What's new

Logitech z506 and Hannspree ST42DMSB (1 Viewer)

Olegovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Oleg
Hello, I just got some Logitech z506 5.1 speakers and I currently have a Hannspree ST42DMSB HDTV.
I believe the speakers are for use with a graphics card for true 5.1 surround sound, but I am wondering how can I make it work with my TV so I can get true 5.1 sound on it as well? Any help is appreciated as I am pretty lost. The speakers come with 3.5mm audio cables, but my TV only has HDMI, RCA, and Coaxial. Is there a way to convert the signal?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Those speakers are made for connection to a computer sound card, and depend on having three 3.5 stereao jacks to supply the 5 channels.
There's absolutely no way to get 5.1 out of the TV since it only has one output, a stereo headphone connection. Even if the TV had a toslink port (which most do these days), I couldn't find a 5.1 converter, just a stereo to toslink converter.
If you wanted to connect the speakers to a receiver, there are RCA to 3.5 coverters. And even then it doesn't use a straight LRE channel, so you'd have to turn the .1 off in the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, by buying a 5.1 sound processor...
Which used ones out there will probably cost 10 times more than you paid for the Logitech speakers.

Olegovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Oleg
Thanks for the reply guys, sounds like a bummer. I guess I'll have to wait a few before getting a true 5.1 experience.
The coaxial port is where the coaxial cable connects to, sorry for the confusion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, When people mention coaxial, they usually mean a digital coaxial...when they are referring to audio.
I checked that TV and the only audio output is the headphone jack. You can use the Logitech in 2.0 if you want...but I'd return them and buy something else.

Olegovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Oleg
schan1269 said:
Ok, When people mention coaxial, they usually mean a digital coaxial...when they are referring to audio.
I checked that TV and the only audio output is the headphone jack. You can use the Logitech in 2.0 if you want...but I'd return them and buy something else.
Yeah, sorry about the confusion. Thanks though. Any reccomendations as to what would be the cheapest 5.1 I could get which would work with that set?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, "any" 5.1 should really work in EXCLUSION of that set.
The TV(really no TV) should not be a source...unless that source is OTA...which if you use OTA, you bought the wrong TV. TV themselves are NOT designed to be a HDMI switch in the first place.
Your 5.1 that you purchase should be its own "work". The TV(unless OTA is involved) should only be a display. If you read other threads about smart TV(using smart here in reference to APPS in general, even though "Smart TV" itself is an LG thing)...
In Panasonic TV, the app audio is held hostage in the TV. I have no idea if LG, Samsung, Toshiba, Vizio or any of the others out there do the same thing.
So, what...besides this TV(since all it can really be is a display anyway) is going to be connected?

Olegovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Oleg
schan1269 said:
Well, "any" 5.1 should really work in EXCLUSION of that set.
The TV(really no TV) should not be a source...unless that source is OTA...which if you use OTA, you bought the wrong TV. TV themselves are NOT designed to be a HDMI switch in the first place.
Your 5.1 that you purchase should be its own "work". The TV(unless OTA is involved) should only be a display. If you read other threads about smart TV(using smart here in reference to APPS in general, even though "Smart TV" itself is an LG thing)...
In Panasonic TV, the app audio is held hostage in the TV. I have no idea if LG, Samsung, Toshiba, Vizio or any of the others out there do the same thing.
So, what...besides this TV(since all it can really be is a display anyway) is going to be connected?
Well, I have an xbox, wii, and a ps3 connected to this...other than that, there is not much else. Thanks again for your help by the way!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you have this much cash...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S6300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003IT49LG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345657328&sr=1-2&keywords=ht-s6400
I picked that one specifically cause you have a Wii. Wii is not HDMI(unless you buy this...http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B0050RKH2Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345657399&sr=1-2&keywords=wii+to+hdmi which I have no idea how well those work) which means you need HDMI upconversion.
No, HDMI upconversion does not exist "on all things HDMI AV".
Denon has a receiver by the model number of AVR 591 that is the LOWEST price AVR that had this feature. Even Onkyo receivers with HDMI upconversion(anything from any year that starts with a 6...like 605, 606...etc) cost more than the 591 did. I do not know the current "least expensive" Denon with it(probably the 1913).
If you get the "Wii to HDMI" and you find it satisfactory...then you can buy "anything you want" that has HDMI switching.
You "could" even buy one of these...however you "lose" lossless audio from BD(DTS HD/Dolby True HD)
http://www.amazon.com/Switch-Remote-Toslink-Coaxial-Output/dp/B004XKZ2JC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345657695&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+switch+digital (this is just an example, as I do NOT know if this one sends out 5.1 audio via the toslink/digital coax. There are versions that do that...up to you to research that...since this is your option...)
One of those switches would allow you to buy stuff as old as 15 years old...as long as it is "digital" and has processing for Dolby Digital and DTS...as an example...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-HE200-AV-Control-Receiver-Silver-/290762576756?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item43b2ccd374 (notice this is $60, it is missing the remote and power cord)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are "quick" and the idea of the HDMI switch appeals to you...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SA-HE200-6-1-Channel-780-Watt-Receiver-/130746878709?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item1e711f0af5

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, by the way...
That Logitech Z506 "could" connect to this Panasonic I have linked above...
It has pre-outs for all channels. Meaning you connect the pre-outs to the 1/8th the Z506 has.
You can do it, but if you did...I'd cry...as it would be an enormous waste as to what a real set of speakers would sound like...
Also, in the interim. Remember what I said in my first post "buy a 5.1 sound processor"...
This SA HE200(and there are TONS of other ones if this one gets away) counts as a 5.1 sound processor. You "could" connect your headphone jack of this Hanspree to this SA-HE200(which would be an utter waste). But it would make more sense to connect the PS3, Wii and Xbox directly to it...and just send the video to the TV.
Add in an HDMI switch with 5.1 digital output (so you can have Dolby Digital and DTS)...when funds allow...if you would want a "simpler connection" (ie, not having to switch the TV input to match the audio of the receiver)

Olegovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Oleg
schan1269 said:
Also, by the way...
That Logitech Z506 "could" connect to this Panasonic I have linked above...
It has pre-outs for all channels. Meaning you connect the pre-outs to the 1/8th the Z506 has.
You can do it, but if you did...I'd cry...as it would be an enormous waste as to what a real set of speakers would sound like...
Also, in the interim. Remember what I said in my first post "buy a 5.1 sound processor"...
This SA HE200(and there are TONS of other ones if this one gets away) counts as a 5.1 sound processor. You "could" connect your headphone jack of this Hanspree to this SA-HE200(which would be an utter waste). But it would make more sense to connect the PS3, Wii and Xbox directly to it...and just send the video to the TV.
Add in an HDMI switch with 5.1 digital output (so you can have Dolby Digital and DTS)...when funds allow...if you would want a "simpler connection" (ie, not having to switch the TV input to match the audio of the receiver)
Thanks! I think I will hook up the z506 speakers to my PC, which has a compatible sound card, and I will save up for a more legit surround sound for the TV i currently own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks