What's new

Is there a conspiracy about Back to the Future? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I never remember that from my viewing when it came out in the cinema...

...But, when the sequel posters appeared, one of my schoolfriends stated that he remembered there being 'to be continued...' at the end of the original movie.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
The original theatrical prints of BTTF did NOT end with "To be continued..."
i saw both movies at the theaters, i saw 'to be continued/concluded' at the ends of the movies, and i remember the agony of having to wait until the next movie each time.

Matthew H

Second Unit
i saw both movies at the theaters, i saw 'to be continued/concluded' at the ends of the movies, and i remember the agony of having to wait until the next movie each time.
Back to the Future 2 and 3 is different. They were filmed back to back, and released in November 1989 and May 1990. They already knew the series was going to end in a trilogy, so they had "To Be Concluded..." at the end of Part 2 and "The End" at the end of Part 3. As mentioned above, the first one had nothing at the end of the film.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I remember when the VHS tape came out in 1986. Video magazine did an article about the new tacked on 'To Be Continued...', complete with screenshot, and talked about how this was the first time that something like this had been added for the video release.
Folks, this tag was NOT on the original theatrical prints. It just wasn't there. Not there. Nope.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Wow...this is an interesting thread. I think this puts a whole new perspecting on the whole New Director's Cuts thats appearing on DVD (ala E.T., Star Wars, Amadeus, etc.) because altering of home video product has been going on for quite some time. Granted, I dont think a To Be Continued really is all that much to get upset for, because IMO, BTTF1 has one of the most opened ended endings ever in a movie.

Either way, this is an interesting read.

And to David Lambert who said this:
The conclusion was that the producers WANTED to leave it open-ended for a sequel, but noone knew when it would be made. Of course, years later Speilberg and the two Bobs finally got it together and did two sequels at once. That's still a great trivia question: Who did back-to-back films in a trilogy piece long before Peter Jackson did?
I dont know what was the first time ever a movie and its sequel were filmed at the same time, however, BTTF 2 & 3 definitely were not the first. Superman 1 and 2 started filming at the same time, and a good portion of 2 was completed before part 1 came out, but due to budget and creative differences, they decided to finish part 1 before part 2 and finish part 2 later.

Good thread.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I'm guessing, but would it be Richard Lester's
The Three & Four Musketeers with The Return Of The Musketeers made in 1989 finishing the trilogy. :D

Scott Varney

Agent
I ran the film in a theater 5 times a day for 2 weeks back in the summer of 1985.

The "To Be Continued" tag was not there.

I find it endlessly fascinating how the memory plays tricks with us.

Scott

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
complete with screenshot, and talked about how this was the first time that something like this had been added for the video release.
Not true. The first time was Star Wars A New hope. Originally it did not say Episode IV. Only when it came to home video did the words Episode IV show up. ;)

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Just to weigh in: by the time this made it to theatres in Britain, a TBC had been added (I remember this because of the agonisingly long wait for BTTF2).

MikeM

Screenwriter
I saw this movie in the theater and don't remember seeing "To Be Continued" at the end.

Then again, I have a feeling that this is the prefect type of thing that will be covered in the commentary track of the DVD. When Ron review's this one way ahead of the street date, it would be nice to make sure the commentary track is flipped on during this section for a final check.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in Sweden, on opening night Dec 18th, 1985. I seem to recall that it ended with "To be continued...", but I don't remember for sure. I wonder if it could have been added by then, since it was almost 6 months after the US premiere?

/Mike

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
"Episode IV" was added for a theatrical re-release.
Actually, "Episode IV - A New Hope" was added for the theatrical re-release. That is why most people who saw the movie in 1977 know this movie as, simply, STAR WARS.

Who wants to bet that in 10 years we will be having these inane arguments over whether it was RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or INDIANA JONES AND THE RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK?

- Steve

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Was BTTF ever re-released domestically after 1985? This may explain people remembering the "big screen" experience with the TBC tag added. Second or third runs perhaps?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Okay... who can answer this?

I saw BTTF on TV several weeks ago and noticed a shot of the black Toyota 4x4 early on in the film sitting on the back of a flatbed truck. I do not remember ever seeing that before. My first recollection of seeing that truck was when Marty opens the garage door at the end of the movie.

Granted, I don't think I have seen BTTF all the way through since the 80's but was that early shot of the Toyota 4x4 always there?

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I was about 6 or 7 when the movie came out...
I saw it in Peru, subtitled. I'm assuming it was an international print.
My dad swears the TBC was there, I say it wasn't.

I've also noticed that the scenes where Doc comes back and tells Marty about his kids look like they were shot differently... the lighting is off, and they look a bit older. They also feel tacked on...

Anyway, hopefully it'll be mentioned in the commentary...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've also noticed that the scenes where Doc comes back and tells Marty about his kids look like they were shot differently... the lighting is off, and they look a bit older. They also feel tacked on...
Now, this film I *did* see in theaters! Opening weekend; I vividly recall my date digging her fingernails into my right bicep as she tensely watched the climactic scene with the train!

What you say feels "tacked on" was definately there on opening weekend. For certain.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What you say feels "tacked on" was definately there on opening weekend. For certain.
It doesn't feel 'tacked' on, it was tacked in. This is well documented currently, and was well documented in when the videotape came out in 1986. I saw the film opening weekend, and it was not there. I always watch films all the way through the closing credits. Not there.

I read the article in Video magazine before I rented the VHS tape. When I rented the VHS tape, I intentionally was waiting for the tag to show up since I had recently read the article in Vidoe magazine.

Sorry, it was not there on the original theatrical prints. Selective memory is interesting, to say the least.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
On a slightly related topic...
Did Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins promise a sequel in the closing credits? I recall seeing a named sequel in an '80s action movie in the past year or so and my mind is telling me that was the movie.
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks