What's new

Infinity (1 Viewer)

kyle-sm

Agent
Can I get an opinion on infinity speakers? They are a speaker company I've always thought was supposed to be vey good, is this a misconception of mine? Are they good speakers, but you could do better for the price? How does everyone feel on this subject........

Thanks in Advance,
Kyle

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The company that today calls itself Infinity is not the same firm founded by Arnold Nudell in the late 1960s when he unleashed the legendary Servo-Static I electrostatic panel/dynamic subwoofer combo. But the higher-end products of the current Infinity enjoy a nice reputation. Lower-end speakers tend to be a bit on the bright side, though (that is, on the ones I've heard).

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion of Infinity is that they use quality parts and are well made but are a bit over-priced, especially on their lower end speakers. I agree with Jack that they have a "brighter" sound or accentuate the highs instead of a "warmer" sound which would accentuate the mids or lows. I think the Infinity Alpha series speakers are very well regarded among HT enthusiasts. As with all speaker recommendations it all comes down to whether or not YOU like how they sound. If you like the sound and feel that the price is ok then go for it.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Audioreview.com

Look up Infinity - More reviews than you can stick a shake at, faster than can be posted here.

If you see something you like, like a specific model or two, then you'll get owners to chime in and offer advice. But Infinity has too many models to garner any useful feedback here, unless the thread lives a long and active life.

Back in the day I had SM115's - cheap and efficient, good looking tower speakers. I have since moved on.

Good luck!

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Infinity Intermezzo system that is great for both HT and Music. All 5 speakers are powered, and the detail, soundstage and impact are all substantial. IMO, you would have to spend considerably more to improve. But, at $4K, it should sound good!

The Alphas are also a good line. They represent great value and performance for the $$$.

But below those it where it gets dicey for Infinity. To me the new Primus line - and the Entras they replaced - are clearly bested by several B&M and Internet brands. In that price range, I'd rather have Athena, PSB, Rockets, Energy, etc., as they are all less fatiguing...

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
They may sound bright to you, but show me a lab test frequency response curve that isn't darn near ruler flat.

Pair Infinity's up with a 'warmer' receiver like an H/K and you can't go wrong.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have a H/K avr110 running my Infinity Entra series speakers w/Entra sub...
I can tell you that HT sounds pretty good and music is right there also.In a small to mid size room,for the money,you can't go wrong...
I've been looking to upgrade to the Alpha's or even try to audition a Paradigm set up(got the bug) but my current set up sounds really good(To Me)
...Maybe when I expand to a 6 or 7.1 setup,I'll get a new H/K and everything,but for now the Entra's are fine(btw..a properly calibrated system makes a world of diffrence) :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I have Infinity RS-1s as my main speakers, a CC-1 as my center and minuette as my rears. These are connected to a H/K AVR 100 and I also think they sound great. I got these speakers on sale years ago and they have certainly stood the test of time for me. I have friends who have Paradigm speakers (monitor 7s, mini monitors, etc.) and I think my system compares reasonably well. The Paradigms are definately nice, but at 2.5 times the price that I paid for my speakers. I do agree that it is well worth getting an SPL meter and calibrating them properly. It makes a world of difference.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Pair Infinity's up with a 'warmer' receiver like an H/K and you can't go wrong.
Doesn't H/K own Infinity now days? If they do I would think/hope they would try to get a good sound out of their speakers with their receivers.

Anyway,
I have an Infinity set that I have had for quite some time. SM82 fronts, 2000.1 reference rears, a video 1 center and a recently replaced BU2 sub. I was about 16 when I got the SM82s as a gift from my dad. After that I figured I would match the set once I got into Home Theater and not just music. When I was about 18 Circuit City had a great deal on Infinitys where if you spent so much you got the center for free, so that's when I bought my rears and sub, it was a perfect deal for me since I had no money. I have enjoyed the speakers for 8 years now (fronts for 10). I have found them to sound pretty darn good in movies and OK for music. The SM82s have virtually no bass especially for an 8"woofer which I feel hurts them in the music side of things. For the money I paid though (- the cost of the fronts) I think they are not to bad of spekers at all especially after calibrating them.

As I said above I recently replaced my BU2 sub, I got an SVS 25-31pc+ and wow what a difference. The SVS did cost much more to be fair, but it seriously kicks butt.

David Judah

Screenwriter
They may sound bright to you, but show me a lab test frequency response curve that isn't darn near ruler flat.
Yes, Dr. Floyd Toole, who is highly regarded by speakers designers the world over and heads Infinity's designs, is a freak for flat response. His motto is that if it is required for electronics, then it should be required for speakers as well(and many well known and respected brands don't meet that criteria--he wrote an interesting paper about what we say we like and what we choose when the brands are unknown in blind tests). He has many other papers that can easily be found by doing a google search or by going to Harman's site. I'm, therefore, suprised that some find them bright.

At their testing facility they have rotating platforms that allow different speakers to be positioned in the identical spot for accurate comparisons and they do tours that allow visitors to compare many different brands to their own lines.

Like all manufacturers they have different levels of quality. Some, obviously, are designed more for price than sonics, but all are good at their respective price points.

DJ

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
Since we're on the topic, how does the Infinity Prelude series (circa 1997) compare with similar speakers?

I'm using a "borrowed" 'P-CC' center channel and QPS-4 surrounds (my dad doesn't even realize they're missing) and have yet to be able to find any reviews on them.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Kyle,

I've also never thought of Infinity's as bright, but that's the beauty of speakers -- what pleases me may irritate you, and vice versa. I've always felt Infinity speakers are excellent products at their respective price points. I've owned many pairs, and still use an old pair of the Reference 2000.3s in my game room and a pair of the Outriggers on my patio.

-Robb

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I've got 2 sets of Infinity's -- RS's hooked up to a circa 1998 Technics 5.1 and Interludes matched w/an HK 525 set up for 6.1.

I was able to get both sets as they were being clearanced out over the years, and am very pleased w/their performance.

I've had the RS's for 5 years and the Interludes for a year, and no problems with either.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I still run a pair of reference 2000.5 with a marantz receiver, I cant say much about their recent line of speakers but after 5+ years, I still do not feel the need to upgrade my 2000.5's.:emoji_thumbsup:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Scientific studies have shown that the majority of people perceive anything with a ruler flat frequency response (speakers, amps, etc) to sound bright. Ever notice on most people's equalizers they have that "smiley-face" EQ curve? And IIRC, that Fletcher-Munson curve thingamabob is partly responsible for this situation.

So it's not surpizing most people think studio monitors sound bright, since these loudspeakers are relied upon to reproduce the music as accurately as possible (i.e. flat response) during the music's creation.

This is why I prefer speakers like Infinity, Boston Acoustics, JBL, or Thiel because while with lousy recordings the sound is lousy, with well-recorded music the sound is awesome. And as far as really lousy recordings go, I actually have very few of these and even they are listenable buy giving the ol' treble knob a twist to the left. :)

LJ

GarAlb

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running RS5's in the front 2000.5's in the rear and a 2000.3 for a center powered by a Denon AVR-2700. I love the setup. I plan on a 3803 next year and I can use the other 2000.3 for a rear center. PB2-ISD coming tomorrow:eek:!

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
LanceJ is right on the money. Well explained Lance. i will add that with ruler flat loudspeakers, amp selection is crucial ( and pre-amp /CD player...)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My first 'real' speakers were Reference 4's. They are about 13 years old now and they still sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks