What's new

LOST season 2 discussion thread...... (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Here's something I found on another board.

I recently found an interesting natuarlly occuring thoery found in our world that states everyone has a mirror image somewhere in the world. You may have heard of this. Its called Roussau's genetic mirror theory, and I must say it is very interesting. Roussau's genetic mirror theory says that everyone in the world has an exact twin somewhere, however according to the theory you never encounter this person, by laws of probablitly and other natuaral occuring phemnomen. Its the theory that was devised by a French Mathematician named Marseille Roussau in the year 1988. He used a series of numbers to explain his theory. Now I know you're not going to believe this but here goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Let me explain...

The 4 stands for 4 degrees of separation (not 6 or 7 as commonly stated.) Roussau believed that everyone in the world was connected by four different people. So in theory could meet yourself by using four different people connected to you. Example: Your brother's, boss's, neighbor nephew, knows your mirror. Hard to believe, I know but keep reading.

The 8 stands for the eight continent, or the only place in the world where you could meet your mirror. He calculated it to be somewhere in the south pacific. Now we know its not actually as large as the other contintents but its used figurtively because everyone in all 7 continents could meet there mirror on the 8th universal continent.

The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342. Look at the second set "815." Ring any bells? Interesting huh?

The 16 stands for the maximum amount of people that could encounter thier twin all at the same time. Think about the number of main characters.

The 23 is the number of years apart your twin and yourself are. You are not the same age as your twin. By chance and probablity it takes 23 years exactly for the same genes that made you to be connected again to form another you.

The 42 stands for the maximimum number of years your twin and yourself can be alive at the same time. However people do die at diffferent times so thats why everyone isn't dead at 75. For example my twin was born on Sept. 6 2003 b/c i was born on Spet. 6 1980. Now that doesn't mean i will die in the year 2045, I could, but its not set in stone. My twin could die when he is 16, and then the whole thing starts over again.

This is all very complicated and I don't know how well I explained it but the connections with the show are too coinidental to not be real.

Roussau and his team (wife, included) went to the 8th continent. You can figure out how they died and why by the numbers and equations. It also fits with every character. You can predict when they will die. There are others on the island who are twins of the survivors, but have been there 23 years longer.

There is a book Roussau wrote 16 years ago in 1988 when he came up with the theory. Thats where I got it from.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I dont know, he looked pretty unkept and unshowered.

Decent episode.
So is Desmond able to control things on the island from down there?
He told Jack, however many years ago it was, that miracles happen and then his future fiance gets the feeling in her leg back.

Where's Kate?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cool info prentice! i figure they were trying to show a strong magnetic force inside the place ... my thought was a really big-ass motor somewhere (to explain where all the power was coming from).

i loved this ep ... thought it was awesome. lots of good little nuances. good catch on the other accident victim ... i also think it's shannon's dad. and what about poor sayid ... last we see he disappears while chasing that damn dog.

and jack's like to locke (when the gun is being pointed at his head) ... something about, "is this your destiny?". :emoji_thumbsup:

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

I strong magnetic field would explain why boats and planes keep crashing into the island. So far we know of two planes (the flight from Australia and the Drug Runners Plane) and two boats (the "Black Rock" and Danielle's ship) that have crashed into the island.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Man, how much do I love this show!

Another possible wacky theory tying in with Desmond:
http://encyclopedie-en.snyke.com/articles/bernal_sphere.html[/url]

As for the genetic mirror thing, where was that found? I tried Googling for more info, but couldn't find anything. Almost sounds a bit too convenient. Hmm.

Either way, I love the speculation and theorizing this show causes in its fans.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
2 things:

i am very happy that, for once, they showed the viewers something the castaways didn't know at the very beginning of the episode, at that!

prentice, do you think that maybe that's a reason they wanted walt? or maybe why they'll be after aaron later?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay okay... I haven't seen the first season at all... and I decided to watch last night. I watched the recap episode prior and got the gist of what's been happening.. but I know I'm missing a lot of details.

Is this the first time Desmond has shown up in the show?

Some of you believe that Desmond was able to come and go from the "biosphere", explaining his appearance in the flashbacks. But, remember the hatch was buried. It took Locke a few weeks to unearth it.

Locke seems to have a slight grasp of what's going on judging by his reaction to the "smoky" creatures. He said he "looked into the eyes" of the creatures (or something like that) and was confident they weren't harmful.

How did Locke become "unparalyzed"? Was it attributed to the crash?

I found the lottery-winner-guy's story compelling; being locked in a psych-ward with a patient repeating the series of numbers, which happened to be the winning lottery numbers (which brought about a string of bad luck), and happened to be printed on the hatch. Wild.

Just from this one episode, I get a real existential almost quasi-religious vibe to the show. Mostly from Desmond's speech about believing in miracles almost as if he knew what Jack was going through. And, since his patient recovered, he had control over it. His "race around the world" suggests to me he's either hurrying to beat some sort of "anti-Desmond" (the Desmond in the hatch?)... or he's on some sort of crusade (to save the planet, perhaps?).

I'm strictly guessing here, but I've got the feeling the castaways have been "set aside", possibly while some larger plan is going on in the rest of the world.

Now, I'm going off of one episode here... so, please shoot my theories full of holes (and details). :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It was A hatch. It doesn't mean that it was the only way in or out. I mean, how long can one live underground, particularly since where Desmond was, it looked like he had sunlight.

Jason

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I'm not finding anything on this either. Prentice, please post a link to that.

It fits...but suspiciously so. The only sites I can find just using the name Marseille Rouss[e]au, of which I get no results at all without the "e", are not in English.

Loved the opener. I think it would have made a good season ender, but it also would have pissed off the anti-Lost'ers for introducing a new character so late.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Dave...wonderful grasp for your first episode. I agree...rent season 1.

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find anything on Rousseau (sp?) genetic mirror theory on a quick Google search. Here's the only somewhat related link I could find. From a online book store here:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search...rowse=1&full=1

Here's the book synopsis:

Mirror Images: is This a Genetic Link to Spirit? / Aubrey Nye Explores the Look-Alike Phenomena
by Aubrey Nye

You walk into a room and there in front of you is not a ghost, but the actual person that you know is dead. You have just talked to a friend in another country and suddenly they appear, walking down the street. You approach them, calling their name, but they do not recognize you. You see your wife sitting at the bar, talking to another man. You go over to her and she vehemently denies knowing you, showing you her license which is not that of your wife. You are sitting at a bus stop and suddenly see an old friend of yours get off the bus, but they have not aged for 20 years, and when you say their name, they look. The police come knocking at your door to arrest you for a crime you did not commit, and yet there was a witness that will swear it was you. Mirror Images is about researching the look-alike phenomena that has previously only been known through celebrity look-alikes and the doppelganger. Aubrey Nye has discovered that we may really have a double walking around . . . not just similar copies of ourselves. With this experience, some very strange synchronicities are going on that flirt with our definition of the supernatural, and yet they are very, very, real. It is as if there is a natural cloning method already going on within our DNA. The research of this fascinating, unknown phenomena will take you into many areas of the look-alike. Some of these are: The doppelganger, a forecast of death. The Celebrity look-alike and doubles used for actors and politicians. Is there an unknown coding within our DNA? Innocent people being accused of crimes that their look-alike committed. Finding the "right" model type for you; a new dating technique. Knowing how a person will respond when youfirst meet them. Experiences that will SHOCK you! What are we? Who are we? More than machine? More than a random cell evolution over millions of years? The Model Type Theory based on research of the look-alike brings about the awareness of how we can glean knowledge through each other and through our recognition of our own model type. What can you see in the humans that are all around you if you really pay attention?? You may find yourself actually standing in front of you--what then? What is there? Who is there? And, what is to be found within the shell of human flesh? . . . Does this genetic link lead us to spirit?? Researching the look-alike phenomena poses the question that there may be an intent to who we are and the type of body we are housed within and presupposes that there is a method to the madness called Life! To send pictures and experiences for further research or finding the look-alike type for you, go to: http: //www.personalcommunications.net

Jim J

Second Unit
seems like the only source of that genetic mirror stuff is on a forum over at ABC.com

sounds cool, but a little suspicious that no other references can be found.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator

One thing I noticed was the smoothie Desmond was making had fresh fruit in it. This either implies that he can get out to get the fruit (from the island or elsewhere), or that he has a sustainable habitat down there.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Great episode. Fantastic series.:emoji_thumbsup:

Btw, love all the kooky theories being thrown about. Very entertaining.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks