What's new

HTF REVIEW: Once Upon a Time in the West (Very Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I've never seen nor heard (BLASPHEMY!) of this movie. But you guys are definitely convincing me to pick it up. My dad would always put on a good Western when I was little so I will no doubt enjoy this film.

I second the Q4 comment!:D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just saw this on a shelf and it is in a double amary.

i didn't think they were still being used.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched my dvd yesterday and it brought back memories of the first time I ever saw this film in a movie theater in 1969. What a great transfer and I'm still going through the extras as I watched about half of the film again with the audio commentary on. I might have to put the rest of the extras on the back burner until the weekend, as TTT Director's Cut dvd is talking to me about it's desire to be played on my dvd player.:)

Crawdaddy

Olli Larimo

Auditioning
R2 comes in a stylish Digipak with a booklet but lacks the original mono track.

Aficionados might want to check out the Italian R2 released by CVC as it is the longer extended cut albeit with only italian soundtrack. (170min with the 4% pal speedup whereas the Paramount PAL release is 165min, check IMDB for details).

Kudos to Paramount, despite slight EE I think this surpasses North by Northwest and Indiana Jones Trilogy as the best restoration I have seen to date.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am absolutely floored by how good this film looks. I never imagined OUATITW would ever look so good.

A top notch restoration. A 2 disc set. A 5.1 remix that is actually fairly decent. A list price of $20. Is it possible Paramount is clawing their way out of the hopelessly overpriced and clueless category? I'm not holding my breath, but this is a good sign.

They even managed to not screw up the cover.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am watching right now the First Part of the full lenght docu, An Opera of Violence.

Simply because of the fact that there is archive footage of Sergio Leone discussing OUATITW, archive footage of Henry Fonda talking about why he was cast and his opening scene with commentary and a present day interview with Claudia Cardinale.

Well done to Paramount for producing such a marvellous dvd

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim Rykel

Agent
I watched the movie and the first two documentaries. Simply put - amazing! Fantastic picture and sound. There were scenes that seemed brand new to me. One that stands out is the way station where we first meet Cheyenne. I never knew how many people where actually in that building - it was always very dark in previous versions. Great job Paramount; my disc of the year!

I'm curious - how did those who saw it for the first time like it? I envy you! :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching Parts 2 & 3 of the Documentary

thoughts about Part 2

Very much a homage to John Ford, and Leone even uses Monument Valley and some of the actors that Ford uses in all of his pictures

Thought about Part 3

Truly awesome music composed by Ennio Morricone.

Anybody else agree that Jill's Theme is very reminiscent of Deborah's Theme in OUATIA

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Future Shop website in Toronto, lists this as a ONE disc movie. They must be wrong, as various posts here (and the review) indicates it's a TWO disc set. Anyone here in Toronto that can confirm it's TWO discs? Thanks.

-Mike

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I have got another question that stems from the Documentary, Johnny Guitar.

I have never heard from this movie, can anyone tell me more

cheers

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Never having seen it before in it's correct ratio, the DVD reveals so much more about this multi-layered movie.

The shot, right at the beginning, with Woodie Strode looking out from the door of the station is pure The Searchers; I almost wept with delight at finding something new, yet so familiar.

---
So many films, so little time...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The use of the iconic Monument Valley images helps to reinforce Leone's themes regarding the transitional nature of the West during the period depicted. The placement of those images next to scenes of the railway construction underscores the passing of the old west, under the civilizing influence of the rail and the individuals that the rail brings to the west. This transition is one of the central themes of the film's back story.

Watched the DVD last night, ( I have seen the film many times on Laserdisc ) and was frankly amazed at the quality of the transfer and film presentation. Watching it on the FP last night was a great HT experience.

( Mr. Blythe, if you are reading this post - Fantastic job on the DVD by Paramount. This is one of my alltime favorites and the DVD is simply wonderful. Thanks very, very much! )

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anybody else agree that Jill's Theme is very reminiscent of Deborah's Theme in OUATIA
Definitely. that hit me the first time I saw UOATITW. Though, it would actually be the other way around. Debra's theme is reminiscent of Jill's

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
In fact, I suggest a movement to try to at least get this in the running against the DVD set we all probably suspect is likely to win.
I've already pegged this and the extended edition of The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers as the two best DVDs of the year--for my year-end column and for some national DVD awards for which I'll be among the judges. Beyond that, it's apples and oranges.

Once Upon a Time in the West is arguably the catalog release of the year, especially factoring in its price, which you must do. This is no different in presentation and quality than a two-disc Criterion release, which would go for $40. That you can get West for less than $15 at discount is nothing short of remarkable.

And I must repeat what a wonderful idea it was to involve big-name fans such as John Carpenter, Alex Cox and John Milius. I wish more DVDs of classic films did that.

I've backed up my opinion with the way I played it in Tuesday's paper vs. LOTR:TT, which is also a fantastic release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Speechless

I have just finished watching this film for
the very first time, on this very special format
known as DVD.

I am just speechless.

I have to soak this film in a bit more until
I can write everything I want to write about it.

All I can say for now is that I have never stood
up in front of my TV at the end credits and applauded
until today.

This is one of the most magnificent films and
restorations I have ever seen.

There are no words right now --- but I will write
more as soon as I put more thought to all of this
and have the opportunity to watch the supplements.

This could be the greatest film I have ever watched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks