What's new

Is there a certain actor/ actress's movies that you won't watch? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit

I suppose this one isn't on your shelf, then...

Add me to the anti-Tom Cruise legion.

Haven't been able to stand him in anything since Risky Business. He was even able to ruin a Cameron Crowe movie for me... which is quite an accomplishment.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Julia Roberts, Rosie O'Donnell, Hugh Grant, Chris Tucker Steven Seagal, Snoop Dog, Fran Drescher and Barbara Streisand.

To a lesser extent, Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I can't stand Julia Roberts. I'll watch movies with her in it, but I'd always end up silenty booing her character. :D When she got that Oscar I think I threw something at the TV. :b

I also can't stand Madonna.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Pauly Shore. I don't know about WON'T watch his films, but I have no desire to see any of them, and I never have. He annoys the hell out of me.

I like her, but my mother, who was also from Seattle, just COULD NOT STAND HER. Her very presence in a film was like nails on a chalkboard to her. Maybe it's a Seattle thing? ;)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Pauly Shore
Seann William Scott
Chris Tucker
Hilary Duff
Woody Harrelson
Julia Roberts

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

I cannot for the life of me remember what part Stiller played in Mission: Impossible. Can anyone point that out?

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

He was in Mission: Improbable, where he plays Cruise's stunt double.:rolleyes:

My list:
Ben Stiller (horrible, horrible, horrible)
Bette Midler (see above)
Julia Roberts (never understood why she is so popular)
Jack Black (don't mind him in supporting roles, like Enemy of the State)
Susan Sarandon (blech)

I'm sure I could think of more if I really tried

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Billy Crystal is not funny and that little old Jewish man impression is just tired tired tired.

I'll also second Jack Black (although School of Rock has softened me a bit on that position, but usually he's just grating) and Renee Zellwegger (you should hear some of the evil stories circulating around Austin from her bad antics as she was starting to make it big).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to go with Lew here. DeNiro? Are you kidding me?

Adam Sandler has certainly been in a lot of bad movies, but he also starred in Punch-Drunk Love which is great. it makes no sense to deny yourself seeing such a great film for absolutely no sensible reason.

Jennifer Lopez? Come on folks, think for yourself for once. Despite her persona, Lopez is a fine actress, when she has decent material. Check out Angel Eyes.

Nicolas Cage? I can only shake my head. You can't possibly be serious! Leaving Las Vegas. Matchstick Men.

Reese Witherspoon? Now I understand. We all forget anything before the last 2 movies. Not only is Election great and she is great in it, there are seriously edgy things like Freeway and just good things like Pleasantville, not to mention The Man in the Moon which is not only one of the greatest films ever made but one of the greatest performances put on film. of course, Legally Blonde 2 sucked, so I guess none of that matters.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Not watching a movie becuase somebody you might not like is involved with it is such a pathetic excersise of self will.

That's like not driving a Saleen Mustang becuase its made by Ford. You might think it's gonna suck, but you'll never know becuase you never gave it a chance.

Ode to the biggest movie cliche ever, "Tis better to have loved and lost than never loved at all."

Just isntead of love, put in the word try.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I was going to say J.Lo when this thread started several days ago, but I just saw an SNL ep where she was the host, and she actually wasn't bad in it. And I am reminded that I actually sat through Maid In Manhattan (on a plane! there wasn't anything else left to watch!) and *shock horror* it was all right, i.e. I didn't gag/puke/fall asleep. (To this day I haven't watched Out Of Sight, but I've always intended to, sooner or later.)

But many others have already said it, regardless of how I might feel about any individual, I wouldn't necessarily avoid that movie if there was some reason I otherwise wanted to watch it. Certainly the presence of certain actors would diminish the likelihood I'd watch it, often to the point I wouldn't, but there are no absolutes.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

And now she's reproducing! :eek: Damn, I wish someone would sterilize Hollywood.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I cannot say there is any actor that prevents me from actually seeing a film, but I tend to not see "Yet another 'Tom Cruise' film," as others have mentioned.

I would've seen The Last Samurai had it starred just about anyone else except for Kostner, who is in the same, "don't appreciate his talent" category as Cruise.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even though I tend to agree, there is not a person alive who would have been as good in Punch-Drunk Love as Sandler. It is an oddly dramatic role I suspect only he could pull off so well.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Well, I'm not so petty as to say I'd NEVER view the films of a particular actor or actress, because every so often, I've been pleasantly surprised by a particular performance or two from an actor that I previously had little or no interest in. I'll agree that there are some actors whose acting style can get on my nerves (first one who comes to mind is Matthew Lillard - after his over the top performance in Hackers, the guy's just been nails on a chalkboard for me - which is not a particularly good analogy, as actual nails on a chalkboard don't really bother me), but for the most part, I'll give anyone a shot - who knows, they might even change my mind about them!

I also usually try to separate any hype about a particular celebrity from their performance, which I think tends to color people's opinions about certain individuals a bit too much. Frankly, I'm not that concerned with hype - if a performer has the chops, that's what's most important to me. Sure, it can be a drag when a performer's celebrity status can overshadow their performance, for good or bad, but that's been going on for decades. For every overhyped performance by some actor (Maid in Manhattan or Gigli for Jennifer Lopez, or Jerry Maguire or Chicago for Renee Zellweger), there's a lesser-known role by that same performer that's actually worth seeing (My Family or Out of Sight for Lopez, The Whole Wide World or Nurse Betty for Zellweger).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Zellweger was also great in White Oleander and One True Thing, but I completely disagree she wasn't good in Chicago. I didn't get her performance at first, but now I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks