What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Monsters, Inc." (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Tim- I don't know if Canadian Blockbusters are participating, but in the US, if you buy a 10-week rental card for about $25 you get a free Monster's Inc next week when it's released. It was on a "while supplies last" basis, but I think the offer is still good through Monday.

Good luck!
Steve K.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I like the trailers for both Treasure Planet and Finding Nemo, both in 5.1, even though they are "forced". The disk itself is very good. I haven't even begun to dig into the extras yet. Thanks for a comprehensie review Ron.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed that Futureshop has dropped their price down to $19.99 CAD.

So it looks like it's either Walmart or Futureshop for us Canadian boys.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Ron,
Awesome review. I (and my 3yr old daughter) can't wait. I don't know if this has been asked already but how does the video compart to TS2? Sounds superior.
Marc

Miles

Second Unit
FYI For Canucks,

I believe Walmart will be including a CD-ROM demo at the $19.99 price, so I figure I'll try Walmart before Future Shop.

Miles

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
The sock scene was great. I backed up that scene 3 times!!! Was it me or was the "trailers" weak in sound in the 5.1 mix? Even my little ones asked why is sounded quite.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I think my favourite part with respect to Home Theater was the part where Boo starts screaming in the apartment
. Thick, solid deep bass, loud and natural, and downright scary with excellent imaging from front to back. :)
Although my favourite bit in the movie itself would have to be the Chuck Jones homage in the trash compactor, closely followed by an unmistakable rollercoaster scene outdoing Toy Story 2's airport interior climax. Fantastic stuff. Shrek had more (immature) laughs, Monsters Inc. has more heart, and far better animation.
Good review. Although having said that, I get the impression I've seen most of these style of extras before, in previous Pixar efforts. (Certainly, It's about equal to A Bug's Life and Toy Story's discs, but no more than before.) I'm certain Fellowship of the Ring's expanded disc set will eclipse this with respect to diverse, innovative extras. But that's another review, in a few months time.. :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I read the DVDFile review of Monsters Inc., and once again they give a puzzling rating to the video and audio. They rave about the transfer, even saying they squinted to try and find a flaw, but could find none. Still, they don't give it a perfect score. Excuse me, but shouldn't flawless mean a perfect score? It's pretty much the same case with the audio rating. DVDFile has me scratching my head lately.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Does anyone know if the Harry Potter Charades trailer is included? I'm the third to ask!

ChristopherS

Second Unit
While I might not always agree with your reviews Ron, you certainly go to great lengths to fairly critique films that initially did not impress you (both Monsters, Inc. and Pearl harbor come to mind). Keep up the good work.

Chris

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
EXCELLENT.

I'm glad to know that a disc I was already planning to get will have been released with this much care. I'm sold on all future Pixar DVDs.

Tuesday can't come too soon.

George See

Second Unit
Wow even the screenshots on this one look impressive. Great review. I love Pixar films on DVD. The ultimate toy box was one of my best purchases.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Looking forward to Pixar's next movie as well. There is a neat trailer on this DVD for it. I have a feeling the trailer does not do the movie justice, much like the Bug's Life trailer did not do that movie justice, so based on this trailer, I would say Finding Nemo is going to be one great movie.
Was it me or was the "trailers" weak in sound in the 5.1 mix? Even my little ones asked why is sounded quite.
YES. Both Finding Nemo and especially Treasure Planet are in 5.1 sound but I have to admint I was expecting a little more dynamic range considering.

MichaelG

Second Unit
I'm getting this one too, I like all the animated movies released in the last few year similar, Toy Story 1/2, Antz, Bugs Life, Shrek. These are all fun movies, and when kids visit it keeps them entertained.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Loved this one at the movies with my family in the theater! Definitely buying. Some say too "kid", but I really enjoyed it, maybe more than my kids. Nice to watch a "family film" that doesn't try to sneak in four-letter words or bathroom humor. Way to go Pixar & Disney!!

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Yes, I saw this at the movies and was skeptical at first because I wasn't interested in monsters at a factory.
I can't wait for Tuesday!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Neil. The "Finding Nemo" trailer actually reminds me a lot of the Monsters, Inc teaser trailer that just had them come out of the closet and joke around. It was hard to get a feel for the film, and certainly didn't give any hints to the amount of creativity and warmth that would be in the film.
I agree also with Scott, the "apartment" scene sure had some pretty nice sound. I don't know about it being too soft, but I thought the mix sounded pretty decently balanced.
And again Pixar gives you the sound effects only 5.1 track. Sort of dumb I suppose, yet really really cool to me. :)
One thing about Disney, they take a very user friendly approach to navigation. They give you plenty of instructions and methods for getting to the features, but they also still give you the option of a more immersive menu experience.
BTW, you have to love Mike's musical. Oh and my favorite "outtake" involved a certain character from another Pixar film. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks