What's new

Lord of the Rings extended DVD (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I checked the specs and it appears that the deluxe sets are just for FOTR... I didn't notice any Two Towers material on either supplement.

Is this correct.

And DTS 6.1????

Damn!!! Gotta get a new receiver for this and AOTC!!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Also, anyone think Wal-Mart will get these puppies??? I like to go there after work on Monday evenings and get the new releases....

I could order from DVD Empire but don't like ordering just one thing as the shipping charges make the price too high....

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well it looks like I'm gonna get the August Movie Only Bare Bones and the November Extended Cut. Just bought a 10-week Rental Card at Blockbust, 24.99, 10 DVD rentals, 2.50 per rental. Along with buying that you get the August FOTR for free. So I'll have that to hold me over. After I get the longer one I'll probably give the August one to my son or a friend.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I just got this email from the LOTR fan club
Due August 6th for $US29.95. (Does not contain Charter Member name scroll.)
Unbelievable! 19 minutes with scored music!
It's too bad that it won't be on the August version but what are you going to do?

AdamZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have some scary news, I just checked amazon.com and can not find the extended version sold by itself only available in the extra with the national geographic and bookshelf ends, what is this all about?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
A charter member is someone that got a lotr fan club membership in the first month that it was offered. There were various perks for joining as charter member. The quote above refers to the perk of having each charter members name included in the credits of the DVD release of the movie.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
AdamZ, I wouldn't worry too much. Here is a list of everything Amazon says is coming to DVD from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31. Note that it's only 23 items. I already have a longer list than that! About twice as long, in fact. Amazon just doesn't tend to list everything this far in advance. True that this is a strange omission, since they list the 5-disc version. Perhaps they're convinced the 5-disc version will sell much better!
Fear not...DVDEmpire lists the 4-disc version correctly! However, they do NOT list the 5-disc version. Hmmm; the thick plottens...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm glad that the theatrical version won't have the fan club members' names tacked on. I'd prefer if that that version is left "untouched" as we saw it in the theater from New Line's logo to the end of the credits. A special "uber-fan targeted" extended version of the film seems the more appropriate place to put this, so this is good news.

I can't wait to see the Extended Version, but the 19 minutes is amazingly long! I suppose I might listen to it at some point for the new score (can't get enough of Howard Shore's score), But I can't imagine actually wanting to watch 19 minutes of credits (I usually watch all the way through film credits) after just having watched a 3½ hour film! At first I cringed a bit at the idea of an extra 19 minutes of fan names using up disc space that should be devoted to the film itself for maximum image quality. But I suppose white credits scrolling on a black background can be highly compressed and not waste too much disc space. I hope.

August 6th can't come fast enough, and November 12 seems an eternity away!

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that I'll watch the full 19 minutes the first time through. After that I'll show it to my friends to prove what a pathetic geek I am. :D
I love Shore's work as well so it'll be interesting to hear the new score.
If nothing else this just proves once again how dedicated PJ and New Line are to this movie series.

Travis D

Second Unit
My list of things to buy:

(ahem)

2-Disc Theatrical Release
5-Disc Extended Release w/ Nat. Geo Disc
7-Disc Amaray case
2-Disc Two Towers Release
5-Disc TT Extended Release w/ Orthac and ? Bookshelf ends
7-Disc Amaray Case
2-Disc Return of the King Release
5-Disc ROTK Box Set Extended Cut
7-Disc Amaray Case

Total Discs: 21
Total Movies: 3
Total Peter Jackson bitches: 1

Amount of Money spent: ungodly

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Question, the Nov. release, which was supposed to have ~30 mintues of extra footage. I hope your not telling us that 19 minutes of that extra footage is just this charter member stuff.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
This has probably already been answered, but this thread is so long it would take a while for me to find it.

Other than the National Geographic DVD and price, is there any difference between the Collector's DVD Gift Set and the Special Extended Edition?

Thanks

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Won't the 19 minutes of scrolling names affect bitrate? I thought we were already tight on the first 2 discs.

I considerred becoming a "charter member" for this perk, but then I decided it was silly to pay for my name to be in the credits of a film. 19 minutes is Crazy.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
35 days until the August release ... 35 days ... 35 days ...

Then in November, the 5-disc set is MINE! ALL MINE!!

Other than the National Geographic DVD and price, is there any difference between the Collector's DVD Gift Set and the Special Extended Edition?
Don't forget those Argonath bookends!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Vlad: You get bookends that are made in the form of the carved statue/mountains, and some trading cards. Don't know what the bookends are made of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks