What's new

Is there a certain actor/ actress's movies that you won't watch? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I never let an actor steer me away from films but there are actors whose work and persona are generally disappointing. Don't care for Tom Cruise: he seems to be straining so hard in his acting that you can hear the machinery turning. Julia Roberts can be good, but she's fallen into the superstar trap where she seems to just be coasting through roles. Don't like Jim Carrey's brand of over-the-top comedy (but I loved him in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") so I know he is capable of good work.

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, i would certainly never avoid a movie just because a certain actor is in it, but i will avoid certain types of movie, and there are certain actors that tend to be in those kinds of movies. which makes my "avoidance" of those actors simply incidental.

for instance, i just don't like slapstick comedies in the adam sandler/ben stiller vein, but my dislike for them has got nothing to do with either sandler or stiller; that sort of comedy just doesn't make me laugh.

but i loved punch-drunk love and permanent midnight.

having said that, there are definitely actors the popularity of which baffles me, but again, actually avoiding a movie just because a particular actor is in it - even an annoying one - strikes me as odd.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I second Barbara Streisand.
I'm in a real delima in regards to "Meet the Fockers". Can't believe she's going to be in it. I'm definitely not going to spend any money to watch it.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sami Kallio-

Yeap, the car analogy was a bad one.
It should be more something like,
"I won't eat an ice cream cone dipped in sprinkles
if I know that one or two of the sprinkles are
actually hamster shit."

:)

todd stone

Screenwriter
some of you are missing out, if you never saw the om Cruise movie "Born on the 4th of July" Robbed of an OSCAR imo.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Meg Ryan, who now looks like the Joker, and Freddie Prinze Jr...the William Hung of movies.
Who the hell keeps green lighting his movies?

I saw "Addicted to Love" and "Boys and Girls" back to back, man I'll never get those wasted hours of my life back.

Anything with Wayans brothers, directed or starring.

What's with this "White Chicks". It looks like "Juwanna Mann meets "Soul Man".

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is up with Meg Ryan's lips? Those are freaky.

The question that keeps going through my head is, are you folks saying you will never watch any movie these actors have ever made? Flatly refusing to see any new one is strange enough, but refusing to watch anything they've ever done is downright bizarre, particularly with people like DeNiro and Streep(?).

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
This is a tough one! There are a lot of actors I don't like but every once in a while you get a surprise and discover that someone you thought was just another face can actually act, like Charlize Theron in Monster.

Yet I have to say, once and for all.. no Carrot Top. Not ever. I find Gilbert Godfried almost as offensive and will not see any movie with either of these co-nadirs of entertainment.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I can't comment on his recent Hollywood output (e.g. Windtalkers) which I missed, but you should reconsider A Better Tomorrow I and II, The Killer and Bullet In The Head -- all classics (and all of which are being re-released in nice collectors' sets in HK R3 soon :D )

But I suppose if you're not into action/gangster movies, you wouldn't like any of the above. Fair enough if that's the reason, but please don't judge his output solely on his latter-day Hollywood stuff.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's an actor or actress that does this, although I'm fairly certain Michael Rappaport and Clift Montgomery annoy the hell out of me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

And to offer more wisdom of this vein:

Tis better to have driven off of a cliff, then never to have driven a car at all.

Ok, here's another actor that I can't stand: Frankie Munez (Malcom in the Middle)

I used to enjoy the TV show, but damn, the kid is one note, all the time in everything. And I have to watch some of this with kids.. but those spy movies.. god awful.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Sandra Bernhard (fingernails on chalkboard)
Ewoks
Ben Affleck
Russell Crowe
John Travolta playing a bad guy in anything other than pulp fiction
Rob Lowe
Hugh Grant
Leonardo DiCaprio

Not to say that I would skip every movie with the afore mentioned in them, but they have kept me from seeing some of them.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dome-

Do you mean Montgomery Clift or is there an actor with his name reversed?

Boy, can't say I share your opinion;
M. Clift is one of those actors who should've
received an Oscar for his work in several
of his films:
Judgment at Nuremberg
From Here to Eternity
and
A Place in the Sun
all have heartbreakingly brilliant Clift performances.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Yeah, I forgot about him. I've seen a couple of his movies, but only because someone else rented them. He really annoys me for some reason. Something a little too "cute" about his sense of humor. I cringe every time I hear he's hosting the Oscars again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks