What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Monsters, Inc." (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The only thing I would change about the movie is to make Boo's voice about 5 years older when Sulley enters through her closet door at the very end.
Hmmm..., maybe I missed something? Did 5 years pass between the time he put Boo back in her room to the time that he revisited her? I got the impression that maybe a year had passed.
Great movie BTW! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful disc. I only have one complaint. Why the binaural sound section? For a second, I got all excited and thought that maybe there was a binaural track for the feature. Nope. You just get a couple of fairly useless examples and an introduction to binaural sound. What was the point of this? What does binaural sound have to do with MONSTERS, INC.? Kind of a waste of space, IMHO. Complete filler. That said, the majority of the extras were quite good. I LOVED the play program.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I saw it in the theater and liked it. We watched it last night and I liked it even more. I'm just amazed at how realistic the environment looked. The lighting, sounds and textures of the secret lab was especially amazing. Reference DVD material. And the extras are fantastic! Those poor saps who buy the video tape are really missing out.

Pixar is such a great studio, I hope they continue on this amazing run of films and DVD releases!

IMO, here's my ranking of Pixar's releases

1. Toy Story 2
2. Monster's Inc.
3 Toy Story 1
4. A Bug's Life

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
First off, I think this is my new favorite Pixar film taking over Toy Story 2. I definately put it ahead of Shrek from last year and more deserving of the oscar but hey, that is another thread. :)
The transfer does look incredible. Holy moly!! I'm definately using this film to showcase how good a projector looks. :D
One small annoyance I had was that alot of the extras are just duplicates. What is the point of that? You navigate around to find all the extras and you only find ones that you already viewed on another section of the extras.
That aside, my favorites so far are the set fly arounds. You have to watch the Monsters Inc. set fly by. Great sound and some funny jokes in it as well. I also loved the whole musical outtake. Those were all great.
The Finding Nemo trailer has me psyched for next summer. It looks like it will have photo realistic underwater animation. The coral was breathtaking.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
One other Easter Egg:

Highlight the eye in the Monster Logo from the main Monster World menu page.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
One small annoyance I had was that alot of the extras are just duplicates. What is the point of that? You navigate around to find all the extras and you only find ones that you already viewed on another section of the extras.
The only thing that is a duplicate is the "Production Tour" which as the insert shows, is just a way of viewing the main video feature from all the different sections. If you plan on viewing everything from the other sections, the only point of checking out the Production Tour is for the Easter Eggs and intro at the end. There's also a couple of ways of accessing the "Outtakes" and "Mike's New Car", but I suppose those were the very basic features, and would have been on Disc 1 had there been no Fullscreen release.

Still a bit of an annoyance, though, I suppose.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
If you follow the paper on Sulley's clipboard, they are still in their first year of production (about Sept or October), so imagine less than a year has passed. I know that my 5 year old's voice hasn't changed much at all in a year, so they did a decent job with the subtle change they did, IMHO.
As far as the picture, it was absolutely stunning. I loved Blade 2, but this is better to show off a video display. I watched Monsters, Inc today with the family again and then put in A Bug's Life SE and it actually didn't hold up to Monsters in term of clarity and sound. I was shocked. Bug's Life is still great, but not in the same league as Monsters, Inc. And, for the reasons mentioned above, I was REALLY impressed with the audio. I always prefer the DTS track of my DVD's, and was disappointed that this disc didn't have it. However, once the movie started, I was impressed and didn't miss it. They did a great job all the way around. Kudos to Pixar, and bring on Nemo!!

Matt

sean_dietz

Agent
In addition to all of the above praise,
this movie is a great exercise dvd for your subwoofer!
There are quite a few scenes where my sub would shake
the room. Especially when the human sock is blown up
and when Boo laughs and a power surge occurs. WOW!:D
I would love to see some freq charts from SVS.
Sean

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Monsters, Inc. in the theater, but on DVD, it is as close to perfection on video quality as any disc I have ever seen. Monsters, Inc. has a picture quality that is something to be hold, the movement of hair, accuracy of shading, shadows..

I enjoyed Shrek as well (own a copy) but the quality of artwork that Pixar puts forward is really hard to imagine any other way; it is so refined, so detailed that it really helps add that bit of "wonder" to the film.

This is a great DVD, a true treasure in my collection; I'd recommend to anyone if for no other reason then the visuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks