What's new

Jag And The Sentinel Paramount Poll Page (1 Viewer)

LizS

Auditioning
Hey Deanna!

Well- I've been out of the loop. That long, eh? good for them! Though it'll be an investment to acquire the entire set. Of course- to rabid fans, money is no (very little???) object :D

And yeah- that seems to be the ratio for online participation in ALL my fandoms, though it's slightly lower for Highlander and slightly higher for Buffy/Angel. That may have to do with the average age of the fans and how busy with life they are. Also whether the show's been out of production or off the air.

But do you think it's fair to say that most people read the posts and 2/3 to 3/4 of the members would go out and buy the dvd's for either show?

COLOR=seagreen]Those are quite some numbers! I can really hear dollar signs for Paramount.... [/color]

;)
Liz

VickieG

Auditioning
:) I really want JAG On DVD! I fell in love with the show a couple of seasons ago, and since then I've furiously watched every rerun I could in order to catch up with it. I have every episode on VHS, but as you know VHS doesn't last. Eventually the episodes will deteriorate and I won't be able to watch them any more not to mention the quality you get on DVD. The quality of DVD just can't even compare to VHS nor does the ability to skip to a particular scene I might like to watch with the ease of DVD rather than the ridiculous l-o-n-g search required by VHS machines.

Hope this is explanatory enough for you---as to why I'd purchase JAG on DVD.

Can't say anything about the other show, because I've never watched it!!

Chris Hoffos

Auditioning
I would definitely buy Season Sets of The Sentinel -- I'd be skipping work to stand in line to get them!! Would love to see the episodes uncut, and perhaps get extras like interviews, bloopers, etc. Even a boxed set with all four seasons at once...that would be fantastic!

As for JAG -- I wouldn't buy it personally, but I know someone who would be getting it as a gift :)

Glad to see Paramount taking an interest in what the fans would like.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just bumping this up to see if anything new has come up.

I really want those Sentinel episodes so I can get rid of my cut Scifi channel copies.

Ellen Avigna

Auditioning
Although it seems that discussion here has come to a screeching halt, I still wonder if it's had any real impact. Is Paramount actually taking any notice of what viewers want?

Since this all started, I've been hoping to see Paramount realize that there's a lot of folks out here waiting for "The Sentinel" on DVD. Tons of far more obscure, less popular shows are being released - I mean, "My Big Fat Greek Life"? That was on for like, 5 minutes?! "The Sentinel" was on for 4 seasons, remains popular on the Sci-Fi Channel, is a cult favorite, and has a HUGE on-line presence.

Martin, you still there? When will we see "The Sentinel" out on DVD? I'll buy all the seasons for myself for Xmas!

Ellen

SandraPer

Auditioning
I don't think Paramount monitors this forum any more. If you'd like to write to Paramount, here is the address.

Paramount Studios
Attn: Tom Lesinski
President, Home Entertainment Div.
5555 Melrose Ave.
Hollywood, CA 90038

While I'd love to have the entire 65 episodes of The Sentinel on DVD, at this point I'd settle for a "best of", selected episodes DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In fact, it IS read, just not responded to as much due to time considerations. Here is a post from TODAY that addresses this.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Paramount could possibly bring either of these out before the second quarter of 2004, even if they jumped right onto one or both of them right after the poll was obvious in how it was turning out.

Ellen, it's easy to target something like "MBFGL", but never forget that the show you consider to be a waste of time is not Paramount's release; it belongs to Columbia. Better to address that in a thread discussing their releases (like, "Where's Fantasy Island?").

Ellen Avigna

Auditioning
>In fact, it IS read, just not responded to as much due to >time considerations. Here is a post from TODAY that >addresses this.

Thanks - I'm glad to hear Martin is still around.

>I could be wrong, but I don't think that Paramount could >possibly bring either of these out before the second >quarter of 2004...

You're almost certainly right, as at least "The Sentinel" is not currently on Paramount's due-to-be-released list: got this info when I called Paramount's Home Entertainment dept.

>Ellen, it's easy to target something like "MBFGL", but >never forget that the show you consider to be a waste of >time is not Paramount's release; it belongs to Columbia.

Did I say that I considered MBFGL to be a waste of time? Nope. Didn't. I'm just flabbergasted that a instant bomb gets instant DVD release from one studio, while a 4-season cult fave is left to languish by another. And that goes for JAG too - it's been on for what, 8 seasons now? What the heck are the release criteria? Has Paramount got such a backlog of TV shows/movies that we can't look forward to either show until late 2004 - or even later? Martin, if/when you do have the time to review this thread, perhaps you could address this question?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your response to my post. Let me just reply to the last portion of it:

I'm no Martin, and shouldn't presume to speak for him, either. And may not know it, but the answer to just the part I bolded really is YES. Now, I cannot speak to when (or even if, really) these shows are hitting DVD. But Paramount just by itself has one of the largest libraries of films around, most of which are still waiting to come to DVD. Tie into that their distribution on home video of product from Viacom "sister companies" like CBS, Nick, MTV, Comedy Central, and others I may be forgetting at 5 in the morning, and you can see that Paramount has a LOT to get through in DVD releases.

Columbia sets their own priorities based on their own releases. I apologize if I've lumped you into the bunch of folks in the My Big Fat Greek Life thread who are out-and-out saying that this release is a waste of time on Columbia's part, and a cash-in on the movie and all that. But Columbia/Sony's motives are their own, and all Paramount can do about such comparisons is shrug. They haven't got a thing to do with that release; they're busy worrying about their own release decisions. I should also point out that many "instant bombs" find their way into a new happy and profitable life on home video, and so that a quick release while the show is still on people's minds may in fact be the best way to recoup money from a flop show, esp. now before elements have a chance to deteriorate.

JAG debuted 8 years ago, and so it's first season shows probably can use a cleanup before hitting the scrutiny of a DVD release. The Sentinel is almost as old (7 years), and would need the same.

Try fitting that work into the ongoing work with series that have already starting coming to DVD, like the various Star Trek shows, Cheers, Frasier, I Love Lucy, C.S.I, Soul Food, Jamie Kennedy Experiment, South Park, The Real World, JackAss, Young Indiana Jones (being worked on now for 2005 or 2006 release per Rick McCallum), SpongeBob Squarepants, Blues Clues, Dora The Explorer, Jimmy Neutron, Rugrats, Fairly OddParents, and whatever else I'm forgetting. Not to mention a movie or two...when they have time. :D

Honestly, fans of these series should be grateful that their shows are even on the minds of the decision-makers. How many other classic Paramount-controlled shows are languishing without a home video release even hinted at? Here's 10 off the top of my head: Taxi, MacGyver, Mission: Impossible, Get Smart!, Police Squad, The Brady Bunch, The Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy. Wowsers.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Considering there were over 10,000 views (of course many repeats would be in that figure), and also considering there is a large membership that frequents this forum, and after 6 months there were only 432 votes for this, the numbers probably were underwhelming enough that other titles are being considered instead.

(my English prof would have hated that sentence...;) )

I was kind of wondering why there was no option to vote "Neither" (my vote) but after considering the above, Paramount gave this poll its best shot without any negative slant.

Many of David's titles have likely been moved ahead of either Jag or Sentinel for consideration.

In other words, I'm suggesting this idea will likely RIP for the foreseeable future...

Linda Rusty

Auditioning
Checking back after many months...

Thank you, David, for your comments on the number of shows that Paramount has available for considering for DVDs, and showing us some of the logistics involved in bringing a particular show to disc. However, that doesn't keep the fans from wanting it to hurry up! ;)

For Steve who noted that there were only 432 votes on this site for the Sentinel... well, there are many reasons why people may not have voted. I personally know some that did not want to register on a site merely to vote. I also know some that tried unsuccessfully to register and vote.

I've just checked in at TVshowsonDVD.com. The Sentinel is still -- after all these months and the flush of voting-fever has passed -- the 16th most-requested show out of all the shows listed on that site (over 500). Not bad at all. (Paramount, are you listening?) Total votes -- 1210.

That may still not sound like much to you, but I'm convinced that many people don't even know that they can vote. If this vote had happened a year ago, before I discovered on-line fandom, my vote would also not be there. However, that wouldn't stop me from buying the DVDs when they become available! (I just wouldn't know that they were in the offing.)

What I'm saying is, I'm pretty sure that, for every vote that appears on the TVshows site, there are probably 10 other fans who would buy The Sentinel on DVD; they're just not net-aware enough to make their wishes known.

So, even though I can't vote anymore, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and waiting patiently for the Sentinel on DVD. Just because we've realized that beating our heads against a wall only gives us a headache, doesn't mean that our interest has waned.

Linda

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've just checked in at TVshowsonDVD.com. The Sentinel is still -- after all these months and the flush of voting-fever has passed -- the 16th most-requested show out of all the shows listed on that site (over 500).
There are currently 4618 shows listed on that site! :D

And I agree with the rest of your note, Linda.

Keep in mind that earlier this week, Paramount gave strong indications that we will see the following series on DVD in 2004/2005: Taxi, Mission: Impossible, Happy Days, Mork & Mindy (those last four were in my note above), Charmed (as soon as home-vid rights are available to them in '05), Bosom Buddies, 7th Heaven, & Resurrection Blvd. They've also indicated previous to that long list that they will be releasing Star Trek TOS (after Voyager), CSI: Miami, the Winds Of War miniseries, and more MTV shows like Punk'd and Making The Band. I think Here's Lucy - confirmed to be in-the-works - belongs to them, too.

And still no feedback as to whether Sentinel or JAG went beyond the polling process and into development. The truth is that if Paramount decided to not do it based on poll results, they'll perhaps never say so outright. And if the poll convinced them to move ahead with the releases, then they might keep quiet about until they are ready for a formal announcement. Don't forget that NOTHING had probably been done yet to prep these for DVD when the polls were posted, and so they'd have to start from scratch once the green light was given.

Thanks again for the nice discussion about this topic.

Rosa B

Auditioning
I am a big fan of The Sentinel and I can watch episodes of the show over and over again. So without a doubt I would purchase it on dvd.:)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Keep in mind that earlier this week, Paramount gave strong indications that we will see the following series on DVD in 2004/2005: Taxi, Mission: Impossible, Happy Days, Mork & Mindy (those last four were in my note above), Charmed (as soon as home-vid rights are available to them in '05), Bosom Buddies,
All good news but I thought Tom Hanks was trying to buy up the rights to Bosom Buddies so he could burn every copy, I believe I heard him say that on a lakt show.

I voted for Sentinel as I don't like Jag, but I regret not doing both now as I just remembered that I liked the show when it was on NBC.

Bev Whelan

Auditioning
I actually joined this forum specifically so I could vote and make my views known.

I would love to be able to buy The Sentinel, the *complete* series of 65 eps, on DVD, preferably in season, uncut box sets, with added extras such as trailers, bloopers and cast/crew interviews. But I could live without the extras if it meant the difference between getting it released or not.

I live in the UK. Preferably, I would like to see it on sale in major retailers over here, like HMV. But if it was only released in the US, I would purchase it anyway and damn the postage cost. Just so you know, I *really* want to have it on DVD ;-)

Many other TV shows have been released on DVD by Paramount and others. The Sentinel has a dedicated, active fan following, despite having been cancelled long ago. Please, please give us the chance to own it on DVD. A lot of us have been waiting patiently for a long time.

Bev Whelan
England

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks