What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks guys. I guess its the Gift Set for me. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
WooHoo!! Can't wait!! :D :D

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Question, the Nov. release, which was supposed to have ~30 mintues of extra footage. I hope your not telling us that 19 minutes of that extra footage is just this charter member stuff.>Won't the 19 minutes of scrolling names affect bitrate? I thought we were already tight on the first 2 discs>I considerred becoming a "charter member" for this perk, but then I decided it was silly to pay for my name to be in the credits of a film. 19 minutes is Crazy.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I don't care for all the toys that come with the special boxed set but wonder if the NG special is worth adding to the collection. I didn't catch it when it came on.
What cha think?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I didn't bother signing to get my name in there I must admit. It seemed a tad pointless to me, but that's just my take, not a negative hit against those who went for it. The international member prices were fairly hefty too. I look forward to spotting HTF members names on there though. :D
I still love the way the full version of 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' cue plays out on the CD before leading into May it Be and a closing take on the Fellowship theme. In the film credits, it was hacked up slightly. The 'Breaking' cue was cut down in order for Enya to play immediately as the credits began, which may have been so due to the orders of her record label and the fact they wanted to market the song as a single. I do not know... The rest of the theatrical cut credits were a bit of a cut and paste job.
I really hope the extended cut fixes the edits though, and allows the cue continue as intended, reaching that lovely point after the Edward Ross 'In Dreams' vocal is over which, thanks to an edit, you never hear in the movie credits before Enya comes in. The additional new music from Shore should allow it to play out a lot better.
Dan

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The NG special didn't do a lot for me, other than the clips for the then-still-unreleased film, which were the main attraction for me. Pretty fluffy in general, though if you're a Tolkien novice it probably would be somewhat interesting.

Kami

Screenwriter
Won't the 19 minutes of scrolling names affect bitrate? I thought we were already tight on the first 2 discs.
I considerred becoming a "charter member" for this perk, but then I decided it was silly to pay for my name to be in the credits of a film. 19 minutes is Crazy.
How could a 3.5 hour film be tight on two discs? Maybe 5 hours would be tight considering all of the audio tracks, but not 3.5...
As for being a charter member, i didn't spend extra money just to get my name on a 19 minute wave of scrolling text, I did it for the extra lithographs (that will never be sold to anyone) mostly, plus you get a week advance purchase over everyone at their store. I couldn't resist anyway...charter membership was only $20 more for me (canadian membership) over the regular membership and the 3 extra lithographs were worth that alone. :emoji_thumbsup: the credits are just a little perk.
the best part is the magazine. it's damn fine writing, and has interesting articles. very high quality.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the NG special either. It looks like it was thrown together pretty quickly and some of the stuff didn't even have to do with Tolkien or LOTR. Basically, you're paying for the bookends. I'll get the non-deluxe set and save a few bucks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I loved the NG special. It was 100% about Tolkein and LotR; basically about all the things that inspired portions of the novels and how Tolkein came to have a grasp of concepts like warfare, "magic" and beings/places associated with it, languages, etc. Very in-depth, and rather biographical as well, it is probably not for everybody. But well done, for those of us who are interested in how such things come to be. Truly "Beyond the Movie", as the title says. Me and the missus are looking forward to the extended version of this NG special, which is the one that comes with the 5-disc set.

Craig W

Second Unit
I am excited about the November release, but I am disappointed about this 19 minutes of credits for people who essentially did nothing other than fork over some money.

I hope that this list is a separate DVD credits and not actually incorporated into the final credits.

We all know these kind of people. They live in their parents basement and they are putting their names in the credits to justify their existence. It's a slap in the face to the artists that actually put blood, sweat and tears into making this so called unfilmable film.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
We all know these kind of people. They live in their parents basement and they are putting their names in the credits to justify their existence. It's a slap in the face to the artists that actually put blood, sweat and tears into making this so called unfilmable film.
What an absolutely insulting thing to say.

Elijah Wood was the first person to pay for his membership. I guess that he needs to justify his existence.

Are you trolling? Pathetic.

Not that you deserve any response but I own my house and live above ground.

edited to keep from being suspended

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Craig W: I have already received complaints about your post. Please refrain from insulting people. Thank you. JB

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have information about the extras on the NG disc that will be in the Gift Set? The current NG disc only has trailers for other NG films.

I liked the NG special. Discussions of Tolkien's experience with Beowulf and the Kalevala were interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would advise this conversation take
another direction before we have to suspend
members.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Does anybody have information about the extras on the NG disc that will be in the Gift Set? The current NG disc only has trailers for other NG films.
The only thing I've heard of so far is that the NG special is an extended version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The added 19 minutes of credits probably won't make any difference.

Over four layers will be 230 minutes of anamorphic video, DD 2.0 surround, DD 5.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES, and 4 commentary tracks (which could be 1.0). This shouldn't pose a problem since DTS DVD's like A.I. are able to have a 145 minute movie with anamorphic video, DD 2.0, DTS 5.1, and DD 5.1, plus menus.

GregK

Screenwriter
Has there been any confirmation yet that the DTS ES tracks will be DTS ES discrete 6.1 ?

Michael Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Can it be that there is no subtitles on the extended version, but english subtitles on the normal version ?

I would gladly exchange one of the commentary tracks for some subtitles.

This annoys me.

Michael Eriksen

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Why wouldn't there be subtitles on the extended version?

Believe me, of all the reasons (of which there are none, by the way) for not including a subtitle track, bit budgetting is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks