What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Stargate" Ultimate Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Great review, cant wait for this one :emoji_thumbsup:.

Heads up to Canadians Futureshop has this one listed at $19.99 on their website, pretty good deal.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I actually sold the original for about 10 bucks, glad I did, I'll be picking this one up. Great review.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It sounds like this could be an improvement over the R2 version, as the additional scenes in the Directors Cut were of a poorer quality than the rest of the film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Although I can't understand why they wasted so much space including a separate theatrical cut
It's only a waste of space if it used room that would have been utilized for other things. The UE ain't exactly loaded with extras, and I doubt that the presentation of the theatrical cut on DVD Two prevented the inclusion of something else. I regard it as a nice bonus...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
didnt the region 2 version from about a year ago come wit a box shaped like a pyramid?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Nice review, as usual, Ron. Looks like I may have to upgrade my R2 copy. How does the new director's cut material look? As Simon stated, this new material stood out like a sore thumb on the previous R1/2 versions of the extended cut.

Oh, and as Dan has already mentioned, it's DTS-ES, not EX. ;)

Adam

John H Ross

Screenwriter
It's a while since I saw this film, does it contain any location or time-specific subtitles (the burned-in kind)? If so, where they transferred to the DVD intact?

After Rambo III it's obvious that Artisan are prone to this kind of omission. I gotta ask!

John

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
All previous versions of the extra footage were taken from a tape master, from the sounds of Ron's and other reviews they may have retransferred them from film finally!

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
replacing the dreaded flipper of Stargate was basically a done deal anyway
I received the original release free when I purchased my first DVD player in 1999 (when they came with 10 free DVDs)...and have been dying for an upgrade to avoid that dreaded "flipping" ever since.

Ron, your review has me counting the days till this one hits the shelf! It's one of my favorite sci-fi films ever. Time to show off the home theater to the neighbors and crank up the DTS!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This was the very first DVD I ever saw, back in June 1997. No, not this version, of course.
I had ordered a Toshiba player in the US and it hadn't arrived yet, when my first set of 16 DVDs came. A few days later, the player.

We chose Stargate, because none of us had seen it in a cinema. We were thrilled, because the image was so terribly better than VHS, but strange things were going on in the black parts of the image. Obviously the TV-set had to be adjusted, but... Well to make a long story shorter: I'm terribly happy to read this, your opinion of the new transfer, Ron!

Thanks! And it's ordered.

Cees

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I guess I will pick up this disc as well, I only have the DTS LD of it, but this seems to be quite decent indeed. Q bit sorry to see there are noe english subtitles, but I never had much trouble understanding the dialogue in this movie anyway.

A bit surprised (but positively so) that they included Erich Von Däniken, as he is not exactly a household name, but while his theories has not got any scientific value they hold a certain entertainment value...

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
There is now a review over at DVDFile and it appears that this transfer would appear to be identical to the R2 version, in that the additional footage stands out from the rest of the film.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
This post, and Sci-Fi channel has me Stargating out. I watched the Artisan SE. I can't believe how awful it is when you pay attention. The robes of the workers at the dig were hideous.

I'll pick this one up and send out the old to a friend.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
For those who want this now, my local...very big....all night supercenter discount store :) already has these out. Got mine for $12.99 today. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I'm picking my copy up tomorrow! Finally, it's Stargate in anamorphic glory. Time for me to retire my current Stargate DVD to the closet. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
dont retire it before you send in for the 5 dollar rebate for previous owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks