What's new

Isn't it about time for The African Queen? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For those asking questions about what was asked to the Paramount
executives, please look in the HOLLYWOOD MEET FORUM at the top
of the forum listings page.

The executives were divided among the attendees so I have no
idea what was asked outside of my table. I am very doubtful most
of your questions were even asked as our attendees had questions
of their own. Perhaps one of your questions was asked.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

For the record, Paramount was the first major studio to switch to widescreen cinematography. They made the change in late March 1953, and the recommended aspect ratio for their pre-VistaVision widescreen films was 1.66.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
I really hope with WINGS that someone at Paramount goes to the motion picture academy library and consults the cutting continuity that the Special Collections department has. It is missing reel 1, but the list of intertitles for the rest of the film is there, along with the tinting for each shot and even where the gunfire from the plane's machine guns was to be hand colored! As I recall, it even listed the Magna(scope? -vision?) sections, where the screen was to open up and the picture was to become HUGE. If you watch the home video version you'll notice that for the last half hour of part one the intertitles lettering is quite smaller. This is where the image was to be enlarged and the letters are smaller so they would't be jarring and actually match the size for the other titles.

I had the VHS, then the LD (autographed by Gaylord Carter and Buddy Rogers before it was lost in the Northridge earthquake to a TV falling on it and getting water damaged-damn!) and now an R7 DVD which are all the same version. The Academy showed the film a few years ago with live accompanyment and said it was a restoration, but that is all I know about it (out of town-2nd damn!).

I got tired of waiting for Paramount to release DVDs of those silent films they reissued in the 80's on VHS so I have been doing my own transfers and they look quite good. Since I don't think we'll ever get THE WEDDING MARCH with the original Vitaphone score, I'll settle for Gaylord Carter's, which is still a nice piece of work. Maybe they should farm these films out like they did HOUDINI and RHUBARB. . .

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Finally some good news...been waiting for over a decade...hope a BD version is in the works as well since most interested parties will likely have this capability in the probable timeframe (09/10?)...hope there is some effort to produce some new extras (like the influence this film has had on such subjects as location shooting, etc...).

Joel

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Well, I just received an email from Amazon this morning that THE AFRICAN QUEEN is now available to order. I don't see a release date, but they do have a price. The company is Paramount Home Entertainment (which is good sign ).

They are also offering a Blu-Ray edition.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So it's on Amazon, but there hasn't been an official press statement? Hopefully they jumped the gun and a formal press-release is coming early next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks