What's new

Isn't it about time for The African Queen? (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I doubt that Skidoo has a widescreen transfer available so TCM used only what it could. I'm surprised they were able to show the movie at all since it seems that many involved (or their estates) want to pretend this movie doesn't exist.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We are going to be out at Paramount at the end of October.

Someone should nudge me around that time to talk to them
about this title. I may be able to get all of you some sort of
concrete answer on its holdup.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I can just imagine what “The African Queen” would have looked if it was filmed in Cinemascope. Other films that I would have liked to see in scope are “Samson & Delilah”, “Quo Vadis”, “The Greatest Show On Earth” and “Singing In The Rain.” I know there are others, but all but Samson were filmed right on the edge of the aspect change.

Adrian_B

Grip

Shabby. Not beat up and damaged, but faded and flat. I don't know the original look, but even if it was filmed with a 'Moby Dick'-like color scheme, it still looked not far from VHS quality.

It will also depend on one's TCM source - DishNetwork compresses TCM to all hell, so saying the image looks 'soft' is not saying much.

I know now and then I watch the TCM version of an anticipated DVD release (like Magnificent Ambersons) to see if they've gotten a new master to show, but so far it looks like the same version they've been showing for years.

ted:r

Second Unit

I do repeat what I said something like 2 1/2 years ago :frowning: . Paramount needs to issue a statement about what is going on here. A simple statement would buy them a lot of good will. People might be upset at legal conniptions, bad sources, etc. but at least they would understand and they would appreciate that Paramount is trying. No statement implies they really don't give a damn. I don't believe that is the case but I would like something to indicate that that belief is unfounded.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Hear! Hear!
As the years roll on and I acquire even the most insignificant of my movie wish-list, I still cannot believe that this important picture has been swept into a closet somewhere.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Well...under a rug....on the back burner...wherever the dvd version is, it should get here already
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It is almost inconcievable that in 2008 that there is post 1940 Bogart still not on DVD. That Katharine Hepburn also stars makes it even more mind boggling.

I look forward to reading what HTF founds out when they visit Paramount later this year. Either element issues or rights issues would seem to be the most likely culprit. Surely the rumor that Legend passed on licensing this because it couldn't be colorized is unfounded.

Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am going to be at Paramount in a little over a week. In advance
of our visit, we were asked to submit to them a list of questions we
wanted them to address.

I don't want anyone to submit questions now, because the process
is already done and it's segregated to those in our immediate group.

I just wanted to let you know that the whereabouts of The African
Queen
was the question at the top of our list. Watch this thread
as we should have an answer for you within the next two weeks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Nice. Thanks, Ron.

I was just remarking in another thread about how much I hate idle speculation on issues like this. It will be so cool to get some kind of answer (hopefully definitive) on the subject.

IanUngstad

Grip
If the film is just being ignored by Paramount, I hope that Criterion picked it up when they grabbed all those delicious Paramount titles that have trickled out so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks