people here keep imagining is going to happen.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

You'll have to wait to get Kildare along with all the rest of the TV series that Warner will be putting out as burn on demand, according to what the people here keep imagining is going to happen.

Right. And you know I'm not holding my breath for that one, Neil. I'm assuming you aren't either.

Gary "I'll believe all the pie-in-the-sky thinking about how MOD DVD-Rs will bring vintage TV to us when I see it" O.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The Warner Archive is currently offering OPERATION HEARTBEAT, the pilot for MEDICAL CENTER with Richard Bradford in the Chad Everett part. I recall it as a tv movie, but although it looks like it was intended as a real movie (there's the MGM Lion logo at the beginning and an actual trailer), the potential for the tv series is evident. The cast is terrific: James Daly is in it and so are Kevin McCarthy, Kim Stanley, Shelly Fabbres, Edward G. Robinson, J.D. Cannon, William Windom, Alfred Ryder, Audrey Totter,Robert Emhart. It runs about a 100 minutes.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would think Warner Bros. archive would release the Dr. Kildare movies with Lew Ayres first before the TV series. On the other hand none of the movie series such as Masie, Andy Hardy, or Dr Kildare have been released in the archive. The only movie series released to date in the archive have been shorts such as "Our Gang" and "Joe McDoakes" Based on the price of the Joe McDoakes set I would guess a six disc TV season would list for about $50 before any discounts or coupons. Also Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare were B&W for a part (most?) of their runs. The studios seem to lease out their B&W TV series.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Warner Archive has put out a few TV movies, but so far only one series. Meanwhile we can look forward to Marcus Welby from Shout.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "incredibly, Marcus Welby M.D. didn't even have a Christmas episode - at least not that I'm aware of" O.
There wasn't a Christmas episode per say but in the last season or so there was an episode set at Christmas. Welby was doing some examinations at an orphanage run by nuns and there is a scene at the end where everyone is decorating the Christmas tree.

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
I checked Shout! Factory's site for the news but didn't see anything about it. I really hope this news is true-this show was one of the last of the oldies I've wanted for some time.

Originally Posted by TV_Fan

Well looks like this show will finally be making its DVD debut in May according to Shout! Factory's newsletter.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Originally Posted by redbird ">[/url]

I checked Shout! Factory's site for the news but didn't see anything about it. I really hope this news is true-this show was one of the last of the oldies I've wanted for some time.

[/QUOTE]
It's not yet on their website, it's from the newsletter that was emailed to subscribers. Here is a cut & paste of the Marcus Welby section:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Dr. Regulus concurs, and when a 21 Million Doller Roller Coaster is built, I want to be the first to ride it!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's great that "Welby" is coming. I've been wanting to see that for a long, long time. Dated though it might be, it will for me doubtless be a better choice than "ER." And I don't care how the prints look, just as long as I (and lots of other "Welby" fans) get to see the series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by TV_Fan ...... The popular series—the #1 ranker was ABC’s first hit— .....
Er, Wasn't BATMAN a #1 hit several years before? :)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Charles H

The Warner Archive is currently offering OPERATION HEARTBEAT, the pilot for MEDICAL CENTER with Richard Bradford in the Chad Everett part. I recall it as a tv movie, but although it looks like it was intended as a real movie (there's the MGM Lion logo at the beginning and an actual trailer), the potential for the tv series is evident. The cast is terrific: James Daly is in it and so are Kevin McCarthy, Kim Stanley, Shelly Fabbres, Edward G. Robinson, J.D. Cannon, William Windom, Alfred Ryder, Audrey Totter,Robert Emhart. It runs about a 100 minutes.
I've had an off-air copy of it for at least 20 years. It used to run in syndication (back when TV stations actually aired movies) all of the time under the title U.M.C.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by DeWilson

Er, Wasn't BATMAN a #1 hit several years before? :)
According to my trusty TV bible, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows by Brooks and Marsh, the Thursday night Batman ranked # 5 and the Wednesday night Batman ranked #10 for the 1965-66 season. Batman may have won its nightly time slot, but Bonanza was the #1 top-rated evening series among all programs during the entire season, ranked by audience size.

ABC didn't reach the #1 spot until Marcus Welby during the 1970-71 season.

Prior to that, Bewitched was ABC's highest ranking show, It reached #2 during the 1964-65 season.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

According to my trusty TV bible, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows by Brooks and Marsh, the Thursday night Batman ranked # 5 and the Wednesday night Batman ranked #10 for the 1965-66 season. Batman may have won its nightly time slot, but Bonanza was the #1 top-rated evening series among all programs during the entire season, ranked by audience size.

ABC didn't reach the #1 spot until Marcus Welby during the 1970-71 season.

Prior to that, Bewitched was ABC's highest ranking show, It reached #2 during the 1964-65 season.

ok :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This looks like a good show to collect. Hopefully this means that Trapper John MD will be coming to dvd. This was another good medical show from the 1970s and 1980s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks