What's new

Is there a certain actor/ actress's movies that you won't watch? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Tom Cruise.

The only movie I could stand watching with him in a lead role was Interview With the Vampire because it was such a different role. I didn't feel that I was watching Tom Cruise but the character. I can't say that about any of his other roles.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could name someone, but surprisingly I can't. There's no one I think that negatively of that they would keep me from something that otherwise looks appealing.

Some actors I rarely if ever see because they gravitate to things that disinterest me. I've only seen Vin Diesel in Saving Private Ryan and thought he was fine, but his current career trajectory means I'm unlikely to see him again anytime soon. Not avoiding him in particular, but the effect is the same.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I can well understand that some of you don’t like Tom Cruise. His roles often do seem similar.

Have you seen Rain Man? Somewhat different, and although he was not brilliant, it is certainly no Top Gun. Plus not watching the film would have meant missing a brilliant performance by Dustin Hoffman.

Jared C

Auditioning
There's not really an actor or actress that would keep me from watching a movie that I have an interest in. Though, I do find any movie with Ben Asslick to be affected by his presence!

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor

Me too. Although I have yet to see a Greer Garson pic where her presence doesn't help to ruin whatever interest I initially had in the movie.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I don't like Billy Bob Thornton. Can't stand him. But, I saw Bad Santa and laughed my ass off. The actor is only one factor in the equation of a good film, with writer and director being much bigger factors.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I would never not see a movie because of a certain actor or actress. However, I must say I've never seen a film I like, and cringe at nearly every performance I've seen with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and especially Vivien Leigh.

If that includes Random Harvest and Goodbye, Mr. Chips, then we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Her role in Goodbye, Mr. Chips is actually, for me, her most tolerable. I partly blame MGM for her negative impression on me, what with the endless, banal "queenly mother" roles they gave her. It would be great if a lost film was discovered with her in it as a hooker or something.

I guess we'll just have to agree to...

Aw, hell, you're going to blazes, george. ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I avoid actors/actresses who have become such huge stars that they are given way too much screentime in whatever film they're in, whether the character justifies it or not.

Tom Cruise is an example and I don't necessarily think it's his fault.

To digress a bit, I always say I hate musicals because everytime the plot starts to move somebody bursts into song and 10 or 15 minutes is wasted on a big production number.

In The Last Samurai I got a similar feeling--everytime we were about to get some character development or insight into the Japanese culture and the very real wrenching conflict that was going on at the time, they'd cut to some scene of Cruise practicing martial arts or maybe just (figuratively) contemplating his navel or otherwise BEING THE STAR OF THE MOVIE. I find this a characteristic of most of his films, and don't know if it's his ego or that the filmakers feel like they need to get thier money's worth out of his presence in the movie or what.

Brad E

Second Unit
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Steven Seagal

I refuse to watch anything with these two in it.

Jeff Bridges also annoys the hell out of me. I was watching White Squall and almost had to turn it off because of the smacking sound he always makes with his lips just before he talks. Very distracting and ruined the whole movie for me.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
His name is Anthony Anderson, His name is Anthony Anderson, :D

Juliette Lewis, she's not acting if you're playing yourself in every movie.

Evan Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Pauley Shore, Tom Green, Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Michael Moore, Julia Stiles, Drew Barrymore, Steven Baldwin, Don Wilson, any rapper other than Snoop Dog, DMX, LL Cool J, Ice T, and Will Smith.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to have to second that. I have rocks in my back yard with more screen presence and charisma than him.

Someone in Hollywood must owe him a favor. He's been around too long just to be coasting on the name. I'm sure hooking up with SMG hasn't hurt, but she doesn't really have that much clout, does she?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Although I probably wouldn't watch any of Jennifer Lopez's recent or future projects, I really admire her work in Out of Sight and The Cell, 2 underrated films that wrongfully lead me to believe J.Lo would have a respectable movie career.

Jamie Foxx annoys me, although not to the point of me avoiding his movies (I do like Booty Call).

The only actor/actress that would cause me to miss a movie I would otherwise want to see is Dakota Fanning.

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
I have no rational explanation for my dislikes, but here they are...

Geena Davis
Jessica Lange

Maybe it has something to do with both of them being critically acclaimed for their inability to act (IMNSHO).

And, you guys are being WAY too hard on Juliette Lewis...I thought she was excellent in NL's Christmas Vacation.;)

...just my $0.02 worth. (Even then, I'm probably overcharging)

-Ross

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Drew Barrymore, Meg Ryan and Kate Hudson are just *so* adorable.

Oh, I forgot to mention- I hate "adorable." They're like children pretending to be adults who act like children. The constant mugging, shoulder shrugging, nose-scrunching- stop it, gals! If I want cute, I'd baby-sit my little cousins or go to a zoo or something.

And Adam Sandler. So you can imagine my enthusiasm for the Sandler/Barrymore projects *shudder*

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
There's no actor that I absolulty under no circumstances will not go and see a movie because they are in, but I do tend to avoid films with certain Actors/actresses in them:

Julia Roberts
Adam Sandler
Estella Warren (I wouldn't normally mention but she was soooooooo bad in Planet of the Apes, I think I hate her.)
Nicholas Cage
Angelina Jolie (she's not attractive, she's just got T&A, Get over it)
Richard Gere
Drew Barrymore
Cameron Diaz

There are others, of course, but these are the basics. But in their defence, there have been movies that I enjoyed with some of these actors/actresses in them (not including Estella Warren, 'cuz I think I hate her)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I don't watch Mickey Rourke films...

Okay...I mean I say, "I won't watch Mickely Rourke films," but keep seeing them because I don't want to miss what might turn out to be a good movie.

So what I should say is, "I have never seen a Mickey Rourke film that I like and most of the time I avoid them specifically because Mr. Rourke is in them."

There. That's what I mean...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks