What's new

69th (2017) Primetime Emmy Awards (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Previous threads:
The awards will be presented at the Microsoft Theater in downtown Los Angeles on Sunday, September 17. CBS will broadcast live.

This year's nominations:
OUTSTANDING DRAMA (The 2016 winner, Game of Thrones, was ineligible this year)
Better Call Saul
The Crown
The Handmaid’s Tale
House of Cards
Stranger Things
This Is Us
Westworld

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
Anthony Hopkins, Westworld
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards
Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (The 2016 winner, Tatiana Maslany, was ineligible this year)
Viola Davis, How To Get Away With Murder
Claire Foy, The Crown
Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
Keri Russell, The Americans
Evan Rachel Wood, Westworld
Robin Wright, House of Cards

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (The 2016 winner, Maggie Smith, was ineligible this year)
Ann Dowd, The Handmaid’s Tale
Samira Wiley, The Handmaid’s Tale
Uzo Aduba, Orange Is The New Black
Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
Thandie Newton, Westworld

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA (The 2016 winner, Ben Mendelsohn, was nominated in the Guest Actor category this year since he was no longer a series regular)
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
John Lithgow, The Crown
Mandy Patinkin, Homeland
Michael Kelly, House of Cards
David Harbour, Stranger Things
Ron Cephas Jones, This Is Us
Jeffrey Wright, Westworld

GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Alison Wright, The Americans
Alexis Bledel, The Handmaid’s Tale
Cicely Tyson, How to Get Away With Murder
Ann Dowd, The Leftovers
Laverne Cox, Orange Is The New Black
Shannon Purser, Stranger Things

GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
BD Wong, Mr. Robot
Hank Azaria, Ray Donovan
Denis O’Hare, This Is Us
Brian Tyree Henry, This Is Us
Gerald McRaney, This Is Us

OUTSTANDING COMEDY
Atlanta
black-ish
Master of None
Modern Family
Silicon Valley
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Veep

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Pamela Adlon, Better Things
Jane Fonda, Grace & Frankie
Allison Janney, Mom
Ellie Kemper, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Tracee Ellis Ross, black-ish
Lily Tomlin, Grace & Frankie

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Anthony Anderson, black-ish
Aziz Ansari, Master of None
Zach Galifianakis, Baskets
Donald Glover, Atlanta
William H. Macy, Shameless
Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Leslie Jones, Saturday Night Live
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
Vanessa Bayer, Saturday Night Live
Kathryn Hahn, Transparent
Judith Light, Transparent
Anna Chlumsky, Veep

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Louie Anderson, Baskets
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live
Tituss Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Tony Hale, Veep
Matt Walsh, Veep

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Wanda Sykes, black-ish
Carrie Fisher, Catastrophe
Becky Ann Baker, Girls
Angela Bassett, Master of None
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Riz Ahmed, Girls
Matthew Rhys, Girls
Dave Chappelle, Saturday Night Live
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Saturday Night Live
Tom Hanks, Saturday Night Live
Hugh Laurie, Veep

TV MOVIE
Black Mirror (“San Junipero”)
Dolly Parton’s Christmas Of Many Colors: Circle Of Love
Sherlock: The Lying Detective
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Wizard of Lies

LIMITED SERIES
Big Little Lies
Fargo
FEUD
Genius
The Night Of

LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Carrie Coon, Fargo
Felicity Huffman, American Crime
Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies
Jessica Lange, FEUD
Susan Sarandon, FEUD
Reese Witherspoon, Big Little Lies

LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Riz Ahmed, The Night Of
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: The Lying Detective
Robert De Niro, The Wizard of Lies
Ewan McGregor, Fargo
Geoffrey Rush, Genius
John Turturro, The Night Of

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Regina King, American Crime
Laura Dern, Big Little Lies
Shailene Woodley, Big Little Lies
Judy Davis, FEUD
Jackie Hoffman, FEUD
Michelle Pfeiffer, The Wizard of Lies

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Alexander Skarsgård, Big Little Lies
David Thewlis, Fargo
Alfred Molina, FEUD
Stanley Tucci, FEUD
Bill Camp, The Night Of
Michael Kenneth Williams, The Night Of

REALITY SHOW HOST
Martha Stewart & Snoop Dogg, Martha & Snoop’s Potluck Dinner Party
Gordon Ramsay, MasterChef Junior
Alec Baldwin, Match Game
Heidi Klum & Tim Gunn, Project Runway
RuPaul Charles, RuPaul’s Drag Race
W. Kamau Bell, United Shades of America With W. Kamau Bell

REALITY SHOW COMPETITION
American Ninja Warrior
Project Runway
RuPaul’s Drag Race
The Amazing Race
The Voice
Top Chef

VARIETY TALK SERIES
Full Frontal With Samantha Bee
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
The Late Late Show With James Corden
The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Real Time With Bill Maher

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's hardly a surprise but The Leftovers was snubbed. As was Mr. Robot.

The comedy nominations are pretty good. Atlanta won't win but it deserves it.

I love Jonathan Banks and he's great on Better Call Saul but I kinda wish that Michael McKean had gotten the nomination instead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Emmy Awards are on a June 1 to May 31 year. A number of shows started later this year and missed the cutoff, which opened up some categories in a big way.

I'm thrilled about:
  • The Drama Series nominations for "Stranger Things", "This Is Us" and "Westworld". The Emmys aren't great at recognizing genre fare, and it's nice to see that a well-made feel good broadcast drama can still make the cut.
  • The Lead Actor nominations for Anthony Hopkins and Milo Ventimiglia. Hopkins was virtually a lock from the beginning, but very very deserved. These were two of my favorite performances of the 2016-17 television season.
  • The Lead Actress nomination for Evan Rachel Wood. I think it's easy to underestimate just how difficult of a performance this was. She was "Westworld's" true lead, and the show would have failed if she hadn't been up to the task.
  • The Supporting Actress nomination for Millie Bobby Brown. Probably the most astonishingly great child performance since Hailee Steinfeld in the Coen Brothers True Grit. Thandie Newton's nomination is also very well deserved.
  • The Supporting Actor nomination for Ron Cephas Jones. For my money, the best performance of the 2016-17 television season. His character told a complete story over the course of the first season, and I was moved by the entire journey. Jeffrey Wright's nomination is also very well deserved.
  • The Guest Actress nomination for Ann Dowd. She was predictably great in her one appearance this season. It's criminal that she's the lone acting representative for "The Leftovers", which was full of incredible performances this season.
  • The Guest Actor nomination for Gerald McRaney. I can't think of an instance where a guest actor has been more crucial to the success of a show. McRaney did some of the best work of his very distinguished career.
  • The Lead Actress nomination for Pamela Adlon. "Better Things" was a brilliant little oddity, and there wouldn't be a show without her.
  • The Guest Actress nomination for Carrie Fisher. I still miss the hell out of her, dammit.
  • The Reality Show Host nomination for Martha Stewart & Snoop Dogg. Just because it's still hilarious and wonderful that "Martha Stewart & Snoop Dogg" is a thing.

I'm pissed about:
  • The lack of love for "The Leftovers". This season might not have quite reached the heights of the (also criminally underrecognized) second season, but it was an incredible and original work of television.
  • The lack of love for "Legion", which took the superhero framework and existing intellectual property and made the most original show of the year (outside of the "Twin Peaks" revival). Especially egregious is that lack of a Supporting Actress nomination for Aubrey Plaza. She was one of the most captivating (and terrifying) screen villains of the year.
  • "Modern Family" continue to get nominated, even though it's worse than it's ever been.
  • Lauren Graham not making the limited series Lead Actress cut for the "Gilmore Girls" revival.
  • The lack of love for "The Good Place", arguably the best comedy of the 2016-17 TV season. It should have been a lock for a Comedy Series nomination. And Ted Danson not making the comedy Supporting Actor cut for "The Good Place" is shocking. He had to walk a tightrope for that role, and he did it flawlessly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
  • The lack of love for "The Good Place", arguably the best comedy of the 2016-17 TV season. It should have been a lock for a Comedy Series nomination. And Ted Danson not making the comedy Supporting Actor cut for "The Good Place" is shocking. He had to walk a tightrope for that role, and he did it flawlessly.
Yeah, The Good Place is the one comedy off the top of my head that I think definitely deserved to be on there.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gotta disagree about Modern Family. I think it is still hilarious.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm in no way questioning his deservingness of recognition for the role, but as a technical question, how did Alec Baldwin get nominated as a supporting actor instead of guest star? He was a guest star!

Then again, I think it's a little weird that the SNL performers can be nominated in the same categories as people who play the same role for 8, 10, 12, 22 episodes. I'm not necessarily sure I'd call what the SNL cast does "acting" in the same sense as all the other nominees. Which is not to say that they're not worthy of some kind of recognition, I'm just not sure that's the right place. (Similar to my gripe about Gravity winning Best Cinematography when 95% of the movie was animated. The movie was worthy of praise, but maybe not an award for photography since virtually nothing in it was photographed.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in no way questioning his deservingness of recognition for the role, but as a technical question, how did Alec Baldwin get nominated as a supporting actor instead of guest star? He was a guest star!
I agree. Plus, he's a stone cold lock to win so it really sucks for the other guys that are in their proper category.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The rule is that if you are in eight or more episodes of a show during a season, you cannot submit as a guest actor, even if you're billed as a guest star. That's why he's in supporting and Melissa McCarthy is in guest actress.

My biggest gripe is that CBS' The Good Fight was not recognized in any way.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I agree with Josh regarding the incongruity of SNL performers being nominated in the same categories as performers from the more story line based shows. In my opinion, there should be separate categories for sketch based comedies, although perhaps there aren't enough of them to warrant this?

Not a single nomination for THE BIG BANG THEORY this year? I guess the Emmy people really consider this iconic sitcom to be past its prime. In my opinion, TBBT is at least still equal to, if not better than, MODERN FAMILY (Which I also still watch and enjoy!), but so it goes!

CHEERS! :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Wow, network is almost dead to the Emmys, isn't it?

Also, Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange both nominated for Feud... in guessing it won't play out like the Emmy ceremony on the show.

Oscar ceremony. Unless it's played out for laughs I don't see it happening.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oscar ceremony. Unless it's played out for laughs I don't see it happening.
And it's also probably the most hotly contested category at this year's ceremony and with the biggest stars in the line-up. Anyone could win, and making a choice seems impossible!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is so. much. good. TV on Sundays right now. I use a Ceton card as my DVR, and it includes four recording slots. Tonight's the first night I've ever had to triage what gets recorded and what gets bumped, because I'm already using all four slots:

"The Orville", "Teen Wolf" (back-to-back episodes), "The Last Ship", "Outlander", "The Vietnam War", "Fear the Walking Dead", "Rick and Morty".

I am recording tonight's awards telecast, but I think I'm going to have to just skim through during the twenty minutes at the start of each hour, while I'm waiting for a commercial buffer to build up elsewhere. Even saving "Teen Wolf" and "Fear the Walking Dead" for tomorrow and "The Vietnam War" until later in the week, there's just too much to fit into one night.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
There is so. much. good. TV on Sundays right now. I use a Ceton card as my DVR, and it includes four recording slots. Tonight's the first night I've ever had to triage what gets recorded and what gets bumped, because I'm already using all four slots:

"The Orville", "Teen Wolf" (back-to-back episodes), "The Last Ship", "Outlander", "The Vietnam War", "Fear the Walking Dead", "Rick and Morty".

I am recording tonight's awards telecast, but I think I'm going to have to just skim through during the twenty minutes at the start of each hour, while I'm waiting for a commercial buffer to build up elsewhere. Even saving "Teen Wolf" and "Fear the Walking Dead" for tomorrow and "The Vietnam War" until later in the week, there's just too much to fit into one night.
Other than "Teen Wolf" and "Rick and Morty", we've got very similar tastes in viewing.

As for the Emmy Awards, not to sound like a troll, but "who cares"? I don't watch any of the award shows any longer, just glorified "stars" getting to dress up and show what they're wearing. The world is becoming much more shallow and vain.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I''m definitely less interested since they started nominating all the shows I've never seen from premium cable channels or streaming services that I don't have, rather than major broadcasters. I think they should have separate categories, or even separate ceremonies, for cable/streaming vs. broadcast.

About the only contest I care about this year is the Actress race for FEUD. Whether Lange or Sarandon will win, or if they'll split the vote and allow someone else to take the award.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"The Orville" got delayed by football, so I ended up watching most of it. Kind of a disappointing show. I think Sterling K. Brown was the only one I was rooting for that won.

And I know the world is fucked up in 2017, and that was bound to factor into the Emmys, but it got a little tiring after a while listening to same tired political jokes and the same pointed jabs and the same affirmations of progressive bona fides.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I know the world is fucked up in 2017, and that was bound to factor into the Emmys, but it got a little tiring after a while listening to same tired political jokes and the same pointed jabs and the same affirmations of progressive bona fides.

Having Colbert as host cinched it.

But the overriding question of the night for me was:

Who the $%&+ was the announcer?

I'm a BIG TV guy...but the show is getting less and less relevant for me as the medium has become so diluted. I'm to the point where I'm not even catching many of the references made during the broadcast.

But I hadn't heard about some change in the audience's sensibilities that allows it to make sense to hire some young guy to just scream the voiceover announcements and the names of presenters and their credentials. WHO thought THAT was a good idea?!?
confused-smiley-013.gif

I stopped paying close attention to this year's show. I suspect I may not even tune in next year. It's a shame. I love award shows.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With the awards now covering so many platforms that I either don't get or don't have time to check out, my rooting interest for the nominees now is greatly reduced. I haven't watched the show in several years. Now, I just read the winners' list on-line, and if there is someone whose speech I want to hear, I'll find it on YouTube in a matter of days.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It's interesting to read the comments about relevancy and abundance of shows. For me, this was the first year (or maybe the second) where I felt like the awards and my interests finally intersected. Simply put: this year finally recognized good work, and not just popular work (with some exceptions, of course).

This ties in to comments I've made in other threads (notably Designated Survivor) about shows many simply not being good enough. Few shows on network TV can compete with the quality of those on streaming services and cable. Could The Handmaid's Tale air on CBS in 2017? No. Even if it could, would it be as good? No chance. How about Black Mirror (image the version that would air on FOX)? I can't even imagine what Westworld would look like on NBC.

Most network TV provides the viewer with reliable but predictable entertainment. When was the last time a network show truly surprised you from week-to-week (and I don't mean in the Shonda-esque "shocker" at the end of every episode)? LOST? Almost every network show returns each week to the status quo, or advances some season arc forward only slightly. When you watch Designated Survivor or The Good Fight, do you honestly not know exactly what is going to happen next scene?

Network TV doesn't take any risks. Is anything on CBS or ABC shot like Mr. Robot? Does anything challenge the viewer like Twin Peaks or Westworld?

This was the first award show in recent memory where for almost every award, I could say, "wow, I've seen [almost] all of those, and every nominee is justified."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks