What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Monsters, Inc." (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
BUT, I do know how the THX intro should sound. After watching it on Monsters, I thought something was wrong with my setup. Almost no bass AT ALL . So I popped in Toy Story 2 and watched the same exact THX intro. Sounded as awesome as ever, with the room shaking the whole time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the TS2 THX trailer is different from the original, because they added a ton of bass when Tex lands on the ground. The Monsters Inc trailer is the original theatrical trailer, there is no LFE when Tex lands, but there's a whole lot of bass when the cows stampede.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Watched it tonite with the kids. The picture looks great and there's plenty of LFE action. Because of the kids I only had one of my subs on (the Velodyne, not the SVS)
and it still sounded like gangbusters.
I'll have to try it again tommw with both subs going.
JohnG:star: :star: :star: :star:

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the TS2 THX trailer is different from the original, because they added a ton of bass when Tex lands on the ground. The Monsters Inc trailer is the original theatrical trailer, there is no LFE when Tex lands, but there's a whole lot of bass when the cows stampede.
You are 100% correct!! :D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I have a player lock-up on a Toshiba (???) progressive scan when I try to go to the song recording featurette under the audio section on disc 2.
Machine must be UNPLUGGED to unlock it. I have yet to try this on the JVC upstairs however. Everything else played fine, and I do mean everything. :) That's a lot of stuff to look at.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I was kinda disappointed when I saw this at the theater.
I was comparing it to "Toy Story".
I just bought this DVD from Kmart yesterday because I am all hyped up the watch it this weekend with some 4, 5 and 6 year olds.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Saw Monsters at the theater and I loved it. Watched it yesterday and I loved it even more. I am so glad my new RPTV arrived last Friday just in time for the is DVD. All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! What a beautiful image this DVD produced. The DD 5.1 was exactly what I expected from Pixar, reference quality. :emoji_thumbsup:
The heart-felt ending gets me everytime. One of the best endings ever.
Sully: "Boo?"
Boo: "Kitty!"
(fade out with Sully's smile)
-Dean-

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I agree the movie looked great and sounded great, but besides that. It was just so so.

I won't be watching it as often as I have shrek or TS 2. I probably would have been happy with a rental.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
what can I say about this DVD? my wife picked it up early tuesday morning on the way home from work and my son watched it all day while I was at work. I couldn't wait to get home to join him and my daughter to watch this treat of a movie. Beautiful animation, Sulley's fur just blew me away. Excellant sound. Cute, family story. Pixar continues to impress me and I can't wait to see Finding Nemo.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The only thing I would change about the movie is to make Boo's voice about 5 years older when Sulley enters through her closet door at the very end.

I agree about Finding Nemo. This very understated trailer seems to forecast to me a very state of the art action packed flick along the lines of A Bugs Life, but on a bigger scale.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Watched it last night. Without a doubt, reference material, especially the video! I thought it looked a tad better than the Toy Story movies, which contain a few scenes that show some slight shimmering.

Ron was right when he said this DVD looked more 3 dimensional, almost like the characters were going to walk right off the screen!

I'm still undecided about the movie itself though. Certainly not on the same level as Toy Story.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A very nice release. Not that most would care, but spec-wise, the recomposed for 4:3 version has a 384Kbps DD5.1 track, while the widescreen has a 448Kbps DD track plus all of the supplemental audio. Even though there is no DTS, this is the first Pixar film they have released on DVD with the higher bit-rate DD audio.

The Easter Eggs on the supplement disc are pretty amusing and perfect easter egg material. They have nothing to do with the film itself, but are gratuitously entertaining.

Regards,

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Hey guys...I just read through all 4 pages here, and no one has mentioned this yet. The 3 minute Mike's New Car feature has a commentary, listen to it, I guarantee you'll all get a kick out of it. I'm not sure if its for real or if its adults acting like that, but it definitely was unique and made me laugh.

Don't wanna ruin the surprise for those of you who haven't listened to it yet.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Can someone post a list of Easter Eggs plz and how to get to them, or a link?
There may be others or alternative ways to access them, but this is what I noticed. I also recommend, as others have above, that you check out the commentary track on "Mike's New Car"

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks